• The KillerFrogs

ESPN article about SWC's demise

LSU Game Attendee

Round robin schedule is a meat grinder. Zero sum game. Add Colorado even if we can't get anyone else. 11 teams, 8 conference games and a CC game. SEC only plays 8 conference games and their top tier teams have better records. That's what we need to do. Colorado, Colorado and Utah, or the Arizona teams. 12 is better than 11, 11 is better than 10.
ACC and SEC are structured to best game the current envronment, sans COVID.

LeagueCityFrog

Eight

There is an article in the Denver post that reads like Colorado would like to make a U-Turn and come back to the Big XII. That Pac-12 gamble did not payoff for them. The two Arizona schools are financially better off than most the other schools in their conference. They need to be poached by Bob Bowlsby with Colorado.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.de.../cu-athletics-pac-12-revenue-coronavirus/amp/

there is three so go add one more legit program

no reaches, no unm or colorado state. utah would be a good addition

bronco

Here is my new idea, which makes a whole lot of sense IMO, but will never happen of course unless they decide to do away with the traditional conferences (I said it would never happen).

1) Create six new 11-school conferences made up the the current P5 programs plus one lucky school. Determine conferences strictly by location. G5s stay like they are.
2) Expand the regular season to 13 games and eliminate the CCGs. Every team plays a 10-team RR within their league, 5 home games, 5 road games, plus 3 OOC games.
3) 14-week season starts when it does now, 1 bye week for everyone.
4) 12-team playoff. League winners plus four at large from the 6 major divisions, plus two at large from the G5's.
5) Seeds #1-4 get bye for 1st round of playoffs.
6) Bowls for teams outside the top 12, starting when they do now.

If schools can decide this is worth ditching a whole bunch of tradition over, something like this could really work for everyone. Combination between NFL-like structure and the current college format.

Seems like way to logical of a solution Not sure I would guarantee G5 two spots but I would try to structure things so that there is room for two G5 if they are worthy.

Wexahu

Seems like way to logical of a solution Not sure I would guarantee G5 two spots but I would try to structure things so that there is room for two G5 if they are worthy.

10 P5's is plenty, too many actually. If you do that, I don't think two G5s is too many, keeps them in the game.

I was actually thinking 10-team playoff with same format but two fewer P6 at large's but a 10-team single elimination tournament doesn't work well. With 8 there aren't enough at-larges and/or the G5's get left out, and 16 is way too many teams IMO.

Frozen Frog

I laughed at that one. According to him, he didn't cheat but everyone else did. LOL.

I didn't cheat. We just got caught cheating.

Translation to the modern Baylor fans: This is everybody else hating us because we are good. It is persecution due to our faith.

Translation to other fans: Baylor has always been capable of doing less with more. They will do whatever they can to cheat and try to cover up trail.

Frozen Frog

Nebraska ain't coming back. Unless they can stay in the big10network. Too much $$ up there.

I am not sure it will be entirely Nebraska's choice with the Big Ten. There seems to be some smoke where there is growing divide between Nebraska and the conference. Also Nebraska seems to crave its old Big 8 rivalries. Getting those back especially an annual game with OU might make the move highly attractive to them.

Adding Colorado and the Arizona schools or even Utah might make sense. I think a travel partner with a traditional rival for WV would also be a great move. Pitt might be a great candidate. Cincinnati or Memphis might also make some sense. Three time zones is generally avoided, but with modern travel it might not be a major issue.

Eight

I am not sure it will be entirely Nebraska's choice with the Big Ten. There seems to be some smoke where there is growing divide between Nebraska and the conference. Also Nebraska seems to crave its old Big 8 rivalries. Getting those back especially an annual game with OU might make the move highly attractive to them.

Adding Colorado and the Arizona schools or even Utah might make sense. I think a travel partner with a traditional rival for WV would also be a great move. Pitt might be a great candidate. Cincinnati or Memphis might also make some sense.

why pitt, cincy or memphis?

the move needs to be made what is best for the conference as a whole if the goal is to keep the conference together and what do cincy and memphis bring to the conference other than a school in an already saturated broadcast market and overcrowded recruiting grounds

frogetaboutit

grant didn't cheat?

yeah

Ha! So much this. Should hear stories about my brothers recruiting trip to Waco. There ARE strip clubs in Waco, Baylor coeds DO love to party and CGT might not have been above doing a little black bagging of his own.

There’s that, then he ends up in Dallas with Fry where a GTO may or may not have been involved in his decision.

Everybody including us was doing it. Period. Some were just better at it than others.

Eight

Ha! So much this. Should hear stories about my brothers recruiting trip to Waco. There ARE strip clubs in Waco, Baylor coeds DO love to party and CGT might not have been above doing a little black bagging of his own.

There’s that, then he ends up in Dallas with Fry where a GTO may or may not have been involved in his decision.

Everybody including us was doing it. Period. Some were just better at it than others.

very true, though i am CERTAIN grant was never involved in negative recruiting or making promises he never intended to keep to a prospect

bronco

10 P5's is plenty, too many actually. If you do that, I don't think two G5s is too many, keeps them in the game.

I was actually thinking 10-team playoff with same format but two fewer P6 at large's but a 10-team single elimination tournament doesn't work well. With 8 there aren't enough at-larges and/or the G5's get left out, and 16 is way too many teams IMO.

you might be right. Looked at last years poll after conference championship games and a twelve team format might look like this
Top 4 (no particular order)- Clem OSU LSU Oklahoma
The rest- Bama UGA Oregon Notre Dame Memphis Baylor Utah Boise

A few teams could have arguments but this would be a decent field. First round games would be held on campus at highest seed.

Froggish

Here is my new idea, which makes a whole lot of sense IMO, but will never happen of course unless they decide to do away with the traditional conferences (I said it would never happen).

1) Create six new 11-school conferences made up the the current P5 programs plus one lucky school. Determine conferences strictly by location. G5s stay like they are.
2) Expand the regular season to 13 games and eliminate the CCGs. Every team plays a 10-team RR within their league, 5 home games, 5 road games, plus 3 OOC games.
3) 14-week season starts when it does now, 1 bye week for everyone.
4) 12-team playoff. League winners plus four at large from the 6 major divisions, plus two at large from the G5's.
5) Seeds #1-4 get bye for 1st round of playoffs.
6) Bowls for teams outside the top 12, starting when they do now.

If schools can decide this is worth ditching a whole bunch of tradition over, something like this could really work for everyone. Combination between NFL-like structure and the current college format.

Sign me up

Virginia Frog

Think about it another way, Big 10 bringing in Rutgers + Maryland basically guarantees their conference opponents +1 win every season.
Mention the football teams of Rutgers and Maryland to any long-standing Big 10 fan and they'll vomit. Yes, easy wins for the teams, snooze-fest for their fans.

It was a big mistake to recruit those two schools. They belong in the ACC. WVA or Pitt would have been a better "add." Then it was all about TV eyeballs/geography and cable systems but now after some time it's clear that adding weak teams is a long-term fail.

Adding Nebraska was a positive for the Ten, but a mistake for the Cornhusker crowd.

Froginbedford

why pitt, cincy or memphis?

the move needs to be made what is best for the conference as a whole if the goal is to keep the conference together and what do cincy and memphis bring to the conference other than a school in an already saturated broadcast market and overcrowded recruiting grounds

Memphis is not exactly a saturated TV market....Saint Louis and Nashville are closest major markets....