• The KillerFrogs

Fuente Likely Out

wilson912

There is one notable distinction on this point. Like Cumbie/Meacham, Fuente inherited a talented offense when he took over as OC. However unlike Cumbie/Meacham, Fuente was able to maintain a successful offense after the offense he inherited graduated.

After 2010, we graduated our NFL QB and most of our OL and WR core. Yet under Fuente’s direction we were still able to field a good offense in 2011. Admittedly our 2011 schedule was very weak, but I do think it’s worth noting Fuente was able to find success without Dalton & Co in a way that Cumbie/Meacham have never been able to do without Boykin/Doctson.

good point, many don’t recall this but Fuente is a competent OC who Gary respects. For all the grief Sonny catches, why does Glasgow get a free pass?

4th. down

good point, many don’t recall this but Fuente is a competent OC who Gary respects. For all the grief Sonny catches, why does Glasgow get a free pass?

Because they are buds. I still believe Meach. is the OC/QB coach and Sonny is gone. Just keeping the expenses down and reshuffling the deck...........again. This type of GP management will go on until the end, leopards cannot change their spots and neither can GP. That previous talk about GP having to reinvent himself is his usual BS.

Moose Stuff

There is one notable distinction on this point. Like Cumbie/Meacham, Fuente inherited a talented offense when he took over as OC. However unlike Cumbie/Meacham, Fuente was able to maintain a successful offense after the offense he inherited graduated.

After 2010, we graduated our NFL QB and most of our OL and WR core. Yet under Fuente’s direction we were still able to field a good offense in 2011. Admittedly our 2011 schedule was very weak, but I do think it’s worth noting Fuente was able to find success without Dalton & Co in a way that Cumbie/Meacham have never been able to do without Boykin/Doctson.

Agreed. And given the absurd the amount of young talent we currently have on this roster I'd be ecstatic if someone inherited it and turned it into something.

Froggish

I think that’s a fair point and Fuente deserves credit for that, but I think there’s also a logical explanation as well. TCU and Boise had essentially built themselves into the Bama/Clemson of the G5. Neither team, with the exception of playing each other, ever went into a game without being significantly more physically gifted than their opponent. Scheme and execution becomes much more important when you are either overmatched or playing an opponent with just as much talent. That in a nutshell is the real reason all that pre B12 success hasn’t translated into consistent winning and why you’ll end up with more of the same if Fuente comes back.

IMO what GP has been trying to do since 2017 is recreate the offense he had with Fuente. Watch a TCU game and a VT game and you’ll be blown away by how Identical the two offenses look. Inside zone, QB run reads, and screens..

Fuente isn’t the change we need but it’s looming more and more like the change we are going to get

Moose Stuff

I think that’s a fair point and Fuente deserves credit for that, but I think there’s also a logical explanation as well. TCU and Boise had essentially built themselves into the Bama/Clemson of the G5. Neither team, with the exception of playing each other, ever went into a game without being significantly more physically gifted than their opponent. Scheme and execution becomes much more important when you are either overmatched or playing an opponent with just as much talent. That in a nutshell is the real reason all that pre B12 success hasn’t translated into consistent winning and why you’ll end up with more of the same if Fuente comes back.

IMO what GP has been trying to do since 2017 is recreate the offense he had with Fuente. Watch a TCU game and a VT game and you’ll be blown away by how Identical the two offenses look. Inside zone, QB run reads, and screens..

Fuente isn’t the change we need but it’s looming more and more like the change we are going to get

What if the alternative is no change?

Big Frog II

I think this makes sense. We need to look at someone with a Lincoln Riley type offense. Something new and different and hard to defend. Right now we are too predictable. Basically we need a new attitude on offense.

Froggish

What if the alternative is no change?

