• The KillerFrogs

5 years ago today....

Punter1

That asshat RB we stuffed on 4th down got arrested for hitting his GF like 10 days later...

I own tons of snowboard/ski gear and never thought it would be that miserable at the game so I brought none of it...never been less equipped for a game in my life....Iowa State in 2012 was a close second. Froze my azz off there also.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Was wearing plenty of cold gear. But, alas, not waterproof cold gear. And the cheapie rain poncho tore before the game even started. Ugh.

The Rape U. [ Finebaum ]s in better seats some rows in front of us had some really nice weather proof cold gear. They might have been [ Finebaum ]s, but they were warm and toasty [ Finebaum ]s. I have two sets of that rain gear at Brewingfrog Manor, just in case...

"There is no such thing as inclement weather, only inappropriate clothing."

Frog DJ

I've been to colder football games than this one. For instance, the blizzard in Colorado Springs was much more frigid, but the conditions for the Baylor game in ACS were much more miserable. Neither game could match the arctic-like circumstances I endured as Sergeant-of-the-Guard one night in Korea while in the US Army.

My son opted out of the trip from Sugar Land to Fort Worth, because he didn't want my 4-year old grandson to be exposed to such extreme weather conditions, so I drove the distance and attended the game alone (not for the first time, so no problem). I had three layers of clothing and my rain poncho was as ineffective as Brewing's was.

The Baylor fans behind me were extremely loud and arrogant for the first quarter, but quietly disappeared mid-way through the second period - never to be seen again. I stuck it out to the end, but like others in this thread - I found my leather gloves were so soaked that my hands were actually warmer without them, so I stuffed them in my pockets.

I was not about to go to that much trouble and leave early, and I ended up befriending two fellow Frog fans with whom I never even exchanged names, but by the end of the game we were virtually best buddies. When the Frogs sealed the win I simply raised my hands over my head and shouted "Revenge - revenge - revenge!" over and over again, and I aimed it at any BU fan I could.

Fortuitously, I had packed an extra set of dry clothing, because when I arrived at my truck I was soaked to the skin (yes, even the thermal underwear), so I started peeling off dripping wet layers. The thought occurred to me that running the heater might make me feel better, but when I tried to start the truck I discovered that the battery was utterly and completely dead!

After donning dry clothes I called AAA, but they were backed up for "an hour," according to the nice woman who answered the phone. That hour turned into 3, and I was physically shivering despite the heavy down coat I had brought as a back up. The AAA guy started my car within a few minutes and he said, "Just drive around for half an hour or so and you'll be fine."

My daughter was on the phone insisting that I allow her to book me a hotel room south of Fort Worth, but I told her, "Nope. I filled up with gas before I parked so I'm not gonna even shut off the engine. This is gonna be a non-stop flight all the way to Sugar Land." I drove straight through, and as I turned on to our street the sun was just breaking over the horizon.

But it was absolutely worth it, because all the way home I keep screaming out loud, "Revenge - revenge - revenge!"

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

TCURiggs

I've been to colder football games than this one. For instance, the blizzard in Colorado Springs was much more frigid, but the conditions for the Baylor game in ACS were much more miserable. Neither game could match the arctic-like circumstances I endured as Sergeant-of-the-Guard one night in Korea while in the US Army.

My son opted out of the trip from Sugar Land to Fort Worth, because he didn't want my 4-year old grandson to be exposed to such extreme weather conditions, so I drove the distance and attended the game alone (not for the first time, so no problem). I had three layers of clothing and my rain poncho was as ineffective as Brewing's was.

The Baylor fans behind me were extremely loud and arrogant for the first quarter, but quietly disappeared mid-way through the second period - never to be seen again. I stuck it out to the end, but like others in this thread - I found my leather gloves were so soaked that my hands were actually warmer without them, so I stuffed them in my pockets.

