• The KillerFrogs

Lay off the Oline

JugbandFrog

As much as I hate the dirty, cheap arse OU line, they have always been nasty. Like this gal. Look at that, uses leverage and then follows through.

4th. down

Let’s be honest, bringing in Kill was kind of a joke.

Wex, he needed a pal and he likes "yes men" around him although Kill probably doesn't fit that particular description. We would have to go inside the huddle to really know if any assistants challenge him in staff meetings.......I say no one dares.

4th. down

As much as I hate the dirty, cheap arse OU line, they have always been nasty. Like this gal. Look at that, uses leverage and then follows through.

Speaking of that, yesterday, Riley pulled 2 on the same play, tackle and guard, and they both made their blocks for a nice long run. I thought, it isn't that complicated, they just did it.

Eight

Speaking of that, yesterday, Riley pulled 2 on the same play, tackle and guard, and they both made their blocks for a nice long run. I thought, it isn't that complicated, they just did it.

wait, you can actually move your offensive linemen around the field in a predetermined and designated pattern in an attempt to open a running lane?

giphy.gif

JugbandFrog

wait, you can actually move your offensive linemen around the field in a predetermined and designated pattern in an attempt to open a running lane?

giphy.gif
We actually do pull our lineman, their technique is so bad that it ends with them being out if position, making a penalty. Again. Poor coaching. I had middle schoolers using better techniques than our line.

Raw Frog

We actually do pull our lineman, their technique is so bad that it ends with them being out if position, making a penalty. Again. Poor coaching. I had middle schoolers using better techniques than our line.
What are they coaching in practice? How can it get so bad?
What are they not doing in practice they should be doing?

Eight

an interesting bit, jeremy yesterday talked about austin's comments and mentioned how anderson has had nothing to do with the development of austin as olineman prior to this year which isn't exactly right

austin was coached in year 1 by anderson and austin was going to transfer after year 1 until the frogs brought in chris thomsen.

you can also go back and find comments from lucas niang about the difference in the coaching he received from thomsen

what happened the last two years under ct and the offensive line? who the scheiss knows.

what i do know is the only time we have had what looked to be a co-ordinated, functioning offense the past 4 years was in 2017 and that all wasn't because we had a senior quarterback.

the scheme was different, the emphasis on the place of the run game was different, the use of the counter in the run game etc.... and i can not see parts of that offense in 2016, 2018, and 2019

we have been told that offense was not the works of sonny dykes, but unless that was the work of curtis luper and/or thomsen i am at a loss as to why what was effective then is completely missing from the offense now especially when the backs are supposed to be a strength of the offense

Mean Purple

Don’t know much about O-line play but I think the wide splits are stupid. And I don’t think they are helping our lineman or any facet of our offense. Defenses play 3 lineman and crowd the intermediate zones and there is just nothing there. You can’t exploit the soft front because you’re in the shotgun 100% of the time and there are zero quick-hitting downhill runs. Everything is zone read. Force lineman to block in space and the running game can be neutralized pretty easily. Just my opinion.
I think the wide splits have their place ... limited place. Defensive coaches have figured it out and don't get suckered on the gaps anymore. They coach the players better on that these days.

Obviously, it takes a while for an O-line to gel and the loss of spring season and early games impacts them They are just now getting a feel for having folks flying down around their legs, etc.

That said, is the current O-line coach good enough to coach them up and develop them? I'm not sure anybody agrees.

Also, the o-line needs to get grouchy. Play aggressive and mean. They don't have a grouch on when they play. Same last year. That's coaching.

Mean Purple

Let’s be honest, bringing in Kill was kind of a joke.
I had hope at first, but I think that was to district from concern that maybe GP was just throwing up a hail mary so he could focus on D.
Or worse, he had no prospect list for cetain coaching postions.

Mean Purple

this and i don't know why people keep saying the run game has been bad as the only thing stopping the run game has been the guy calling plays and that is meacham
Agreed. Our run game is pretty solid. Not sure why we don't get after that more. We should game like Auburn does. Run first and them burn em on a deep ball. Our o-line plays way more mean on run blocking. Like they enjoy knocking a defender on his [briles]

Wexahu

Agreed. Our run game is pretty solid. Not sure why we don't get after that more. We should game like Auburn does. Run first and them burn em on a deep ball. Our o-line plays way more mean on run blocking. Like they enjoy knocking a defender on his [briles]

Not sure why? Who are our OCs? Who calls plays?

I think it's pretty obvious, it's because the people who are running this offense don't believe in that kind of football.

Wexahu

I had hope at first, but I think that was to district from concern that maybe GP was just throwing up a hail mary so he could focus on D.
Or worse, he had no prospect list for cetain coaching postions.

It was the move of a guy that knows something needs to change but doesn't really have it in him to change. If I were an AD and my football coach needed to make some significant changes on the offensive side of the ball and his recommendation was to bring in his best man from his wedding and a guy he let walk three years ago, I would have said, no I think we need to aim a little higher than that.

Dogfrog

This will be an unpopular post. I am not qualified to judge OL coaching, and maybe Anderson should be fired but just for review of Anderson’s years with the TCU OL

Anderson

1998 - Grad Asst OL on the Sun Bowl team

2014 - Following a 4-8 season in 2013 with maybe the worst OL play ever, Eddie Williamson retired and Anderson replaced him. As OL coach. 12-1 Peach Bowl team

2015 - Anderson OL coach. 11-2

2016 - OL coach 6-7

Thomsen

2017 - Anderson moved to IR -TE coach to make way for Thomsen. 11-3

2018 - Thomsen. 7-6

2019 - Thomsen 5-7

2020 - This year we can’t pass block for [ Finebaum ]. Again, not defending Anderson. Just think he’s been a long time whipping boy here. Also he was co- OC / RB coach on the Rose Bowl team but of course that was all Fuente. Also many believe Anderson never coached his OL’s, some GA who is no longer coaching gets the credit.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It was the move of a guy that knows something needs to change but doesn't really have it in him to change. If I were an AD and my football coach needed to make some significant changes on the offensive side of the ball and his recommendation was to bring in his best man from his wedding and a guy he let walk three years ago, I would have said, no I think we need to aim a little higher than that.
I didn't really have a problem with the Kill hire. GMFP needs somebody who can tell him "no" that he respects.

I still don't get the Meacham re-hire. GMFP essentially ran him off, and then publicly humiliated him when Kansas came to town. I guess he felt sorry for him?