• The KillerFrogs

Another 11am game....

FrogAbroad

:):) Two thumbs up for pasilla chiles. Also guajillos.

This year I opted out of smoked turkey and fell back on my personal tradition of homemade chili. I miss the wide selection of dried chiles I had in Guatemala, but made out ok with some powdered varieties. But gonna plant a garden in early spring to raise my own for next year. My own chili and some tamales rojos from Gussie's made this year's T'giving meal a delight.

Oh...and some amzing fruitcake from Corsicana...

SuperBarrFrog

um, no thank you.

love,
the West coasters

I’m in Atlanta so it’s noon for me. I always thought it would be fun to get up Sunday morning and watch NFL. Also I can’t stay up for SNF or MNF here on the east coast since I have to get up at 5:30 or sometimes earlier for work.

Last edited:

Westsider

We were guests at my MiL's home, and we were only responsible for the pie this year. Thus, we have no leftovers.

I really like turkey, and since there are so many around right about now, it's a great time to fire up the pit and get cooking!

One of my favorite dishes to put together at this time of year is Mole' Turkey. Mole is a complex sauce/stew made up of a host of different spices and ingredients. No two recipes are the same, and there are huge regional differences in approach to the final product. I am a fan of the Oaxacan Style mole, and make a similar blend to act as the base for my dish. Three chilie powders, Ancho, Mulatto, and Pasilla Negra, make up the Holy Trinity and form the basis for the sauce. I like True Cinnamon, cumin, Allspice, toasted ground pecans, raisins, sun-dried tomatoes and stewed tomatoes, epazote, Mexican oregano, dried sourdough...

I attached a recipe below. It gives a good breakdown of the ingredients and preparation. Obviously, I mix and match to suit my own tastes. (Example: I detest cloves, so those are 86'd. But I think chocolate is lovely in mole, so a hockey-puck of Abuelita is chopped in towards the end. YMMV.)

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/teotitlan-style-black-mole-232061

A quick search will show you dozens of mole recipes and preparations. I treat them like a Chinese buffet: take what you like, leave what you don't. The prep is really the magic, with the slow buildup of many flavors and the toasting of each ingredient to bring out the oils and aromas.

I have found that turkey, being a native bird and all, blends well with the mole spicing. Cooking the bird, especially the dark meat in the mole sauce, allows the flavors to meld beautifully. I serve the finished sauce and bird together and allow guests (or myownself) to simply build tacos with the bird and side goodies such as cheese or other things. A whole bird doesn't last long...

You and I are on the opposite ends of the patience scale.

LisaLT

I’m in Atlanta so it’s noon for me. I always thought it would be fun to get up Sunday morning and watch NFL. Also I can’t stay up for SNF or MNF here on the east coast since I have to get up at 5:30 or sometimes earlier for work.
I am cool with the 11am start (9am here). I watch in my jammies, then have the rest of the day left. I do like monday night or thursday night NFL games starting early. That is always better than the 9pm EST start.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
:):) Two thumbs up for pasilla chiles. Also guajillos.

This year I opted out of smoked turkey and fell back on my personal tradition of homemade chili. I miss the wide selection of dried chiles I had in Guatemala, but made out ok with some powdered varieties. But gonna plant a garden in early spring to raise my own for next year. My own chili and some tamales rojos from Gussie's made this year's T'giving meal a delight.

Oh...and some amzing fruitcake from Corsicana...
Gawd, the markets in Guatemala must have been wonderful! All kinds of produce, dried stuff, spices, herbs...

SuperBarrFrog

I am cool with the 11am start (9am here). I watch in my jammies, then have the rest of the day left. I do like monday night or thursday night NFL games starting early. That is always better than the 9pm EST start.
Mimosas Or Bloody Marys and football sounds good to me!

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I went to a friend's house for Thanksgiving and was helping in the kitchen when, instead of a turkey, she opens up a cryovac package of sliced ham. Oh, so disappointed. So the next day I went to Rudy's bbq and had turkey there. Then I was okay.

PO Frog

I went to a friend's house for Thanksgiving and was helping in the kitchen when, instead of a turkey, she opens up a cryovac package of sliced ham. Oh, so disappointed. So the next day I went to Rudy's bbq and had turkey there. Then I was okay.
Seems like that is something that should be disclosed beforehand. Pretty integral part of thanksgiving.