• The KillerFrogs

New Horizons...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
At the risk of sounding cold and cavalier which I hope I am not, I am curious, we all know GP is set for life and he can retire anytime he wants and be just fine. But for all of his longtime assistants, are they set for life? In other words if GP retired after the season and a new coach is brought in who cleans house—would all of GPs old assistants be able to retire as well or would they have to go coach 2A high school somewhere?

LisaLT

The Ego of Urban. Yep, that's a continent sized item right there. I think an element of personal challenge would be a part of going to a "small" school and winning. "Sure you can do it at Florida, or tOSU, but could you do it at Little Bitty U.?"

Absolutely true. He has nothing left to prove. If he kept his whistle hung up in the laundry room he would always be considered among the elite coaches ever to call a game. But, he's still a young guy. He's younger than I am. He's got plenty of life left in him, and you can only play so many rounds of golf a week. At some point the bug will begin to gnaw at his innards...

Like I said earlier: Chances of him coming to TCU- 0.0 He wouldn't find the charm of Fort Worth to be anywhere near enough to stoke his ego.
I agree 100%. No way he would be interested in this HC job. I think he would consider that a step back in his career, no matter what his comments about being a top 10 coaching job. The bottom line is there will always be an underperforming blue blood program waiting for a guy like Urban to come take the reins.

PO Frog

At the risk of sounding cold and cavalier which I hope I am not, I am curious, we all know GP is set for life and he can retire anytime he wants and be just fine. But for all of his longtime assistants, are they set for life? In other words if GP retired after the season and a new coach is brought in who cleans house—would all of GPs old assistants be able to retire as well or would they have to go coach 2A high school somewhere?
I would assume his longtime guys have averaged at least a half mill a year for the last 20 years, so I suspect they’re fine. Fitch and Kelly and Gonzo can get jobs anywhere so they’ll be fine.

CountryFrog

I agree 100%. No way he would be interested in this HC job. I think he would consider that a step back in his career, no matter what his comments about being a top 10 coaching job. The bottom line is there will always be an underperforming blue blood program waiting for a guy like Urban to come take the reins.
I don't think he'd look at it as a step back in his career at all. I don't think you say the things that he's said about TCU unsolicited if you don't truly have very high regard for the place. I just don't think it's the perfect fit for what he would want and he's one of the very few people on the planet who has the luxury of being able to simply wait around for that perfect fit to come along.

For me it's like pumpkin pie or apple pie. I'll gladly take either one but if I've got the ability to get anything I want then I'll wait for the apple pie. No slight to the pumpkin pie because I love it too, it's just not the perfect choice for me the way apple is.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The next time that I'M putting one together? Ha! That's a funny joke.
If I can do it, you can do it. This is my go-to recipe: https://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/best-ever-apple-pie

I don't go for the 4 1/2 pounds of apples, that's nuts. I do, however, use the crust recipe contained therein, which is excellent! My other trick is to give the apples and spices a little cooking in a pan beforehand, so they're malleable and you don't wind up with a pie that has a lot of empty headspace. I make the crust first and stick it in the fridge. Then the apples get prepped, sliced, spiced and cooked. Then they get stashed in the fridge, too. Next day, the two get put together and baked.

The Applejack goes into the apple mixture. Basically, it's fermented and distilled applejuice. Not to my taste all by it's lonesome, but damned good for this particular application. Just a couple of tablespoons will do. (Well, and some for the cook...)