I was not about to go to that much trouble and leave early, and I ended up befriending two fellow Frog fans with whom I never even exchanged names, but by the end of the game we were virtually best buddies. When the Frogs sealed the win I simply raised my hands over my head and shouted "Revenge - revenge - revenge!" over and over again, and I aimed it at any BU fan I could.

Fortuitously, I had packed an extra set of dry clothing, because when I arrived at my truck I was soaked to the skin (yes, even the thermal underwear), so I started peeling off dripping wet layers. The thought occurred to me that running the heater might make me feel better, but when I tried to start the truck I discovered that the battery was completely dead!

After donning dry clothes I called AAA, but they were backed up for "an hour," according to the nice woman who answered the phone. That hour turned into 3, and I was physically shivering despite the heavy down coat I had brought as a back up. The AAA guy started my car within a few minutes and he said, "Just drive around for 30 minutes and you'll be fine."

My daughter was on the phone insisting that I allow her to book me a hotel room south of Fort Worth, but I told her, "Nope. I filled up with gas before I parked so I'm not gonna even stop the engine. This is gonna be a non-stop flight all the way to Sugar Land." I drove straight through, and as I turned on to our street the sun was just breaking over the horizon.

But it was absolutely worth it, because all the way home I keep screaming out loud, "Revenge - revenge - revenge!"

Go Frogs!

Great story.

Have shared our gameday experience here, but might as well tell it again. We got to our tailgate spot 5 hours before kickoff, per usual, and did a low country boil. We set up some tarps in the trees and put a few tents up to keep the rain off of us, which helped some for the pre-gaming. The wives and kids stayed at home for this one, so we got a little rowdier than usual. We had some Baylor fans around us in the stadium who were a little mouthy, so we let them hear it as well. My brother and I ended up moving down to the student section after my customer and his buddy left a little early, and we had a blast. Went back to our tailgate spot and the tarps and tents had collapsed from all of the rain, so we just fired up the propane burner on high, turned the music up and heckled the Baylor fans that we walking by. Our spot looked like a shantytown with the collapsed tarps, open flame, mud everywhere, etc...

Oh, and we played a version of this playing on repeat as the Baylor fans were filing out past us. There were probably 10 or 12 drunken adult males screaming "beat it, you (expletive) dorks!" as this was blaring in the background. Not our finest moment, but hilarious in hindsight:

Edit - the customer that was with me has moved back to Colorado, but he'll still text me every year during the Baylor game and say "beat it, dorks!." That was the theme of the evening apparently, and I guess it stuck with him.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

Pregame before weather got really bad was packed and electric. Shame weather ruined that but damn those of us that stayed were LOUD. Definitely towards the top with Art being exposed as the POS he is not long after.

Purp

I bought some snow pants for the game and might have worn them once since but they were worth every penny.
I bought my wife brand new purple ski gear and rain boots before the game. She hates being cold and she was quite comfortable. I wore a purple fleece over my golf rain gear and was also quite comfortable. Like someone else said, my only problem was the gloves. They got soaked through by half and I was better off without them after that.

That game was so much fun.

Someone else mentioned that chAir Force game as a colder one. I was in a wedding in Jacksonville, FL for that one, but it definitely looked miserable from the sports bar on TV.

PurpleBlood87

I was sick most of that week and went out that morning and bought the heaviest rain proof coat I could find.
Attended the tailgate and found out someone there had won an charity auction and the prize was the National Championship Trophy would be at your tailgate for the game.
Was already soaked from about my knees down before even heading into the stadium.
By the third quarter my gloves were soaked thru and I told NormalFrog I was going to go because I couldn't risk getting sicker.
Got to Mama's and watched the rest of the game there. Surprisingly there were a lot soaked Frog fans there when I arrived. Guess others couldn't take it.
That was the first time I left early in my years of TCU other than a couple of times I had to leave to get to a night shift at the paper.

Froglaw

I set up my big dove hunting Canopy with walls.

I had a propane heater going.

Great tailgate because we were dry and warm.

Gawd awful condone outside.