• The KillerFrogs

Who Can We Reasonably Expect To Take TCU Job?

LVH

I have asked this question every season the last 3 years

So many want us to make a change for the sake of making a change.

I always say be careful what you wish for. Name one program who ran off a successful coach for the sake of making a change where it paid off. I can name plenty of scenarios where it backfired. People will point to LSU but they have so many built in advantages we don't have.

The last 3 years its been funny to listen to you all name your wishlist of candidates to come be head coach here. Most of them are unrealistic. Those that are realistic are not upgrades. If you are going to run off a successful coach it better damn well be a sure thing. Matt Wells was a name mentioned 2 years ago, how is he doing at Tech?

LVH

I would be ecstatic to have Sonny Dykes be the head coach. He seems to not only have the x's and o's in all three phases, knows Texas recruiting and knows how to build a culture and market the product. We are sorely lacking in all of these areas.

Yeah that 28 point bowl loss last year really showed he can coach

Eight

Their defense has always been their strong point.

strong point?

ah....... you have watson in 2016 and then the 2018 team had sunshine throwing for 3,000+ and a 1,600+ rusher

defense has been loaded with talent, but if that offense isn't the equal of their defense i truly hope tcu can some day get that type of imbalance in their program

wilson912

I have asked this question every season the last 3 years

So many want us to make a change for the sake of making a change.

I always say be careful what you wish for. Name one program who ran off a successful coach for the sake of making a change where it paid off. I can name plenty of scenarios where it backfired. People will point to LSU but they have so many built in advantages we don't have.

The last 3 years its been funny to listen to you all name your wishlist of candidates to come be head coach here. Most of them are unrealistic. Those that are realistic are not upgrades. If you are going to run off a successful coach it better damn well be a sure thing. Matt Wells was a name mentioned 2 years ago, how is he doing at Tech?
I am as big a fan of GP as you but he’s done. His best days are past him. Concerned with legacy and defensive stats only. He gotta go. Not willing to let Meacham run offense and score 40 when his defense may give up 30. Galls him.

asleep003

The best scenario would be for GP to stay & let his buddies go, and bring in some new blood for the OL, DL, QB, and OC. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen neither.

The DL coaching is just fine... DT talent is good for now... it's the DE talent that has caused pressure issues the past 2019/20 two seasons.

Wexahu

If you are going to run off a successful coach it better damn well be a sure thing.

This is where there has to be some "what have you done lately" involved in the decision making process. GP will always be a successful coach by definition but I'd argue over the past 3 seasons he hasn't been all that successful. So it's not like we'd be running off a guy who just had a run of 9 and 10 win seasons, we'd be running off a guy who is probably in the twilight of his career whose program might be trending down. More than anything, we have played like a poorly coached, unprepared team way too often in recent years.

Not saying he should be gone, but I have no problem with the seat getting pretty warm. GP needs to fix some stuff.....quickly. And there is no such thing as a sure thing but that's just the dice you might have to roll. This is a pretty stale program right now.

Fosterpark Squatter

This is where there has to be some "what have you done lately" involved in the decision making process. GP will always be a successful coach by definition but I'd argue over the past 3 seasons he hasn't been all that successful. So it's not like we'd be running off a guy who just had a run of 9 and 10 win seasons, we'd be running off a guy who is probably in the twilight of his career whose program might be trending down. More than anything, we have played like a poorly coached, unprepared team way too often in recent years.

Not saying he should be gone, but I have no problem with the seat getting pretty warm. GP needs to fix some stuff.....quickly. And there is no such thing as a sure thing but that's just the dice you might have to roll. This is a pretty stale program right now.
Still a chance for some redemption if they beat OU and Baylor.

Salfrog

Tier 1
The DL coaching is just fine... DT talent is good for now... it's the DE talent that has caused pressure issues the past 2019/20 two seasons.

I like Fitch coaching the DT's, but the DE production has been on a decline since Bumpas retired. The coach responsible for that part of the line is Sharp. Bumpas definitely knew how to coach up and develop his DE's. Even turned a high school QB & RB into great DE's for us. Sharp isn't developing anyone.

Bumpas coached the DLine, not just the interior or the ends, the whole line. Would think we could find 1 very good coach to do the same thing intead of using 2 coaches to coach one position. We might be able to use that extra coaching slot to maybe, I don't know, get an actual Special Teams coach.

Last edited:

Wexahu

I like Fitch coaching the DT's, but the DE production has been on a decline since Bumpus retired. The coach responsible for that part of the line is Sharp. Bumpus definitely knew how to coach up and develop his DE's. Even turned a high school QB & RB into great DE's for us. Sharp isn't developing anyone.

Bumpus coached the DLine, not just the interior or the ends, the whole line. Would think we could find 1 very good coach to do the same thing intead of using 2 coaches to coach one position. We might be able to use that extra coaching slot to maybe, I don't know, get an actual Special Teams coach.

??? Banogu, Collier, Carraway, the white kid with long hair.....the problem at DE has been recruiting these last few years. I think for the most part Sharp has done well.

Salfrog

Tier 1
??? Banogu, Collier, Carraway, the white kid with long hair.....the problem at DE has been recruiting these last few years. I think for the most part Sharp has done well.

You are right about Banogu and Boesen. Carraway and Collier were here when Bumpas was here. Granted Collier was a Freshmen Bumpas's last year here. He was still taught by him initially.

My main point is I believe one very good coach can coach the entire DLine. Bumpas did it, as did Bailiff before him. Just like one very good coach can coach the entire OLine. I don't know many teams that have 2 DLine or 2 OLine coaches, not that we have 2 OLine coaches, again just making a point. It just seems like a waste of a coaching slot that could be used somewhere else on the team.

It just seems to me it's just another way for GP to create spots on his staff for his "YES Sir" buddies.

PurpleFrogger

I don't know if he will be let go. This team could start winning just enough and with COVID and limited attendance, I don't know how the athletic department is doing.

Will they want to fire him and hire someone else? When is his contract up and what is the buyout? Lot of moving parts.