• The KillerFrogs

2020-21 Hoops Season Thread

Skip Jansen

If this is a reasonable expectation what would you consider to be our ceiling? Floor?

As I mentioned earlier, the B12 is loaded again. The thing that really separates the B12 from other leagues is the quality of depth. There are never any really bad teams. No guaranteed wins (especially on the road).

I think the Frogs will most likely be picked 8th or 9th by most analysts. I think that's too low. IMO, the top 4 teams, in the league, are pretty obvious. Baylor, KU, TTU, and WVU should finish 1-4 (in some order). It would be hard for the Frogs to penetrate that group.

So... I guess that makes the ceiling 5th and the floor probably 7th. 5th is a definite NCAA Tournament team, 6th is on the bubble, and 7th is in the NIT.

Purp

As I mentioned earlier, the B12 is loaded again. The thing that really separates the B12 from other leagues is the quality of depth. There are never any really bad teams. No guaranteed wins (especially on the road).

I think the Frogs will most likely be picked 8th or 9th by most analysts. I think that's too low. IMO, the top 4 teams, in the league, are pretty obvious. Baylor, KU, TTU, and WVU should finish 1-4 (in some order). It would be hard for the Frogs to penetrate that group.

So... I guess that makes the ceiling 5th and the floor probably 7th. 5th is a definite NCAA Tournament team, 6th is on the bubble, and 7th is in the NIT.
If the B12 is that loaded why wouldn't the 7th placed team also get a tourney bid?

Skip Jansen

If the B12 is that loaded why wouldn't the 7th placed team also get a tourney bid?

I believe 7 B12 teams got in in 2018, but that was unusual.

It's hard for any league to get 70% of their teams in. The selection committee may say that they don't judge teams by conference, but that's not the truth.

The Frogs in 2019 are a perfect example. They were 'in' the tournament in 182 out of 195 brackets on Bracket Matrix and averaged a 10 seed. Big 12 had 6 teams make it that year.

St. John's made it as the Big East's 4th team and Arizona St. got in as the 3rd team from the PAC-12. Most bracketologists projected that the PAC-12 would get 1 team in (2 max).

It's not the 68 best teams in the country. Never has been, never will.

Last edited:

BleedNPurple

I called ticket office because i don’t want to lose my seats but haven’t heard anything about Season starting. Was told NCAA still contemplating if there will be a season. We’re on hold- has anything changed?

Skip Jansen

I called ticket office because i don’t want to lose my seats but haven’t heard anything about Season starting. Was told NCAA still contemplating if there will be a season. We’re on hold- has anything changed?

The plan is for games to begin on Nov. 25th. Teams are trying to finalize their schedule now. The ticket office should know something firm in a week or so.

Skip Jansen

I had the original schedule before the shut down. I'm pretty sure some of those games are still a go.

- Providence is coming to FW to play the Frogs in the Big 12-Big East Challenge
- The Frogs are playing in the HOF Classic in Kansas City (Northwestern, South Carolina, Tulsa)
- Big 12-SEC Challenge Opponent TBD
- Texas A&M and Colorado were both originally scheduled to play the Frogs in FW as well

I'll check on the status and let you know.

Last edited:

Eight

thanks for the info skip, but i will say any pre-season posts about men's basketball players being improved shooting the ball are akin to hearing the frogs have found plenty of depth at quarterback

need to see it to believe it and not just in the number of bodies attempting

PO Frog

thanks for the info skip, but i will say any pre-season posts about men's basketball players being improved shooting the ball are akin to hearing the frogs have found plenty of depth at quarterback

need to see it to believe it and not just in the number of bodies attempting
Throwing downfield more!

Punter1

Great summary ..something we have very rarely ever had..and I mean since I started watching us in 1981 was depth at the 4/5.

Seeing we got maybe 5 or 6 bigs that are actually Big 12 caliber players is exciting and almost hard to believe.

So question Skip...you have Bello starting over PJ....you really think thats the right call???

wilson912

UOTE="Punter1, post: 2919587, member: 7222"]Great summary ..something we have very rarely ever had..and I mean since I started watching us in 1981 was depth at the 4/5.

Seeing we got maybe 5 or 6 bigs that are actually Big 12 caliber players is exciting and almost hard to believe.

So question Skip...you have Bello starting over PJ....you really think thats the right call???[/QUOTE]
Great summary ..something we have very rarely ever had..and I mean since I started watching us in 1981 was depth at the 4/5.

So question Skip...you have Bello starting over PJ....you really think thats the right call???

Skip,

Ultimately, what position is PJ? Is he a true PG or more of a 3?

Skip Jansen

PJ has been dealing with an injury and illness, so he is a little behind the other guards.

When he gets healthy, he'll be back in the playing rotation and could possibly start.