• The KillerFrogs

Former Players - Your Thoughts

Wexahu

The man has coached football for twenty some years and coached about every position beside kickers so you would expect that he has some level of knowledge about the game. The problem, as we have seen time and again, is that for whatever reason he is not effective at communicating that and preparing and developing players which results in whatever he is coaching being the worst performing unit on the field. How many times does this happen before it is something other than coincidence or bad luck?

Fair enough, but what about Cumbie? What evidence is there that Cumbie is a better coach than Anderson?

Just seems like JA is the whipping boy for the entire pile of crap that is our offense. I see way more “fire Anderson” comments than fire some of the other dead weight on this staff, staff that is actually far more responsible and higher paid.

The coaches recruited the players that aren’t performing! They could have recruited different players but chose this oline the one we watch not blocking the whole game. Our offense sucks we have no identity or scheme.

our defense is a big play waiting to happen. We can look great on defense then give up a 90 yard td run. We give up deep pass plays all the time to accurate deep throwing qb’s. When our defense has to get a stop it can’t anymore except UT our only win!

Special teams suck no coach and it shows and blows!

Eight

I agree the defense is a problem especially if the opposing coach is stealing your signs. You are very exposed. Why that supposedly continues to happen year after year is another topic. If Gary had the same secret tactics or hidden signs before he and TCU became famous then the Frogs would continue with success. Sadly now, not happening

what is the saying by ben franklin about the man who stopped learning?

McGregor's Goat

I have never been a fan of a retread hire. Name one retread hire that has ever worked.

I agree with the general sentiment (don't hire a guy who failed somewhere else), but it's not true that they never work. Gene Chizik and Ed Orgeron were both retreads who won national titles. Chizik is complicated because he wasn't fired by ISU, he just had a terrible record and he's probably the worst coach to ever win a natty, but still.

On an NFL level, Bill Belichick was a retread (failed in Cleveland) and he's the greatest coach of all time. Pete Carroll was a failed NFL coach when USC hired him. I think the odds are against a retread (shockingly, Mike Locksley appears to still be an unbelievably terrible coach; also see Charlie Weis) but every hire is a crap shoot.

helcap

The coaches recruited the players that aren’t performing! They could have recruited different players but chose this oline the one we watch not blocking the whole game. Our offense sucks we have no identity or scheme.

our defense is a big play waiting to happen. We can look great on defense then give up a 90 yard td run. We give up deep pass plays all the time to accurate deep throwing qb’s. When our defense has to get a stop it can’t anymore except UT our only win!

Special teams suck no coach and it shows and blows!
All but true freshman OL were recruited by Thomsen, a fact most Anderson bashers seem to ignore. And no, he didn't make guys forget what they learned under him

Eight

I agree with the general sentiment (don't hire a guy who failed somewhere else), but it's not true that they never work. Gene Chizik and Ed Orgeron were both retreads who won national titles. Chizik is complicated because he wasn't fired by ISU, he just had a terrible record and he's probably the worst coach to ever win a natty, but still.

On an NFL level, Bill Belichick was a retread (failed in Cleveland) and he's the greatest coach of all time. Pete Carroll was a failed NFL coach when USC hired him. I think the odds are against a retread (shockingly, Mike Locksley appears to still be an unbelievably terrible coach; also see Charlie Weis) but every hire is a crap shoot.

some very good points, but one big key

belichick and carroll learned from prior mistakes and made changes.

chizik was somewhat of a one-hit wonder and eddie o needs to prove he can win without a certain assistant on offense. he lost to nichols state for goodness sake

this is where we find ourselves with gary, the defensive staff, sonny, doug, anderson, and kill. have they learned from their mistakes or are they still showing systematic arrogance and trying to do things that aren't working on the fleld

losing isn't the issue as other have stated on this board, but how things have played out. the defense is historically bad against the run and giving up big plays at a rate surpassing every other big 12 team and most of college football. consider that two of the four teams they have played are a methodical isu team on offense and ksu with a true freshman quarterback and that isn't good. especially when you consider that ok state, tech, and wvu all have shown the ability to move the ball.

