• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Former TCU basketball coach Billy Tubbs is in hospice care

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Former TCU basketball coach Billy Tubbs is in hospice care

BY Big Steaming Pile

One of the most colorful, successful, and funnier men in the history of college basketball is struggling right now, and Billy Tubbs and his family could use a prayer or two.

The man who coached the Oklahoma Sooners to the NCAA title game in 1988, and made TCU basketball nationally relevant, is 85 and has entered hospice care in a facility near Lake Texoma, which borders Oklahoma and Texas.

Former TCU staffers became aware of the situation on Thursday when Tubbs’ son, Tommy, let people know about his father’s condition.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article246811197.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
When the coach at Hawaii made disparaging remarks about Tubbs, someone from the Frog Fan Forum faxed the quotes to Billy at the team's hotel. At the end of the televised game in which TCU drubbed the Bows the two coaches met, Billy had some words for the coach and crammed the fax into the coach's jacket.

At UNLV, the Rebels were very good and entered the darkened arena to a lights and lasers display. Tubbs once had the TCU team trot out holding sparklers.

At SMU, I was on the floor of Moody covering the game and after the TCU win I made my way towards Tubbs on the floor to follow him and get to the post-game presser. There was a crowd of people as we neared the door and Tubbs was hit just above his left eye by a penny thrown from the stands. The next time TCU played at Moody Tubbs wore goggles going onto the floor.

At OU against Kansas State in a televised game, the Sooners fans were livid over the officiating and were yelling and throwing things onto the court. The refs told Billy to get the crowd under control or start getting technicals. Billy took the PA mic and said "NO MATTER HOW BAD THE OFFICIATING IS ..." the crowd went gonzo and Billy got T'eed up.

Perhaps my greatest day on the TCU campus was the Saturday the TCU baseball team swept Texas in a doubleheader at the old diamond to clinch the SWC during which Tubbs was surprisingly announced as the new basketball coach.

Last edited:

tcumaniac

Prayers for Billy and his family.

I'll never forget doing Billy Tubbs basketball camp as a kid. Funny enough, former player and now current staff member, Thomas Montigel, was my age and always at the camp too.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It wasn't long after he was announced as the Basketball Coach that he was flown down to Houston for the Coaches Event, which at that time was a round of golf, followed by a dinner with speeches and such. Billy was absolutely hilarious: "We get to go to Hawaii, instead of Manhattan, Kansas. I've been to Manhattan, Kansas... It sucks."

Salfrog

Tier 1
Always loved Billy Tubbs. He was a very personable person. I remember the year we played University of North Texas up in Denton, my father & I sat right behind he & his wife. He knew us from my dad working in the athlete department, but he was just sitting there cutting up with the people around us. Hard to believe that he would be sitting right there in the middle of fans, but there he was making jokes and having a good time. His wife was a wonderful lady also, talking to everyone as though they were all long time friends.

I hate hearing that he is in hospice care. Someone that was so full of energy & fun to be around. He always found a way to make the best & funny part out of a bad situation. My heart & prayers go out to him and his family.

Boomhauer

When the coach at Hawaii made disparaging remarks about Tubbs, someone from the Frog Fan Forum faxed the quotes to Billy at the team's hotel. At the end of the televised game in which TCU drubbed the Bows the two coaches met, Billy had some words for the coach and crammed the fax into the coach's jacket.

At UNLV, the Rebels were very good and entered the darkened arena to a lights and lasers display. Tubbs once had the TCU team trot out holding sparklers.

At SMU, I was on the floor of Moody covering the game and after the TCU win I made my way towards Tubbs on the floor to follow him and get to the post-game presser. There was a crowd of people as we neared the door and Tubbs was hit just above his left eye by a penny thrown from the stands. The next time TCU played at Moody Tubbs wore goggles going onto the floor.

At OU against Kansas State in a televised game, the Sooners fans were livid over the officiating and were yelling and throwing things onto the court. The refs told Billy to get the crowd under control or start getting technicals. Billy took the PA mic and said "NO MATTER HOW BAD THE OFFICIATING IS ..." the crowd went gonzo and Billy got T'eed up.

Perhaps my greatest day on the TCU campus was the Saturday the TCU baseball team swept Texas in a doubleheader at the old diamond to clinch the SWC during which Tubbs was surprisingly announced as the new basketball coach.

Classics