• The KillerFrogs

Ian Boyd analysis of our “offense”

PO Frog

Would be interesting to know how many of Duggan's passes are thrown less than 3 yards downfield. It's a staple of the offense but they just hardly ever seem to work. I'm sure I'm missing some plays, but I can't really remember a screen or quick out to a WR (or whatever fancy name you want to give that play) getting more than a few yards. A HIGH percentage of them get blown up near the LOS, they don't fool anyone anymore.
Parker tweeted the exact numbers the other day. Roughly a third of his passes are not beyond the line of scrimmage sometimes more, sometimes less.

Paint It Purple

what did he say that hasn't been covered on this board?
I don’t think he’s ever coached or for that matter played a down of football, but his breakdown of TCU the offense was exceedingly better stated and objective than the rantings I’ve seen here. Nevertheless, I shouldn’t have appeared to attack you or the board...it was just interesting to read an analysis that wasn’t so jaded.

Last edited:

4th. down

Maybe so, but I too would like to know what we were thinking on the Pro Wells screen. Bunch formation, spring him out for a pass, he catches it and immediately cuts back to the middle of the field. Seriously, what was the idea there other than just to throw him a pass you know he'll catch just to keep him involved and "happy".

When I saw this play unfolding, I thought, what in the hell is this? A screen pass to a TE with a wide receiver blocking......just the opposite of what you would want on a sideline screen pass. THIS.........is our PRIMARY problem.........confusion of how the offense should be run. Well, who called the play.......Meacham. He is not the answer, nor is Kill or Sonny.....the proof is in the pudding and it ain't looking good.

Probably 3-4 more years of this scenario before a new regime takes over.......we are going to suffer but it's going to take that long before a real change goes into effect.

tcudoc

I agree that we sub in too many players . No running back can get going or in rhythm.
The running back pentavirate has less rhythm than Navin R. Johnson.
tumblr_pps9viGE7f1rodk9a_400.gif

Eight

I don’t think he’s ever coached or for that matter played a down of football, but his breakdown of TCU the offense was exceedingly better stated and objective than the rantings I’ve seen here. Nevertheless, I shouldn’t have appeared to attack you or the board...it was just interesting to read an analysis that wasn’t so jaded.

no offense taken by me in your comments though you are right in applying those thoughts to countryfrog. he is basically the steel of breakfast foods.

ian did and does provide a great deal of detail..

simply the core of what he wrote:
  • lack of a cohesive scheme
  • grab bag play calling
  • too many people involved in the process
  • offensive line problems
  • a receiver and running back rotation that is confusing at best and breaks any flow
  • a failure to target and maximize the abilities of certain players
all get covered in the game threads by a number of posters as well as during the week, but i do agree the specific examples and video were helpful

do think the most recent podcast from jeremy and billy might be of interest to you as well on this matter (the frogs' offense and not ian's work}

Eight

Our offense makes me feel like a fat kid trapped in a ginger bread house. There does not seem to be a good way out.

unless you are the fat kid and have to eat your way out

Soft-Ball-Candy.png

fly sweep, run max, run max, wide receiver screen, tight end screen, fly sweep, running a back so they won't transfer, run max, run max, run max, run max.................................

4th. down

no offense taken by me in your comments though you are right in applying those thoughts to countryfrog. he is basically the steel of breakfast foods.

ian did and does provide a great deal of detail..

simply the core of what he wrote:
  • lack of a cohesive scheme
  • grab bag play calling
  • too many people involved in the process
  • offensive line problems
  • a receiver and running back rotation that is confusing at best and breaks any flow
  • a failure to target and maximize the abilities of certain players
all get covered in the game threads by a number of posters as well as during the week, but i do agree the specific examples and video were helpful

do think the most recent podcast from jeremy and billy might be of interest to you as well on this matter (the frogs' offense and not ian's work}

Personally, I do not think his coverage was unfair, just to the point with maybe a little broad brush. Kill has turned out to be a joke as he came in here and by his own words, "i'm a fixer."

A question that has perplexed me for many seasons, how can GP, being an elite DC as he is, focused on dissecting offensive formations and tendencies, not know a damn thing about offense? How is this possible?

Eight

Personally, I do not think his coverage was unfair, just to the point with maybe a little broad brush. Kill has turned out to be a joke as he came in here and by his own words, "i'm a fixer."

A question that has perplexed me for many seasons, how can GP, being an elite DC as he is, focused on dissecting offensive formations and tendencies, not know a damn thing about offense? How is this possible?

don't think what ian wrote was unfair, think it was on point in some areas,

my point was that there was nothing new compared to what has been discussed on the board other than his use of film clip and some specific plays.

i have posed a similar question on gary and his ability to break down an opposing offense on tape and the continued problems of the frogs offense.

don't think it is apathy, but it could be something worse that i have seen with some small businesses we have worked with out the years. they were blind to the issues of family and staff that had been with them building the business and the unwillingness to change road the thing right into the ground

4th. down

I didn’t read it so have no opinion on whether it was fair or unfair and frankly I don’t care either way. I don’t need an “analysis” of the Frog offense. My eyes are fully capable of seeing and the outputs and outcomes are sufficient “analysis” for me.

Well said.

My question is that is it too much to expect our offense to avg. 34 pts./game in conf? With our skill set, that doesn't seem to be an unreasonable expectation. 1 TD per quarter and 2 field goals wouid seem obtainable with a reasonable offensive scheme. If that were the case, we would have picked up 10 more conf. wins over the past 2 seasons and we would not be complaining...well, maybe a little.

Last edited:

Putt4Purple

I've noticed a problematic trend. Very easy to see from a simple fans point of view. Almost every time we have a successful play to either get a first down or multiple yards downfield whichever player ran that play gets a second straight play called for him even though he may be gassed and tired after a long run. Example Barlow had a long sixty plus yard run against T Tech and the very next play the offensive geniuses gave him the ball again, this time for a loss because he had not recovered from the long run. If I can see this trend/habit don't you think opposing coaches see it? This is an example of our offensive ineptitude.
Go Frogs!