• The KillerFrogs

College baseball question....

Punter1

....because our football program pisses me off right now.

Is there any new momentum to possibly raise the scholarship limit since we basically have a limitless year this year???

I think we all can agree having only/almost 12 scholarships for the 3rd most popular college sport is insane. The number needs to be closer to 30. Also is there any resentment or behind the scenes lobbying from MLB to keep the scholarship limit low so more kids will potentially choose that route out of high school? I always wondered that.

Pharm Frog

....because our football program pisses me off right now.

Is there any new momentum to possibly raise the scholarship limit since we basically have a limitless year this year???

I think we all can agree having only/almost 12 scholarships for the 3rd most popular college sport is insane. The number needs to be closer to 30. Also is there any resentment or behind the scenes lobbying from MLB to keep the scholarship limit low so more kids will potentially choose that route out of high school? I always wondered that.

There is someone far more qualified than me to answer your last question but I will surmise that MLB wouldn't mind even more scholarships available at the NCAA level. It's not like they are keen on keeping a whole bunch of minor league teams....opposite in fact. I also don't see them returning to a 123 round draft process in the near future either (hyperbole)

Punter1

There is someone far more qualified than me to answer your last question but I will surmise that MLB wouldn't mind even more scholarships available at the NCAA level. It's not like they are keen on keeping a whole bunch of minor league teams....opposite in fact. I also don't see them returning to a 123 round draft process in the near future either (hyperbole)

Yea...when Moose wakes up from his post lunch nap I'm hopeful he will chime in.

But you make a good point on MLB trying to eliminate some of their minor league teams. It obviously would be much more cost efficient for the college programs to act as their minor leagues, just like in football and basketball.

And Moose would obviously know this better than me as well, but I gotta think MLB teams would rather get a more matured, developed 21 year old than a kid straight outta HS.

hometown frog

All the back stories out there on social media say MLB fully supports adding schollies to ncaa baseball. (Think Schloss made that public during one of his big speeches w ABCA a couple of seasons ago when he championed the effort and I believe even had MLB Commish on one of those discussions .)

the biggest hold ups are the universities themselves. They don’t want the additional costs nor the mirrored costs to comply w Title IX that would come with expanding scholarship limits on baseball.

Pharm Frog

All the back stories out there on social media say MLB fully supports adding schollies to ncaa baseball. (Think Schloss made that public during one of his big speeches w ABCA a couple of seasons ago when he championed the effort and I believe even had MLB Commish on one of those discussions .)

the biggest hold ups are the universities themselves. They don’t want the additional costs nor the mirrored costs to comply w Title IX that would come with expanding scholarship limits on baseball.

Additional scholarships would kill some baseball programs and send some schools scrambling under Title IX. I believe the Coastal Carolina AD or coach said that increasing scholarships would essentially take down their program. It wasn’t that long ago that some programs weren’t even funding the 11.7 or whatever.

Pharm Frog

Additional scholarships would kill some baseball programs and send some schools scrambling under Title IX. I believe the Coastal Carolina AD or coach said that increasing scholarships would essentially take down their program. It wasn’t that long ago that some programs weren’t even funding the 11.7 or whatever.
EDIT. That said...11.7 is a ridiculously low number and I believe to be borderline dangerous

Eight

maybe if he had more scholarships he wouldn't make one guy pitch every game in the post season

TCUdirtbag

I wouldn't expect the scholarship limit to go up anytime soon. The main reason has been covered above and COVID did not help.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but COVID is thinning out some sponsored sports across the country (Minnesota joined that crew today cancelling men’s tennis, indoor T&F, and gymnastics). I wonder if that trend continues and on the other side, several+ years down the road, allows expansion of scholarships in baseball in lieu of adding back fourth and fifth tier sports.

Pharm Frog

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but COVID is thinning out some sponsored sports across the country (Minnesota joined that crew today cancelling men’s tennis, indoor T&F, and gymnastics). I wonder if that trend continues and on the other side, several+ years down the road, allows expansion of scholarships in baseball in lieu of adding back fourth and fifth tier sports.

Most of my contacts are in D2 and I’ve spoken with a few ADs and coaches and one college president who seem to think that we could see many sports start to vanish at their level including big sports. Said the same thing about residence living.

Moose Stuff

Most of my contacts are in D2 and I’ve spoken with a few ADs and coaches and one college president who seem to think that we could see many sports start to vanish at their level including big sports. Said the same thing about residence living.

We've only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of negative impact of COVID on college sports IMO.

frogtex

my guess the only way baseball scholarships go up is if you saw the P5 schools break away from everyone else, negotiated a huge, new TV contract for college football/football playoff/men's basketball tournament to create new huge revenue streams and then they decided to really up the ante in a sport like baseball....you would still have title 9 to deal with....so....pretty much no chance it happens.

However.......if you saw over the last few months, the ncaa changed the rule that now allows schools to combine need based aid with athletic aid (which was previously impermissible)....TCU is on the very low end of giving out need based aid when compared to Vanderbilt, Stanford, Rice, etc....but, every little bit I'm sure will help so I would guess that rule change is pleasing to CJS and company.

still an uphill battle for a private school in a sport like baseball though