• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Patterson West Virginia post-game presser

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Patterson West Virginia post-game presser

By JEREMY CLARK

TCU’s two game winning streak came to an abrupt end on Saturday as the Frogs loss to West Virginia; 24-6. It was the third consecutive loss for the Frogs against the Mountaineers and the third straight loss in Morgantown. The Frogs have been outscored 112-26 in their last three games at West Virginia.

The Frogs’ offense couldn’t get much going on the day as they were held to 295 total yards; 92 of those yards came on the final two drives of the game. The defense gave up 392 yards including 156 yards to Mountaineer running back Leddie Brown on the ground.

Following the game TCU head coach Gary Patterson met with the media to discuss the lost. The full transcribed version is below.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...son-postgame-presser-West-Virginia-154754184/

denverfrog

That was painful to read. UM is right. We were out coached in every way yesterday.
I heard the comments, it was a little bizarre, kept saying how much talent there was in DFW and “on paper” we were better? Failing to mention that the O line is new and decimated with injuries. I have always heard that it’s harder to develop pass blocking than run blocking, that seems apparent with us. Max is running for his life, give him time and the overthrows go away.

Wexahu

think he knows why, but doesn't want to endure what actually is needed to change the direction of the program

we are in a bobby bowden situation without the cache, resources, and name recognition of the florida state brand

I think this is pretty accurate. A guy at the twilight of his career, and he just doesn’t have the energy or the desire to change much at this point. There is zero doubt this program has lost the edge it used to compete with. Seems like average has become acceptable to the guy in charge.

Eight

I heard the comments, it was a little bizarre, kept saying how much talent there was in DFW and “on paper” we were better? Failing to mention that the O line is new and decimated with injuries. I have always heard that it’s harder to develop pass blocking than run blocking, that seems apparent with us. Max is running for his life, give him time and the overthrows go away.

there is a tremendous amount of talent in the metroplex area and north texas so i am not sure how that would be a bizzare comment.

2018 frogs signed 5 kids from the metroplex -north texas vicinity (11 from outside the state of texas)
2019 frogs signed 3 kids from the metroplex - north texas vicinity (11 from outside the state of texas)
2020 frogs signed 1 kid from the metroplex - north texas vicinity ( 9 from outside the state of texas)
2021 frogs have 1 commit from the metroplex - north texas vicinity (4 from outside the state of texas)

in regards to the offensive line issues, they have had turnover so why continue to force an offensive scheme that requires the line to do something that is a weakness for them?

why continue to have ofensive series when you do nothing but throw the ball? why do you keep asking the only quarterback you apparently have who can throw the ball with any degree of effectiveness to carry the majority of the carries in your run game?

why do you not call redetermined run plays trying to use the strength of your offense?

urban told the truth and i didn't even touch on issues on the defensive side of the ball

Salfrog

Tier 1
We are underperforming for the talent we have and its clear Patterson doesn't know why.

Patterson has known for a long time what is wrong but is too damn stubborn to do the right thing. He is more worried about taking care of his buddies than he is taking care of this team. Why else would he bring another good ol' buddy Kill on staff. To me, the signing of Kill was Gary giving the finger to everyone complaining about him keeping is friends on staff instead of letting them go.

2themax

Maybe I'm missing something and if I am there will be someone on here who would be more than willing to quickly correct me.
But.....
Did the Frogs not play with 3 missing starters on the off line?
Both starting cb's out?
Both wr's are 1st yr starters?
Playing with a second yr starter and a freshman at de?
Missing their top dt?
Very young rb group?
And a 2nd yr starter at qb who spent fall camp ill and is now possibly injured?
At this point looking for potential, development, and effort would make the remainder of this season more bearable.
I'm personally not ready to toss the staff.

tetonfrog

It does not matter how highly-recruited your skill players are if you are weak in the lines. Yes, our coaching staff is underperforming, but it is difficult to win games when you cannot rush the QB or protect yours.

TCU has the UT disease now: we have these flashy “super talented” skill players but get dominated in the line of scrimmage almost every game. That is why there is no consistency on our team.

Klaw

Maybe I'm missing something and if I am there will be someone on here who would be more than willing to quickly correct me.
But.....
Both starting cb's out?
Missing their top dt?
Very young rb group?
At this point looking for potential, development, and effort would make the remainder of this season more bearable.

you missed the key point that this is the THIRD straight season of below average football for a head coach who is paid to be elite almost every year...do you keep your job if you have 3 straight subpar years?...99% of the world does not keep it with this performance

Eight

But.....
Both starting cb's out?
Missing their top dt?
Very young rb group?

storment, lanz, avila, and coker had started the last 4 games for the frogs in the offensive line and one would think at this point and time the staff would know what that group is capable of executing and where they struggle.

the frogs are starting a true freshman and red-shirt freshman receiver as well as a junior in barber who has played a great deal and an experienced junior in wells

the age of the running back group doesn't really matter as barlow, evans, and miller have shown the ability to produce when given the opportunity

max as far as we know is the only quarterback who has been effective in this offensive scheme and yet the offensive staff continually has exposed him in the run game and not asked the backs to carry the load

my issue with the offensive staff (sonny and doug) is we have no real offensive identity, the entire thing seems to be centered around max instead of the quarterback position because we have only seen a walk on transfer play aside from max and he struggled to find consistency

so what does the offensive staff do? they force the passing game despite the fact max is hurt according to some, the offensive line is struggling in pass protection, and the youth at receiver.

the frogs have had success in the downhill run game, but do we see and expansion of that as they have talent at running back and the line has shown some effectiveness in the run game

so going away from your areas of success and forcing areas that you really aren't equipped to execute has nothing to do with the covid, injuires, or experience but falls on an offensive staff (sonny and doug)

defensively, mathis is in his third year in the program and only programs somehow find ways for players to be consistently productive in that time frame. coleman is young and if the problem of getting caught inside allowing the runner to bounce outside only happened with him and only this year that would be a different matter, but break downs in run fits have been a problem for the past 3 years

same with coverages on the wheel route and crossing routes. if an inexperienced corner gets beat deep that is one thing, but when we continually see break downs in coverages on certain types of routes again and again and again that isn't a matter of issues just for this game

the defensive issues aren't going to change until gary retires because i don't see him changing his defensive staff, but supposedly he gives the offensive staff freedom to do what they believe is best and there is just no way he can look at the offense each week and believe this offense will do what is needed for the frogs to do more than tread water

Mean Purple

Well, they are not going to develop jack with the O line coach they have.

Mean Purple

Some think he either does not know how to fix it, or too stubborn to fire his pals.

There is a third option, he has now come to the realization that keeping bad assistants was the biggest mistake of his career and he is just trying to keep it pieced together and hopefully have job after this season. Does that mean he fires some folks? Would have to. Because folks would be crazy to think the AD is not catching holy hell right now.

2themax

It's the same problem TCU has always had.
Not enough talent and depth in the big guys.
When they start getting 3-4 consecutive years of consistent recruiting of the bigs with quality depth, then you have a head coaching problem.
TCU needs a head hunting recruiter landing big alphas.
Have you guys forgotten the de's and olinemen that manned the fronts when things were good?
Several of them are still making a living in the League.
They've been getting shoved around the last 2 seasons.