• The KillerFrogs

In person NCAA experience has to change...

East Coast

Tier 1
Halftime should be reduced by 3-4 minutes. Replay should be limited to 90 seconds. If you can't see enough to change the call in 90 seconds, call stands.
Supposedly they put a 2 minute cap on replay review, but it doesn't feel like the officials are following that.

I'd even be ok with lengthening halftime a little to cut back on the in game delays. A lot of folks like to socialize at halftime, and it gives you plenty of time to hit the bathroom and the concession stand. At home there are lots of things you could do with that time.

ftwfrog

Simple
1- Only stop the clock on first downs in the last 2 minutes of a half.
2- Give coaches 2 challenges. If you are successful, you get one back. There seems to be 10 reviews a game.

Wexahu

Simple
1- Only stop the clock on first downs in the last 2 minutes of a half.
2- Give coaches 2 challenges. If you are successful, you get one back. There seems to be 10 reviews a game.

As to #1, the game itself is not too long, the breaks are too long. Agree on #2, they look at too many plays.

Not all that relevant to the total game time, but they should stop the clock until the ball is snapped when a player runs out of bounds, and they should not stop the clock to move the first down chains. Needless starting and stopping of the clock all game long, it's ridiculously stupid. And those rules are followed completely different in the 4th quarter of a close game than they are the rest of the game. They'll stop it for like 4 seconds to move the chains in Quarter 1. That turns into 12 seconds late in a close game.

Big Frog II

NFL half times are 12 minutes, college they're 20. Commercials could be run like soccer where they do them while the game is going on to keep the other breaks much shorter. Yes, Fox is the worst. My concern is that fans are going to start staying away from the games. One benefit of the MWC, was the fact the commercial breaks were much, much shorter. Of course the paychecks were too.

Boomhauer

NFL half times are 12 minutes, college they're 20. Commercials could be run like soccer where they do them while the game is going on to keep the other breaks much shorter. Yes, Fox is the worst. My concern is that fans are going to start staying away from the games. One benefit of the MWC, was the fact the commercial breaks were much, much shorter. Of course the paychecks were too.

I like this idea. Shorter games and way better for those in attendance. Would also encourage people to attend the games.

Obviously, it's a cumulation of things--the extended halftime, the clock stoppages after first downs, time of commercial breaks and time allowed for replays. It's pretty occasional that I go to NFL games but both in person and on TV, they do seem to progress quite a bit better. It really would not take a lot of effort to shave some time from the games and the networks could make up some of their time on the half-time shows with shows in-between games instead of having games run over into their next scheduled game.

4 Oaks Frog

Keep in mind that right now we have college football. In a few weeks, we will not. Life without football is the longest type of boring breaks. This [ hundin] board will certainly be more boring then. Cheer up [ mother farger ]s, at least for a little while, OK?

GO FROGS!
BEAT SOMEBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok baylor!!

Big Frog II

Everything blows when your team is playing shippy. Add in the Rona, and it’s a recipe for bitching.
The interruptions during the game have been getting increasingly long. It may have reached the point of no return unless they come up with a way to make it better. I just have to wonder how many fans college football is going to lose to TV once the virus is under control. Will way too many decide to forget the hassle, the money spent, and the time getting to and from the game and stay home? That's what all ADs have to be concerned about at this time. Again playing games at 11 or 2 when its 90+ degrees is not helping and neither is the length of the game.

Wexahu

The interruptions during the game have been getting increasingly long. It may have reached the point of no return unless they come up with a way to make it better. I just have to wonder how many fans college football is going to lose to TV once the virus is under control. Will way too many decide to forget the hassle, the money spent, and the time getting to and from the game and stay home? That's what all ADs have to be concerned about at this time. Again playing games at 11 or 2 when its 90+ degrees is not helping and neither is the length of the game.

Winning, and winning big, is the only way the seats are gonna get filled. If we're a perennial .500 team the stadium is gonna be half full (except for the OU and Texas games). COVID has changed the way people spend their free time so that doesn't help, but ultimately it comes down to putting a winning product on the field. Too much other stuff to do around here to spend 5-6 hours of your day watching lousy football.

MAcFroggy

I think part of the issue of halftime length is a crappy halftime show. When you go to a OU game, a Texas game, or definitely a Texas A&M game the halftime show is a big deal. The bands look and sound great.

the tcu band just isn’t large enough nor does it have a great halftime show tradition to be a huge draw.

the commercial breaks on the other hand.... woof.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Have to agree. Actually going to a football game is boring as hell for 5 hours, punctuated by about 15 minutes of cumulative excitement.

tmcats

yeah, as an outsider, i'm with y'all on this. but nothing material changes without chaos, in this case, fans would have to walk.

tv controls everything because it's all about money. athletics and university presidents wallow with hogs for an extra buck here or there to pad their budgets.

ticket sales, albeit a huge budget contributor, do not come close to the conference/school revenue streams generated from tv contracts.

FrogAbroad

It's gotta be a beating sitting there in the stadium.

At home I can watch the game while relaxing in my uncrowded den, seated in my trusty old recliner, making an occasional trip to a clean, odor-free john, passing the dead time munching on not-overpriced snacks and braiding a new headstall. The first few years of being unable to visit The Carter in person, much less able to buy season tickets, I really missed it. But now, after reading/hearing all the grief caused from actually being there, I'm content at home, watching with the TV remote handy.

Yeah...gotta be a beating sitting there in the stadium.