• The KillerFrogs

Interesting tweet from Kendall Rogers...

Pharm Frog

If he was gonna be the starter at UT, why would he drop down...other than to extend his college career??

And just because Jucos do not recognize this year counting towards eligibility...will D1 schools not count it as well??

Either way...this sounds like a kid Schloss would love to have if he wants to bounce back to D1. He's a former football player from a DFW school.

Was he going to be a starter?

EDIT: also hearing Duplantier is having or recently had elbow surgery. Was told last night that Brenden is coming to Weatherford College which makes sense.

Pharm Frog

I expect a massive influx of D1 transfers heading to JUCOs over the Christmas break.

As do I but they better be very careful where they go. Going to a NM Juco would be highly, highly risky. Same for CO. Would need to check on who’s governor of the state and county judges/councils. Texas and Oklahoma juco’s are probably as safe as they get but heard yesterday that there’s some concern brewing in the Jayhawk about the spring season. Hearing this from some families who’s kids are looking to switch from KS juco’s to Tonkawa, Enid, Seminole, or NEO.

Moose Stuff

As do I but they better be very careful where they go. Going to a NM Juco would be highly, highly risky. Same for CO. Would need to check on who’s governor of the state and county judges/councils. Texas and Oklahoma juco’s are probably as safe as they get but heard yesterday that there’s some concern brewing in the Jayhawk about the spring season. Hearing this from some families who’s kids are looking to switch from KS juco’s to Tonkawa, Enid, Seminole, or NEO.

I've thanked god pretty much every day since this all started that I live in Texas.

Pharm Frog

I've thanked god pretty much every day since this all started that I live in Texas.

The kid I mentioned to you who had to quarantine before getting on the field at the NM juco is having to make a decision whether to go back after Christmas break because he'll have to do it all over again AND the governor there has gone bat [ Finebaum ] crazy and nobody trusts that she won't shut down the state for two or three weeks repeatedly or have certain counties shut down.

Pharm Frog

Now that I have the three of you together, will one of you tell me how exactly this benefits a guy like Brennan?

Here's how I see it: First and mostly, playing time without burning a year of eligibility AND getting complete transfer freedom. There's gonna be a logjam of players at many D1 schools and PT within limited schedules is gonna be valuable. Secondly, possibly more games to be seen. While this is an unknown as yet, generally speaking the juco's aren't as rigidly governed by entities like the NCAA and P5 conferences who are beholden to things like public opinion and legislators and such.

EDIT: As Punter mentioned, the draft eligibility thing is another benefit but I don't know if this particular kid would have been already been draft eligible at UT. Also, not sure if MLB has decided on the number of rounds they'll have in next year's draft. If it's as limited as 2020, it makes a kid's decision making all that more interesting. But if he has a few "whispers" in his ear from "advisors", who knows?

Frog92

Yeah, the logjam is a good point. Gotta be careful what’s left when the logjam clears. Thanks.
Have a kid who is a freshman at a very good juco program in TX. The logjam is very real and only about to get worse. It sucks that the kids in his class - the ones that lost their senior high school seasons - continue to be the most impacted by all this.

He was supposed to go to California to play, but the restrictions they had to deal with out there made him switch course.

hometown frog

Area juco baseball is going to be unreal this season. I’ve got a few kids that played for me this last summer playing juco and I’m almost as excited to see some of their games as I am watching TCU games at Lupton.

my son is a 2026 grad and I suspect his recruiting class will still be impacted by the ripples this whole jumble has caused area baseball. I’m just hopeful the expand scholly limits and coaching limits across the board as a result of all this. At least SOMETHING good will have come from it all. (I personally think a 15ish round MLB is a positive move I suspect will happen, but I know that’s up for debate if it’s good value bad overall.)

Punter1

Area juco baseball is going to be unreal this season. I’ve got a few kids that played for me this last summer playing juco and I’m almost as excited to see some of their games as I am watching TCU games at Lupton.

my son is a 2026 grad and I suspect his recruiting class will still be impacted by the ripples this whole jumble has caused area baseball. I’m just hopeful the expand scholly limits and coaching limits across the board as a result of all this. At least SOMETHING good will have come from it all. (I personally think a 15ish round MLB is a positive move I suspect will happen, but I know that’s up for debate if it’s good value bad overall.)

