• The KillerFrogs

Fuente Likely Out

PO Frog

Riley’s offenses don’t hold up when the Sooners run into talent parity in the playoffs, or against Army.
Not entirely true. I’d say his defenses don’t hold up but 28 was his low CFP output and that was after getting shell shocked by the LSU juggernaut last year. Wouldn’t say anyone else has really shut them down as opposed to outscoring them and getting more stops than their Big 12 competition. Sure they are less successful than regular season, but they are playing one of the top four teams so it stands to reason.

Last edited:

Salfrog

Tier 1
I did not know that tale but if true, I approve. Dick Winder was as old-school as possible & if he gave the blessing to JF that’s enough for me. And no I never played a down. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn express once.
I did not know that tale but if true, I approve. Dick Winder was as old-school as possible & if he gave the blessing to JF that’s enough for me. And no I never played a down. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn express once.

Once.

This is true, and was verified at the time from a close family friend that retired from the athletic department just a few years ago. As I said, I would take Fuente in a heartbeat over what we have now.

Would I at least like for us to look at other OC's that may have newer ideas, for sure yes. Unfortunately, we already know GP doesn't like stepping out of his own way or comfort zone, so the likelihood of that happening is next to zero chance. So Fuente would be a big step up from what we have had going on for the last 4 out 5 years on offense. The offense would have an actual identity & structure, instead of the clusterfudge it has been for way too long now.

Last edited:

4th. down

Riley’s offenses don’t hold up when the Sooners run into talent parity in the playoffs, or against Army.

Riley has had a great run of transferred QB's come into his system that were all high grade except for Mayfield. Rattler seems to be an outlier as he was actually recruited out of HS and signed.

As stated, when OU enters the playoff against teams of equal or better talent, they stumble and fall, but against Big 12 competition, he's the class of the lot. GP has turned out to be just another one of his little [hundinnen ].

JockO de Frog

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2020...hokies-justin-fuente-football-it-must-end-now

Interesting read about Fuente. Mentions what some have mentioned on this thread. He did well with a loaded team but apparently is a terrible recruiter. Also mentions that the players did not connect with him and seems to have lost the locker room. Talks about why Kill left the program to TCU (because Fuente wanted to keep his inept friend as OC). Long but good read.

Last edited:

Froggish

Looking back over the past several years, Fuente's offenses have done fine with only 1 or 2 games below 20 points a year. It is when he loses 34-35 and such, that it hurts his overall record. He may be best suited for an OC role, but he did fine at Memphis, I would expect he would stay a HC just at a lower money school.

Again...He hasn’t called plays since 2015
https://www.gobblercountry.com/2020...hokies-justin-fuente-football-it-must-end-now

Interesting read about Fuente. Mentions what some have mentioned on this thread. He did well with a loaded team but apparently is a terrible recruiter. Also mentions that the players did not connect with him and seems to have lost the locker room. Talks about why Kill left the program to TCU (because Fuente wanted to keep his inept friend as OC). Long but good read.

He’s cut from the same jib as GP. Football nerd who not a very good face of the program. I’ve long said that GP has only gotten a way with it for as long as he has because he came in to his job already in the program and in a different era. Those hard nosed, socially unaware qualities won’t go well for a younger coach like Fuente. He’s kind of built to do well at the G5 or lower level where marketing, recruiting, and kissing babies isn’t as big a deal.

JockO de Frog

Again...He hasn’t called plays since 2015

He’s cut from the same jib as GP. Football nerd who not a very good face of the program. I’ve long said that GP has only gotten a way with it for as long as he has because he came in to his job already in the program and in a different era. Those hard nosed, socially unaware qualities won’t go well for a younger coach like Fuente. He’s kind of built to do well at the G5 or lower level where marketing, recruiting, and kissing babies isn’t as big a deal.
I get what you're saying about GP but don't fully agree. GP still has the respect of his players. Plus, unlike Fuente, if Kill says to get a new OC after this year I'm sure GP will do just that. Kill is the buffer GP needed to get rid of the coaches that aren't getting it done. I know a good CEO would do the dirty work himself but this may be the next best thing. And as far as GP being a good recruiter, he is great with the parents and pretty good otherwise as well.

Froggish

I get what you're saying about GP but don't fully agree. GP still has the respect of his players. Plus, unlike Fuente, if Kill says to get a new OC after this year I'm sure GP will do just that. Kill is the buffer GP needed to get rid of the coaches that aren't getting it done. I know a good CEO would do the dirty work himself but this may be the next best thing. And as far as GP being a good recruiter, he is great with the parents and pretty good otherwise as well.

I think is well liked by his players but I think some of that is because he built up a lifetime worth of credibility. A young coach in the profession wouldn’t get the kind of lead way he has.

I know we keep saying that Kill will make the hard decisions on behalf of GP but we don’t know if it’s true. I sure hope it is but I’m afraid these guys are going to get a COVID pass.

Froggish