• The KillerFrogs

Fuente Likely Out

With the latest stinging loss for VT, there may not be a great HC job for Fuente. Maybe he comes back to his old job -- with total autonomy -- with the hope of being the "eadhay oachcay nway aitinway" til Gary hangs it up. He would have high incentive.

Would be a total Gary move to bring in a known quantity. But maybe not a bad move. Fuente helped develop Andy and helped lead us on our Fiesta and Rose runs. Then he was conference coach of the year at Memphis and VT. That's a good record.
Who we really miss: Bumpas. Bumpas carried 60% of the defensive weight for CGP. Since Bumpas retired, CGP is trying to carry 100% of the defensive weight while meddling with the offense. CGP trusted Bumpas with the defense. He does not with Glasgow (and for good reason). Shoot, neither did Tech. Tech defense wanted Glasgow gone prior to their first game. They quit on him and would often skip out on defensive mtgs. (Tech allowed 486 YPG, 117/120 in opp PTS/G...in other words, the worst defense in college football).

(And, again, there is no reason for us to have a de facto CEO and Co-COOs of the offense. That is ridiculous.)

So, CGP has a trust issue on defense and offense and we will continue to be stagnant, or regress, until that changes.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

Who we really miss: Bumpas. Bumpas carried 60% of the defensive weight for CGP. Since Bumpas retired, CGP is trying to carry 100% of the defensive weight while meddling with the offense. CGP trusted Bumpas with the defense. He does not with Glasgow (and for good reason). Shoot, neither did Tech. Tech defense wanted Glasgow gone prior to their first game. They quit on him and would often skip out on defensive mtgs. (Tech allowed 486 YPG, 117/120 in opp PTS/G...in other words, the worst defense in college football).

(And, again, there is no reason for us to have a de facto CEO and Co-COOs of the offense. That is ridiculous.)

So, CGP has a trust issue on defense and offense and we will continue to be stagnant, or regress, until that changes.
I too think the loss of Bumpas was huge. His shoes have never been filled.

Last edited:

westoverhillbilly

TCU was funding very large coaching salaries and football costs for 15 years when revenues were minimal during our time in the mid majors. The administration and trustees are crystal clear on the importance that football is to TCU.

Not to say that fb will be given carte blanche to spend anywhere it wants, but it won't be pinched or forced to be penny-wise and pound foolish. The trustees know and/or remember that cheapness was the over-riding reason for the 40 years in the desert that TCU endured and won't let it happen, at least not at this very time in our history.

wilson912

With the latest stinging loss for VT, there may not be a great HC job for Fuente. Maybe he comes back to his old job -- with total autonomy -- with the hope of being the "eadhay oachcay nway aitinway" til Gary hangs it up. He would have high incentive.

Would be a total Gary move to bring in a known quantity. But maybe not a bad move. Fuente helped develop Andy and helped lead us on our Fiesta and Rose runs. Then he was conference coach of the year at Memphis and VT. That's a good record.

he’s our best option if Gary isn’t retiring.

4th. down

TCU was funding very large coaching salaries and football costs for 15 years when revenues were minimal during our time in the mid majors. The administration and trustees are crystal clear on the importance that football is to TCU.

Not to say that fb will be given carte blanche to spend anywhere it wants, but it won't be pinched or forced to be penny-wise and pound foolish. The trustees know and/or remember that cheapness was the over-riding reason for the 40 years in the desert that TCU endured and won't let it happen, at least not at this very time in our history.

I guess we are going to find out before too long. However, a lot of those Board of Trustees were still in diapers and probably 90% don't know [ Finebaum ] about football, but they do understand and relate to revenue. Would be surprised if TCU got a 50% renewal rate on season tickets for 2021 and if Covid is still with us, we struggle to get to 10K a game and if you don't count students, around 6-7K/game.

westoverhillbilly

I guess we are going to find out before too long. However, a lot of those Board of Trustees were still in diapers and probably 90% don't know [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] about football, but they do understand and relate to revenue. .