If the alternative is no change than bring on Fuente....Incidentally I am hearing Fuente will be fired on Dec 1st when his buyout drops from 12.5M to 8M. Supposedly behind the scenes VT already has the money secured but they are hoping to negotiate something cheaper with Fuente. I say this because everyone should know that there is a good chance that he sits around for a while or just wants to be an analyst while he counts his money and rebuilds his reputation. Maybe he comes to TCU to play a "Kill" like role but financially there isn't anything for him to accomplish by being TCU's OC. I'd say there's a better chance he's hired by Bama and starts his image rehab project.

Main two candidates to keep an eye on to replace him would be Shane Beamer (OU) son of VT legend Frank Beamer and Byron Leftwich who is currently the OC for the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Moose Stuff

If the alternative is no change than bring on Fuente....Incidentally I am hearing Fuente will be fired on Dec 1st when his buyout drops from 12.5M to 8M. Supposedly behind the scenes VT already has the money secured but they are hoping to negotiate something cheaper with Fuente. I say this because everyone should know that there is a good chance that he sits around for a while or just wants to be an analyst while he counts his money and rebuilds his reputation. Maybe he comes to TCU to play a "Kill" like role but financially there isn't anything for him to accomplish by being TCU's OC. I'd say there's a better chance he's hired by Bama and starts his image rehab project.

Main two candidates to keep an eye on to replace him would be Shane Beamer (OU) son of VT legend Frank Beamer and Byron Leftwich who is currently the OC for the Tampa Bay Bucs.

The analyst role at TCU worked out pretty well for Sonny Dykes. Just have to make sure we don't let Fuente go off to another school on our schedule when he leaves and starts stealing all our signs.

Last edited:

Froggish

The analyst role at TCU worked out pretty well for Sonny Dykes. Just have to make sure we don't let Fuente go off to another school on our schedule when he leaves and doesn't start stealing all our signs.

Supposedly he was the top choice for the Baylor job but the catch was that he would have to retain some of Rhule’s staff. He said no and they moved on...Can you imagine the Fuente @ Bay vs GP...

Salfrog

Tier 1
Fuente was hand picked by Winder to take his place when he retired because Fuente knew how to coach QB's like he did. Our backup QB's were always ready to play when they had to come in. Plus he also knew how to build an offense based on the talent he had. So yes, I would be on board with bringing Fuente back as OC & QB coach as long as he could hire his own offensive staff.

Last edited:

4th. down

Fuente was hand picked by Winder to take his place when he retired because Fuente knew how to coach QB's like he did. Our backup QB's were always ready to play when they had to come in. Plus he also knew how to build an offense based on the talent he had. So yes, I would be on board with bringing Fuente back as OC & QB coach as long as he could hired his own offensive staff.

Well, in Fuente's behalf, he studied Winder's methods. I think Winder had a good track record for us with Ty Gunn (always injured), Brandon Hassell, and Jeff Ballard........all good QB's for us. You could take any one of those 3 and we challenge for no. 2 in the Big 12. They say he was a rough and tough coach and would ride your ass......probably a lot different from what we have now.

Eight

Who has the Blues Brothers gif?

this one?

a2J.gif

or this one,

tumblr_lz3nrrQuWL1qady5mo1_r1_500.gif

or this,

lyGFe4V.gif

or maybe when Gary actually thinks about what is(are) the cause of the offensive issues,

giphy.gif

which will naturally lead us to the moment when he and Kill decide to truly make changes.

tenor.gif

Endless Purple

Looking back over the past several years, Fuente's offenses have done fine with only 1 or 2 games below 20 points a year. It is when he loses 34-35 and such, that it hurts his overall record. He may be best suited for an OC role, but he did fine at Memphis, I would expect he would stay a HC just at a lower money school.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Fuente was hand picked by Winder to take his place when he retired because Fuente knew how to coach QB's like he did. Our backup QB's were always ready to play when they had to come in. Plus he also knew how to build an offense based on the talent he had. So yes, I would be on board with bringing Fuente back as OC & QB coach as long as he could hired his own offensive staff.
I did not know that tale but if true, I approve. Dick Winder was as old-school as possible & if he gave the blessing to JF that’s enough for me. And no I never played a down. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn express once.

Once.