• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Patterson says team ‘finally getting older’

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Gary Patterson adjusts TCU’s practice schedule to allow players opportunity to go vote

By Katherine Griffith

The Frogs are coming off their biggest win of the season against Baylor, and are now preparing for Texas Tech. Gary Patterson made an appearance in the Big 12 teleconference Monday, and here are some highlights from what he said:

‘Finally getting older’

Patterson said his team is finally getting to play consistently every week and he sees his younger guys beginning to improve. At the beginning of the season, Patterson talked about how much the younger players needed developing, but he is now starting to see that growth.

Zach Evans touched the ball eight times in the game against Baylor -- seven runs and one reception -- for a total of 91 yards.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...erson-says-his-team-is-finally-getting-older/

Moose Stuff

I believe that is what he is referring to, the younger guys improving and getting better with experience.

That line doesn't work on me anymore. It's just a line he throws out there because he doesn't know what else to say. You watch guys like Jenkins/Barquet/Coleman etc.... and it's immediately evident that the dude who's been playing in front of them since week one should never have been on the field. I'm tired of Gary playing the older kids who won't make mistakes instead of the younger more talented kids who will make some mistakes. These kids didn't "grow up". They just finally got on the field.

Pharm Frog

That line doesn't work on me anymore. It's just a line he throws out there because he doesn't know what else to say. You watch guys like Jenkins/Barquet/Coleman etc.... and it's immediately evident that the dude who's been playing in front of them since week one should never have been on the field. I'm tired of Gary playing the older kids who won't make mistakes instead of the younger more talented kids who will make some mistakes. These kids didn't "grow up". They just finally got on the field.

It’s not exactly like the “older” ones weren’t making mistakes...sometimes to the tune of 40+ yard plays and 3rd down and 18 conversions. Young ones could do that.

Relic

In a perverse way, 2020 should be the year to give everybody a shot on the field. The year is already officially toast. Every record book entry will be asterisked. Every bowl game nearly meaningless. Championships farcical. So give the bench-warmers some game-time, make the veterans work harder to earn playing time. This may well be a once-in-a-lifetime year for that sort of stuff. On the other hand, I could be mistaken...

Moose Stuff

In a perverse way, 2020 should be the year to give everybody a shot on the field. The year is already officially toast. Every record book entry will be asterisked. Every bowl game nearly meaningless. Championships farcical. So give the bench-warmers some game-time, make the veterans work harder to earn playing time. This may well be a once-in-a-lifetime year for that sort of stuff. On the other hand, I could be mistaken...

Could not agree more. As soon as it was evident we were mediocre at best I would have been playing the young guys as much as possible.