The younger of our trustees may not have been alive or remember the early 60's-mid 90's but they painstakingly and unmistakenly understand the extreme importance of football to TCU, even though many don't know and/or understand the game as much as those of us who follow it closely would like them to.

Fortunately for TCU, ticket sales/gate revenues are a relatively small percentage of overall football revenues. Even if we play without any fans in the stands, we'd still be bringing in far more money than we did until just a few years ago.

TCU football is currently hurting and is in need of some big fixes, but meeting operating costs and funding the salaries of any of our assistant coaches isn't an obstacle for the next few years.

4th. down

The younger of our trustees may not have been alive or remember the early 60's-mid 90's but they painstakingly and unmistakenly understand the extreme importance of football to TCU, even though many don't know and/or understand the game as much as those of us who follow it closely would like them to.

Fortunately for TCU, ticket sales/gate revenues are a relatively small percentage of overall football revenues. Even if we play without any fans in the stands, we'd still be bringing in far more money than we did until just a few years ago.

TCU football is currently hurting and is in need of some big fixes, but meeting operating costs and funding the salaries of any of our assistant coaches isn't an obstacle for the next few years.

Seems like Boschini made a statement a month or so ago about the football staff and the university in general took pay cuts and a hiring freeze. I'm not privy to football gate receipts since we entered conf. but they had to amount to something?????

Seems like Boschini made a statement a month or so ago about the football staff and the university in general took pay cuts and a hiring freeze. I'm not privy to football gate receipts since we entered conf. but they had to amount to something?????
Yes. Athletics is experiencing some pain. Nothing like the University of Utah or the Go5s but certainly more than a bee sting.

Tumbleweed

Gary is not retiring!!!! What the heck is GP going to do if he's not working? I'll say it again,. Gary will have to be excused from coaching. I'd hate to be Kelsey if he didn't coach.....

ticketfrog123

Looks like nobody has watched a VT game this year, nothing about that team screams “hire” on any of their coaches.

We can hire one really good OC for the same price as DM and SC.

The best outcome is a splashy OC hire that can be HC material in a few years.

not happening but would be great if GP stuck around as DC to help the transition

Froggish

HE IS NOT THE ANSWER

We often talk about 2014/15 Boykin, Doctson, and a veteran OL making DMeacham and Cumbie look better than they really are. Well the same argument could be said about Fuente in 2009 and 2010. He inherited a Jr future NFL QB with 20+ starts and what was arguably the most talented G5 football team in CFB history.

My point is that this fanbase is falling into its bad habits of making legends out of solid coaches who were in the right place in the right time. Fuente did a good job here but the truth is only 1 time since leaving TCU did he ever have an offense finish in the top 50 in total offense. Several times he’s actually fielded a worst offense than TCUs over the years..HE IS NOT THE ANSWER

Tumbleweed

If Fuente is considered, that would concern me. Fuente would not come back, it would be step side-ways unless he was promised in writing the head coaching job. I can't see TCU making a deal like that! The changes coming (if any) will be similar to last year. I believe GP's personality would not allow him to be overshadowed by a highly sought after assistant(s), esp on offense. So what is it I'm saying, you hv three guesses and the first three don't count.

Planks

HE IS NOT THE ANSWER

We often talk about 2014/15 Boykin, Doctson, and a veteran OL making DMeacham and Cumbie look better than they really are. Well the same argument could be said about Fuente in 2009 and 2010. He inherited a Jr future NFL QB with 20+ starts and what was arguably the most talented G5 football team in CFB history.

There is one notable distinction on this point. Like Cumbie/Meacham, Fuente inherited a talented offense when he took over as OC. However unlike Cumbie/Meacham, Fuente was able to maintain a successful offense after the offense he inherited graduated.

After 2010, we graduated our NFL QB and most of our OL and WR core. Yet under Fuente’s direction we were still able to field a good offense in 2011. Admittedly our 2011 schedule was very weak, but I do think it’s worth noting Fuente was able to find success without Dalton & Co in a way that Cumbie/Meacham have never been able to do without Boykin/Doctson.