Why would a 15 round draft be good?? Just asking? So more players can pick which organizations they want to go to?? And maybe since many won't be drafted there won't be the pressure to sign thus elevating the college game??

What I think potentially would happen is more international kids would be signed as free agents to fill the spots American kids would bypass for college.

Every D1 school needs at least 25 full scholarships. Its insaine we aren't there yet as popular as college baseball has become and what these extra scholarships could do to elevate the game...bringing in tons of money and attention to the NCAA and the universities.

Moose Stuff

Touching on a few things from above.... MLB had not decided how long the draft will be. I'm expecting 10-20 and also that it will become permanently shortened. That won't impact HS signing at all. The best ones will all still sign (or at least the ones that want to). What a shorter draft WILL do is keep more of the juniors in school for their senior year. At the end of the day.... less minor league teams (due to contraction) = less need for players = less rounds in the draft = good for college baseball.

Punter1

Touching on a few things from above.... MLB had not decided how long the draft will be. I'm expecting 10-20 and also that it will become permanently shortened. That won't impact HS signing at all. The best ones will all still sign (or at least the ones that want to). What a shorter draft WILL do is keep more of the juniors in school for their senior year. At the end of the day.... less minor league teams (due to contraction) = less need for players = less rounds in the draft = good for college baseball.

Sounds like the MLB is going the NFL route and will let college be their additional, defacto minor leagues. Which I think ifor the college game obviously s great as long as we can increase the scholarship levels so we have an even playing field with the cheaper public schools.

Also, curious on why you don't think a shortened draft won't decrease HS signings? I know the best will always sign if they want to....but dont many 20+ round HS picks sign just because they may want the cash, don't want to go to college or think pro ball is better development??

I know those guys will still be available the FA route after the draft...just seems like more HS kids, along with college Juniors, will be kept outta pro ball

Moose Stuff

Sounds like the MLB is going the NFL route and will let college be their additional, defacto minor leagues. Which I think ifor the college game obviously s great as long as we can increase the scholarship levels so we have an even playing field with the cheaper public schools.

Also, curious on why you don't think a shortened draft won't decrease HS signings? I know the best will always sign if they want to....but dont many 20+ round HS picks sign just because they may want the cash, don't want to go to college or think pro ball is better development??

I know those guys will still be available the FA route after the draft...just seems like more HS kids, along with college Juniors, will be kept outta pro ball

In the grand scheme of things there are maybe a handful of HS kids that sign after the 10th round. I don't have the data in front of me but it's a real small number.

Purp

I think the late round high school kids you're talking about typically go the JuCo route unless they're set on a university experience. As Moose said, the best high school kids who could really make the college game much better are typically much higher than round 10. It seems like the kids TCU loses are usually the first 2 rounds and maybe the 3rd. Past that we usually get them on campus if memory serves.

I think the JuCo game gets a HUGE boost from a shorter draft.

Punter1

In the grand scheme of things there are maybe a handful of HS kids that sign after the 10th round. I don't have the data in front of me but it's a real small number.

Interesting, I thought more late round HS kids signed...and I agree with Purp that JuCos are gonna do great in this scenario. But so are the 4 year schools.

I just wish the NCAA would get ahead of this with the scholarship allotments..Its just mind-boggling why they don't see the opportunity to grow the college game..

Pharm Frog

What makes you think that the NCAA will start increasing scholarships for men’s athletics? If anything it’s probably gonna go opposite now. If they do increase it I would strongly expect that it would have to be offset by a corresponding increase in women’s scholarship opportunities which could very well start killing off programs again.

I actually see a cottage industry possibly developing from existing non-academic based organizations for athletes to showcase their talents for pro scouts. Might take a while but that’s where I see it going unless fundamental change to the “student-athlete” model.