• The KillerFrogs

Other Games: Turkey Weekend

Moose Stuff

Right, it is a fact. It’s also a fact that it was nothing more than a publicity stunt.

I can't imagine caring WHY she got this opportunity. It happened and it was a cool moment. I know this because my wife and 2 youngest daughters all told me they thought it was cool. My youngest asked me no fewer than 7-8 times yesterday if she had gotten in the game yet. I don't see the point in responding to her with "who cares sweetheart, it's just a publicity stunt".

Moose Stuff

They are acting as if history has been made and the world is now safe for democracy. Big difference between a kicker and a noseguard.

Seems odd to me that so many of you need to go out of your way to point that out. I totally get that it was a publicity stunt. I still think it was a a really cool moment.

froginmn

I don't understand at all why this bothers people so much. No one is mentioning Katie Hnida because UNM isn't a P5 school. Stating that this young lady is the first female to play for a P5 is simply stating a fact.
I don't have a horse in the race, but Katie Hnida made the Colorado (P5) football team as a walk on, and was there for an entire year. Then she went to New Mexico, was on the team for an entire season, and made a couple XP's.

This girl was added to the team because of COVID and made a VERY average squib kick.

Hnida has a better football resume IMO.

Zubaz

I can't imagine caring WHY she got this opportunity. It happened and it was a cool moment. I know this because my wife and 2 youngest daughters all told me they thought it was cool. My youngest asked me no fewer than 7-8 times yesterday if she had gotten in the game yet. I don't see the point in responding to her with "who cares sweetheart, it's just a publicity stunt".
Like everything else these days it's just another proxy for the culture war. Progressives are happy to see a woman play at the highest level of college football (insert Vandy joke here) because it plays to their identity politics, so there has to be backlash against that instead of being a normal human and saying "huh, that's pretty cool to see".

If it was 1947, these same people would be saying "I guess we all forgot about Moses Walker?"

froginmn

Like everything else these days it's just another proxy for the culture war. Progressives are happy to see a woman play at the highest level of college football (insert Vandy joke here) because it plays to their identity politics, so there has to be backlash against that instead of being a normal human and saying "huh, that's pretty cool to see".

If it was 1947, these same people would be saying "I guess we all forgot about Moses Walker?"
Either that, or people know that another woman spent four years making two football teams and scored points before, but because it was New Mexico instead of Vanderbilt, we somehow think it was less impressive. Even though she also made the Colorado team but didn't play.

2003 New Mexico would beat 2020 Vandy.

Moose Stuff

Can you forget about Moses Walker if you don't know who he is?

Moose Stuff

I don't have a horse in the race, but Katie Hnida made the Colorado (P5) football team as a walk on, and was there for an entire year. Then she went to New Mexico, was on the team for an entire season, and made a couple XP's.

This girl was added to the team because of COVID and made a VERY average squib kick.

Hnida has a better football resume IMO.

It was a publicity stunt. Did I do that right?

Eight

Either that, or people know that another woman spent four years making two football teams and scored points before, but because it was New Mexico instead of Vanderbilt, we somehow think it was less impressive. Even though she also made the Colorado team but didn't play.

2003 New Mexico would beat 2020 Vandy.

this, i have yet to see what vandy asked her to do yesterday no one else on that roster could have accomplished and that was a 20 yard squib kick and not sure what it merited such attention.

in all honesty, it was the epitome of a big deal being made of a situation solely because she was a woman and our youngest daughter found it to be a bit of a sham

froginmn

It was a publicity stunt. Did I do that right?
One player was on a football roster for four years, and scored in a game. Why is she not recognized? Because Vandy is a "P5" team?

Yeah, a player suiting up for one game and squibbing a ball 30 yards is more impressive.

I remember when we won the Rose Bowl but that didn't count.

Moose Stuff

One player was on a football roster for four years, and scored in a game. Why is she not recognized? Because Vandy is a "P5" team?

Yeah, a player suiting up for one game and squibbing a ball 30 yards is more impressive.

I remember when we won the Rose Bowl but that didn't count.

You guys are trying WAY too hard. Katie Hnida was FULLY recognized at the time. She wasn't recognized yesterday because what she did happened almost 20 years ago and was different than what this young lady is being recognized for. Both events are very cool and whether one was more impressive than the other seems beyond irrelevant to me. And the Rose Bowl comment just doesn't even make any sense.

Eight

You guys are trying WAY too hard. Katie Hnida was FULLY recognized at the time. She wasn't recognized yesterday because what she did happened almost 20 years ago and was different than what this young lady is being recognized for. Both events are very cool and whether one was more impressive than the other seems beyond irrelevant to me. And the Rose Bowl comment just doesn't even make any sense.

yesterday is far more akin to the blind deep snapper at usc getting into the game in a situation that was very cool, but also very structured and a bit contrived

in all honesty the blind deep snapper had to show more proficiency than the woman at vandy

froginmn

My point is that Fuller wasn't the first. Unless you think that P5 really matters. Which is the point of the Rose Bowl comment. We weren't P5.

And again, Hnida was a four year member of two teams, including a team that is P5. Fuller spent a week with the football team. Fuller's accomplishment is great, except it wasn't as skillful as what Hnida did. And she wasn't the first.

Moose Stuff

My point is that Fuller wasn't the first. Unless you think that P5 really matters. Which is the point of the Rose Bowl comment. We weren't P5.

And again, Hnida was a four year member of two teams, including a team that is P5. Fuller spent a week with the football team. Fuller's accomplishment is great, except it wasn't as skillful as what Hnida did. And she wasn't the first.

You're arguing against a point NOBODY is making. No one denies that Katie Hnida was the first female to PLAY in a D1 football game. Fuller was the first to PLAY in a P5 game. It isn't this hard man.