• The KillerFrogs

What would you do if you were AD?

What would you do if you were AD?

• Fire Gary. Initiate nationwide coaching search.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Force Gary to clean house and bring in new coaches and ideas on both sides of the ball.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Force Gary to hire a new OC that has full discretion as to who is on his staff.

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Give Gary another year to right the ship on his own.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Limey Frog

I think GP could still fix the defense himself, and he needs to. But he and everyone else is clearly clueless on offense. Anderson needed to be fired at the end of 2013. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

Moose Stuff

Let’s see. Your head coach names an OC, but he answers to head coaches’ best friend who was given a job because he has health issues and needs a job. OC cannot call plays because a coach who quit three years ago was rehired to be a secret co-OC and he calls the plays because head coach thinks he’s better at it, but still is under the watchful eye of head coaches’ best friend who was deemed an offensive guru but’s not. Meanwhile, head coach could give a ratsass about the offense because the guru is overseeing that.

This is the precise definition of a Cluster F.

Edit... Just saw another thread that’s more appropriate for my rant but oh well.

Worth noting that Kill left a good job to take this one. He didn't NEED a job.

PO Frog

Let's see what happens at the end of the season. Even though it hasn't happened in his 20 years as HC, Gary may take some action in December by getting rid of Cumbie and/or any/all of his offensive staff.

We owe Gary a tremendous amount of latitude. I say that if he doesn't take any action at the end of the season, then give him a year to achieve noticeable improvement. It is his job to keep us out of these funks that we're in on offense and we're three years into less than mediocre performance.

Our defenses have had some slumps over the years but have been very good overall with Gary calling them. This is how he coaches.

Who knows, he may retire in December for all we know.
We don’t “owe” him latitude, but even if we did, that latitude has been used up in full over the last three seasons.

ShreveFrog

Talk to Coach P after the season. If he wants to continue at TCU, determine why adding Kill and Meach to the mix with Cumbie plus Anderson at o-line was not the answer. Urge him to fix all that immediately. If Coach P digs in and goes with status quo, it must be made clear that if we don’t at least finish in the upper half of the conference next year, and are on a path to soon challenge for a conference championship, it’ll be time to part ways.

I’m not sure Donati or anyone can force Coach P to do anything. It’s Gary’s choice how this goes. Leash is getting short.

Boomhauer

Talk to Coach P after the season. If he wants to continue at TCU, determine why adding Kill and Meach to the mix with Cumbie plus Anderson at o-line was not the answer. Urge him to fix all that immediately. If Coach P digs in and goes with status quo, it must be made clear that if we don’t at least finish in the upper half of the conference next year, and are on a path to soon challenge for a conference championship, it’ll be time to part ways.

I’m not sure Donati or anyone can force Coach P to do anything. It’s Gary’s choice how this goes. Leash is getting short.

This. Would recommend he make changes but wouldn’t force him too. Just let him know we expect to be in the top half of the conference next year and if not we need to part ways.

Moose Stuff

I mean it's real easy for someone to force him, assuming the people that have the power to do it actually WANT to......

Hey Gary, yeah listen man, we're tired of paying you 6 million plus a year to run that [ Finebaum ]show of an offense out there each week so here's what we're gonna do.... we're gonna get rid of Anderson, Meach, and Sonny and bring in someone that has the autonomy to do whatever he wants with the offense OR you can retire. Let me know. Thanks.

Moose Stuff

This. Would recommend he make changes but wouldn’t force him too. Just let him know we expect to be in the top half of the conference next year and if not we need to part ways.

We could easily run the same disaster of an offense out there next year and find a way to go 7-5 and finish 4th/5th. That isn't gonna be even remotely good enough for me.

Boomhauer

So then why would we give him one more year of the status quo when we're just expecting to suck again? This HAS to get fixed NOW.

I wouldn’t want CGP to have any reason to blame me for another bad year. “you made me hire these new guys, these are not my guys”. Can just make the clean break at that point.

ShreveFrog

Don’t think 7-5 puts us in top half of conference. If we sweep our non-con games all at home — Cal, SMU, FCS — I think you need at least 5 more wins in conference, maybe 6, to finish in top half.

LeagueCityFrog

I would point out that STUPID money has been put into TCU Football the last 15 years to ensure that we don't go back to TCU football from the mid 1960s to mid 1990s. Fort Worth is an awesome city to work in as a coach and a great place to go to college as a student. Campus looks great and a TCU degree is worth gold in Texas and beyond. 13-17 in the last 30 games is ridiculous compared to the investment us alums have made and additionally considering we've had the #3 recruiting class the last 4 cycles in the Big XII and the Big XII is DOWN this year.

Everyone on this forum wants to see Gary walk out a champion. Let's make it happen TCU Athletics. Either a hard talk on some of these legacy coaches and S&C coaches or a more uncomfortable talk. Return on investment ain't looking too hot now and 2024 is coming.

TCU_91

We could easily run the same disaster of an offense out there next year and find a way to go 7-5 and finish 4th/5th. That isn't gonna be even remotely good enough for me.

I hate agreeing with you (feel like I need a shower) but this is what we said last year at this time.

How long before Gary has destroyed the very program he pushed to the top.

Unfortunately I believe now we are well on our way back to the late 80s since Gary doesn't know when to enjoy retirement.

Point in fact. Evans AGAIN ran a go route and came back to run the ball up the middle on the next play.

Them GP says the coaches did a good job.

This is not the same Patterson that got us very close to the top of the mountain.