the only consistent pass rush is an undersized true freshman and the defensive ends and linebackers have been terrible against the run

pass coverage we see the same issues again and again and again

offensively we are back to no identity, a grab bag play calling approach, an over reliance on trick plays and odd formations and note that as more and more teams are getting film the offense seems to struggle

a "retread" coach who has learned from their mistakes and experiences can be very valuable and successful as you pointed out, but ones that are going right back to the same patterns only bring the same result to their prior parting with the program

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Chizik had the benefit of the Best QB Money Could Buy that one season. His other notable achievement after winning the MNC was writing a children's book. With words and everything!

As McG's Goat points out: "...but every hire is a crapshoot." Spot on. We have no idea of the issues or variables that will make or break a New Guy. This is why I tend towards the "Fix What We Got" approach rather than the "Let's All Go To The Dumpster!" choice.

The issue with Fixing is that those who need the fixing seem terribly reluctant to admit that there is an issue. As 8 notes: "have they learned from their mistakes or are they still showing systematic arrogance and trying to do things that aren't working on the field." Sadly, the latter is true. Thus, with each passing week of disaster, bumbling, disorder, and humiliation, the "Dumpster!" choice is looking like the only solution.

Fair enough, but what about Cumbie? What evidence is there that Cumbie is a better coach than Anderson?

Just seems like JA is the whipping boy for the entire pile of crap that is our offense. I see way more “fire Anderson” comments than fire some of the other dead weight on this staff, staff that is actually far more responsible and higher paid.
I’m not sure there is any evidence of that and last year there was a very large focus on Cumbie. He, however, was demoted to no longer being the play calling OC while JA was reassigned again to OL where he was previously awful without the GA who actually coached the OL and now the OL is so horrendously bad that I’m not even sure how you go about evaluating what the play caller would like to do. As at least to the eyeball test, we might have the worst OL I’ve seen this season outside of UNLV who somehow managed to look even worse.

4 Oaks Frog

He was my position coach when I first started. Good guy, I think his style is better suited for a receivers or RB coach than DL or OL coach. It's not that he doesn't know what he is doing, but just his demeanor and coaching method is a little bit more laid back and analytical rather than the tough IN YOUR FACE GET AFTER IT style of coach.
Well, he has a hell of a lot to analyze right now, doesn’t he?
GO FROGS!
BEAT baylor!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok baylor!!

researchfrog

All but true freshman OL were recruited by Thomsen, a fact most Anderson bashers seem to ignore. And no, he didn't make guys forget what they learned under him

I thought TCU's recruiting assignments were based on geography rather than based on position? I.e., a certain coach covers east Texas, another covers DFW, etc.

4th. down

Chizik had the benefit of the Best QB Money Could Buy that one season. His other notable achievement after winning the MNC was writing a children's book. With words and everything!

As McG's Goat points out: "...but every hire is a crapshoot." Spot on. We have no idea of the issues or variables that will make or break a New Guy. This is why I tend towards the "Fix What We Got" approach rather than the "Let's All Go To The Dumpster!" choice.

The issue with Fixing is that those who need the fixing seem terribly reluctant to admit that there is an issue. As 8 notes: "have they learned from their mistakes or are they still showing systematic arrogance and trying to do things that aren't working on the field." Sadly, the latter is true. Thus, with each passing week of disaster, bumbling, disorder, and humiliation, the "Dumpster!" choice is looking like the only solution.

Brewing, believe we are now at that point, he has to go. No more bandaids, when major surgery is required. Bleed Purple or bleed out, we keep waiting for something good to happen that Kill or anyone else will bring to the table to turn this program around and by that time, we will be bled out.

helcap

I thought TCU's recruiting assignments were based on geography rather than based on position? I.e., a certain coach covers east Texas, another covers DFW, etc.
yes, but position coach determines whether an offer is made. For example you are not going to have Fitch deciding whether to offer a QB