• The KillerFrogs

Please Gary ... Never Again

asleep003

onsides kicks are about a 10% chance of working. 2 yard gains are probably about 65% of working. You're wrong.
Not 65% at all, when they know you're running it for sure and who is going to run it... like today. But you take the FG so that it makes no difference whether the on sides kick works or not... So there is no wrong here.... but there is insuring that you can't get beat by a TD and a FG with 4 1/2 minutes left... you don't leave that opening, as in college football it happens all the time !!!

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Fg unit was shaky today, especially at that end. You have to take all that into account. Tech coach will learn also from his stupid FG attempt.

Not saying you are wrong but I didn’t have a problem with it. 2 yards seals the game, no guarantee he makes the kick and even if he does you could still lose. It makes the other team go another 30 yards to score, that’s it. That could literally be one play. Go ahead and try to put the game away by getting 2+ yards. That’s probably the percentage play.

I don’t totally hate the call to go for it, but you don’t just have to take into account if the field goal unit was shaky, you have to take into account that our offense is pretty much dogship, and getting 2 yards when the other team knows you only need 2 yards is probably a coin flip at best.

If we had a competent offense, yeah sure go for it definitely. I would have kicked a field goal though.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Run on a 4th and 2 ... while in easy field goal range, forcing TT to have to go for 2 TDs to win ... instead of needing only a FG/TD to beat us with 4:30 left. What a crappy decision Coach !!! Never ever thought I would ever scold you... ever. Be glad the missed FG late and a couple of plays late, saved your ass on that lousy decision.
The way our previous attempt went in that direction ...

Yeah I didn't really bat an eye with the decision.

FWIW, the win probability hardly changed at all with that play:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401236021

Our win probability hardly changed at all- from 98% win prob to 96%. A FG probably doesn't change the probabilities from 98% since they'd still could have a miracle two scores. A FD basically makes it 100%.

The decision I'm scratching my head is the decision to go for two by Tech. Still can't understand the logic on that. You still need scores no matter what.

JockO de Frog

Chip shot like the previous attempt?
Kell is a very good field goal kicker. Misses happen. Nevertheless have you seen us stop kicking field goals? The timing to not kick the field goal was foolish. It would have put us completely out of reach from a touchdown and a field goal. I am one that loves to go for it often. But no way in that territory with the score that it was with a good field goal kicker was that a good decision.

Kell is a very good field goal kicker. Misses happen. Nevertheless have you seen us stop kicking field goals? The timing to not kick the field goal was foolish. It would have put us completely out of reach from a touchdown and a field goal. I am one that loves to go for it often. But no way in that territory with the score that it was with a good field goal kicker was that a good decision.
Griffin Kell is a good kid from a nice family but tbh he is extremely average or very slightly above. I will say the 38 yarder he hit yesterday showed more accuracy and authority than he showed from all distances in the last four games. His stats place him squarely in the lower middle of college kickers

Having said that. I think he would have hit from where they were but I still like the call

Last edited:

2themax

Another real game situation to grow up your oline. Confidence builder.
Seems as though he gut checked his cb's too.
Cost the team points but I liked it.

Bizarro Frog

I have not compiled any stats to back this observation up but it appears Kell kicks better off turf than grass. He seems to be more accurate on the road than at home on both the makes and misses.

CountryFrog

Didn't hate going for it but the play call was stupid
Easy to say after the fact but that type of play was getting big yardage throughout the game. And it's not like our offense has some go to bread and better type of play that we just knock out of the park on a consistent basis. When you have an OL full of leaks then any and every play call can blow up in your face.

asleep003

Curious of interest by the OP. He said there was no way in Hell we would have a season, and for those that did, they were fools.

I apologize for thread hijack, but had to call a Curt on him.
How about "Don't hold your breath for a 2020 Football season, yet" ...

Nothing close to calling anyone a fool(s) ... YOU just made that up !.

Don't be a creep and you did hijack ... what was actually said ! I've never pulled this kind of crap on any person on this forum.

Curious of interest by the OP. He said there was no way in Hell we would have a season, and for those that did, they were fools.

I apologize for thread hijack, but had to call a Curt on him.
Come now, its a time for healing and forgiveness. People need to let go of their hatred and embrace a new dawn of togetherness and unity.

And anyone who disagrees will be executed or sent to a gulag.