• The KillerFrogs

New Horizons...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
(Cue the Moody Blues...)

I rambled on just a bit in the GameDay thread, as there was little else to comment on...

Methinks we could afford such a luxury, should the Right People decide to pursue such a prize. TCU has the ability to finance such a Coach off-the-books in ways that the State outfits can't.

But there's several variables in play: 1.) Urban is a swine. Not Warden Art-level, of course, but a morally dubious fellow at best. Caveat emptor. 2.) He is not wrong in his observations vis-a-vis TCU. He knows that his name and cachet would get the attention of the very best talent in the Nation, and that he would have his pick of young and innovative Assistants. Starting out with a clean slate, in a promising place with excellent facilities, in a City that can give you everything you could want (including a nice airport to park your personal G5), with a terrifically forgiving fanbase, in the 3rd biggest TV Market, with every possibility of a MNC within a few years, what's not to like from his point of view? 3.) GMFP's intransigence on his Assistants will be his undoing. He has kept blatantly unqualified morons around for far too long. We are, as stated, terrifically forgiving. That forgiveness, however, has an expiration date. And the milk is starting to have an odor... 4.) Why in Hell would Urban Meyer drop his cushy TV gig and pick up the whistle again? Because he's a Coach. You go into Coaching because you love it. You never quit. Don't think he isn't looking for the Right Gig...

All that being said, chances of such a thing happening: 0.0

I think it is a foregone conclusion that GMFP has found his little town in Belgium, and we're watching the final days of one of the finest Coaches TCU has ever had. "All Things Must Pass" said the Prophet (George Harrison..?), and GMFP's stubbornness and stolid loyalty are proving to be his downfall. He is being done in by his virtues. Such are the sad times in which we live.

I will add to my above musings that I wouldn't be shocked if Urban and GMFP were at least acquainted, and that Urban might have a liking for him as professionals have regard for those who excel in their particular fields.

So, what say you? Any chance the fabled Urban Meyer picks up the Purple Whistle?

BrewingFrog

I don't doubt that there is some tentative phone work going on right now.

Donati was Del Conte's Agent before he was the Assistant A.D. He knows how the game is played. He also keeps his cards very, very close to the vest. He wouldn't move without having the necessary support behind him, and I don't doubt it would be there if such a prize were obtainable.

I can almost guarantee that we wouldn't know anything until it was a done deal.

Froggish

Urban has nothing to prove. This program is a sinking ship and won’t have any appeal to anyone who has blueblood skins on the wall. This is going to be an up in comers dream job and I suspect they’ll be a lot of interest from those type coaches.

netty2424

Never in a million years would UM come here.

Or maybe, just maybe, the big state schools just put too much pressure on him, which he didn’t like, so he left.

Maybe at this stage in his career he would consider a smaller private school that obviously doesn’t pressure coaches. Maybe that’s just what he needs.

That said, he’s a snake and I’m good without him.

Never in a million years would UM come here.

Or maybe, just maybe, the big state schools just put too much pressure on him, which he didn’t like, so he left.

Maybe at this stage in his career he would consider a smaller private school that obviously doesn’t pressure coaches. Maybe that’s just what he needs.

That said, he’s a snake and I’m good without him.
That being said and all, admit it, you'd be pretty pumped if he were suddenly our new head coach. (Not that I think he's coming here).

bp4tcu

Urban Meyer? LOLOLOLOL surely you’re not serious. UT and Michigan will put the full court press on him.

He ripped us during half time, no way he’d stoop to this pile of crap.

Pharm Frog

Urban has nothing to prove. This program is a sinking ship and won’t have any appeal to anyone who has blueblood skins on the wall. This is going to be an up in comers dream job and I suspect they’ll be a lot of interest from those type coaches.

You and I see this situation similarly. If we had laid the predicate for transition when we should have, it might have been different but the slippage is such that the enticement value for proven experience at P5 is now significantly down.

CountryFrog

You and I see this situation similarly. If we had laid the predicate for transition when we should have, it might have been different but the slippage is such that the enticement value for proven experience at P5 is now significantly down.
I understand the logic in this line of thinking but I don't think there are many coaches who approach things from that perspective. I think that coaches find a program that checks whatever boxes they have personally and for their family and as long as they see the possibility of the program being able to succeed at a high level will just assume that them walking through the door will be the thing that will make winning happen.

I don't think there's any coach who would look at TCU in Fort Worth as a place where you just cannot win especially since so much winning happened here not too long ago. So for anyone who doesn't require a huge fanbase to feed their ego then TCU will be an attractive option.

And no I'm not making an argument for Urban Meyer just an argument for how many coaches in general would view the job. I absolutely believe that Meyer needs a huge fanbase and national media attention to satisfy his ego.

McGregor's Goat

No, I don't think there's any chance Urban would go to TCU. I mean, maybe one in a billion ("so you're saying there's a chance").

I don't follow the gossip mill very closely. I don't know if anyone has real reason to believe that GP is retiring this year, or if it's just a groupthink assumption (like the belief that *surely* Cumbie would be gone after 2019).

Personally, I think it's time for GP to retire because it's 100% clear that he will never make the changes that he needs to make to turn things around, and it's a waste of time hoping that he will. I have a few thoughts on who I would like to see TCU pursue, but since I have no inside info or influence I'll try not to go down that rabbit hole.

BrewingFrog

The Ego of Urban. Yep, that's a continent sized item right there. I think an element of personal challenge would be a part of going to a "small" school and winning. "Sure you can do it at Florida, or tOSU, but could you do it at Little Bitty U.?"

Absolutely true. He has nothing left to prove. If he kept his whistle hung up in the laundry room he would always be considered among the elite coaches ever to call a game. But, he's still a young guy. He's younger than I am. He's got plenty of life left in him, and you can only play so many rounds of golf a week. At some point the bug will begin to gnaw at his innards...

Like I said earlier: Chances of him coming to TCU- 0.0 He wouldn't find the charm of Fort Worth to be anywhere near enough to stoke his ego.