• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Purp

Assuming they’re both identical models and features and no other options will be considered, which vehicle would you buy?

a) a 2012 with 75,000 miles for $20,000
b) a 2014 with 45,000 miles for $25,000
Also assuming the condition is the same? Be seems like way too obvious of a choice. I'd wonder what the owner knows is wrong with it.

Paul in uhh

I feel like B is the better choice also. Mrs Paul prefers the cheaper one based on price only.

I feel like low mileage is the way to go despite the cost increase (we can afford both).

Would love any other thoughts you guys have on build quality /reliability with these. My parents had several in the early 2000s and they were solid.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I feel like B is the better choice also. Mrs Paul prefers the cheaper one based on price only.

I feel like low mileage is the way to go despite the cost increase (we can afford both).

Would love any other thoughts you guys have on build quality /reliability with these. My parents had several in the early 2000s and they were solid.
2014 model year is in the window of those that have almost 100 percent failure rate on the AC. You may want to find out if it’s been replaced yet. It’s not cheap. Also there is a transmission issue that has to be fixed on too many of those model years. Might want to look into that as well.

Source: my 2016 has suffered both issues.

Double V

The 1st and 2nd gen Tahoes/Yukons (1992-2006) were beasts. Common issues with the 3rd gen models (2007-2014) have been stated above. The big one was the switch to the 6spd transmission (6L80) from the older 4spd (4L60). Have seen the 6spds fail at an alarming rate. My recollection is that there's a design flaw where some internal part literally rubs on the trans housing and wears itself out over time.

Paul in uhh

The 1st and 2nd gen Tahoes/Yukons (1992-2006) were beasts. Common issues with the 3rd gen models (2007-2014) have been stated above. The big one was the switch to the 6spd transmission (6L80) from the older 4spd (4L60). Have seen the 6spds fail at an alarming rate. My recollection is that there's a design flaw where some internal part literally rubs on the trans housing and wears itself out over time.
Starting to think I should avoid them or maybe pony up for the next generation.

Next question: would you buy a 2012 Denali with 75,000 miles for $20k or a 2015(new body design) with less upgrades and 85,000 miles for $27k?

Last edited:

Double V

Or get
Starting to think I should avoid them or maybe pony up for the next generation.

Next question: would you buy a 2012 Denali with 75,000 miles for $20k or a 2015(new body design) with less upgrades and 85,000 miles for $27k?
Well the good news is, when they DO fail, just about every competent mechanic knows how to fix it and use improved parts that won't fail again. Also, the 5.3 and 6.0/6.2 motors are pretty much rock solid.

nwlafrog

I have a 2018 Tahoe Texas edition. Love the truck, but there’s always something minor happening, sunglasses holder falling off the roof liner, plastic back seat lights falling out the roof liner, wheel well rubber trim popping out regularly, CD player stuck. Could also be that my wife is an awful driver and my kids are terrors inside of that thing.

Those little things could probably happen in a lot of SUV’s where the lights and plastic holders are always being pushed and used. I have had them repaired for free at the dealer without any issue.

Strong engine and transmission and surprisingly great mpg for a 4wd full size SUV at an average of 18mpg.

TCURiggs

I’d buy a Ford so that way you’re not buying a piece of ship

Only way I'd suggest getting an Expedition is if it's 2015 or newer with the EcoBoost. My wife had a 2012 Expedition and that thing sucked (5.4L V8 version). I ended up discovering that engine was awful... almost always had problems before 100K miles, apparently. Terrible gas mileage as well. Wife now has a 2018 Yukon and that 6.0L is so much better

Ron Swanson

Only way I'd suggest getting an Expedition is if it's 2015 or newer with the EcoBoost. My wife had a 2012 Expedition and that thing sucked (5.4L V8 version). I ended up discovering that engine was awful... almost always had problems before 100K miles, apparently. Terrible gas mileage as well. Wife now has a 2018 Yukon and that 6.0L is so much better
I’m just busting balls about GM because I drive an F-150.

I do like those new Expeditions though, they look sharp.