• The KillerFrogs

If you could choose a new offensive scheme...

4 Oaks Frog

one with an identify and for me that starts with a down hill run game and a pass attack that works down the field

closest would be what we have seen from ou when they had baker and if gary loaded against the run they tore up the secondary. when the frogs dropped for the pass the sooners ran until the world looked level

i would want an offense that works match ups and uses the talent you have not forces talent in a scheissed up system

what i find interesting is supposedly gary first hired sonny and doug because of the issues he had against that offense, but lincoln has owned him lately and yet we don't get the offense when we have a chance to readjust

I like, but first we MUST get an OL the isn’t so slow that they can’t get out of their own way. If we pull a guard for the RB to follow, the RB gets to the hole (or lack there of) before the guard does. I am sorry, but we don’t need to worry about scheme until we have an OL that can play it. And that’s nothing about the quality of these fine young men. I know they are wonderful people, but G damit they are just pitifully slow. There can’t react quickly enough to a pass rush either. Is there perhaps some fast reserve DL men riding the pines that GMFP could convert to the OL? He is great at converting offensive kids to defense. Could he make it go the other way?
GO FROGS!
BEAT SOMEBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok baylor!!

KTown Frog

3 wide, tightend should be the base offense with 4 wide occasionally. When your best run play is jet sweep or QB running for his life, that’s not good. Hard to establish the run when you don’t actually try to establish the run. Watching the past 3 games (and previous years) we abandon the run too quick. It’s like if we get stuffed one drive trying to establish the run, we give up on it the next few drives.

Chongo94

3 wide, tightend should be the base offense with 4 wide occasionally. When your best run play is jet sweep or QB running for his life, that’s not good. Hard to establish the run when you don’t actually try to establish the run. Watching the past 3 games (and previous years) we abandon the run too quick. It’s like if we get stuffed one drive trying to establish the run, we give up on it the next few drives.

Completely agree. I posted in some other thread regarding GP’s quote about “we have to be able to run the ball.” Well, we were, we had two running backs averaging over 6 yards a carry for a time there. It’s not that we couldn’t run the ball, it’s that we chose not to.

Eight

I don't love the scheme but I don't have a problem with it either. In addition to the obvious of wanting better OL play (which we need in any scheme) then I'd just like to see a bigger emphasis on getting the ball to our 3-4 top playmakers as much as possible as opposed to trying to get touches for 12 different guys.

The RB position is of particular annoyance. I know we have a lot of good players there but at some point we need to just pick a couple and focus on getting them the carries.

We did a great job of emphasizing the playmakers in 14 and 15 and since then have not been able to figure it out for whatever reason.

agree completely on the running back rotation. no one that i can think of has effectively rotated 4-5 running backs especially in a single back formation, but in a way the manner in which the offensive staff has handled the running back rotation sums up the state of the frogs offense

oh, pumpkin sucks almost as much as our offensive line play

Uncle_Frog

I always liked the Chip Kelly offense at Oregon. Spread but more of a focus on the run.
Chip Kelly, Art Briless, OU with Riley, Bama with Kiffin as OC. Many of the best offenses in recent memory are up tempo spreads with a heavy doses of run.

We essentially ran this in 2014 and 2015 but GP slowed it down to protect his defensive stats. I’m not sure this offense works when burning the play clock down to 5 seconds every play. That kills momentum and gives the defense time to make substitutions and adjustments pre snap.

Wog68

Whatever offense we use, we need big uglies like Wisconsin has. Tough, smart, and fast. We need to go nationwide to find them and bring them to Fort Worth. Not sure we can get what we need recruiting only Louisiana and Texas.

Travis Trucks

I actually like our current scheme for the most part. What I don’t like is Max running for his life on every pass play.

That said given the choice I’d choose the art Briles offense.

There is a reason no one runs the Briles offense except a few teams, because defensive coordinators have caught up, and it exposes your defense.

UCF, Kent State and Syracuse are the only teams that still run it, and UCF just lost to Tulsa, Kent State is irrelevant and Syracuse is maybe the worst team in the ACC.

Same with the Chip Kelly offense. No one runs it anymore - defensive coordinators figured it out and all it does is leave your defense open to being on the field for too many snaps.

Get real, people.

Paul in uhh

There is a reason no one runs the Briles offense except a few teams, because defensive coordinators have caught up, and it exposes your defense.

UCF, Kent State and Syracuse are the only teams that still run it, and UCF just lost to Tulsa, Kent State is irrelevant and Syracuse is maybe the worst team in the ACC.

Same with the Chip Kelly offense. No one runs it anymore - defensive coordinators figured it out and all it does is leave your defense open to being on the field for too many snaps.

Get real, people.
Whoa, look at the big brains on Travis...

HickoryFlameFrog

Veer. We have the running backs and the receivers. Pls don’t tell me we haven’t the old line for this, as we don’t have the o-line to run any offense.

BubbaT

We could do well with Riley's scheme. Or even what Auburn does.

There is a reality that with the exception of the season the now SMU coach was here to hold their hand while scheming games, this offense has had issues going on 5 years now.
They already had a coach at TCU from Auburn and nothing he did worked. Apparently the Auburn offense isn’t working for them this either!

BubbaT

Well it seems like after reading all these post, most of y’all sound like a you know what your talking about and should quit your current job if you haven’t already been fired for being ignorant! If your smarting than the coaching staff TCU has now please apply by sending in your resume early before they hire someone else that you may like. If they are so bad then quit watching them and find something else to complain about! Y’all talking about these linemen not blocking, if they are holding their blocks for at least 3 to 5 seconds then they are doing their job! Sounds like the QB needs to get rid of the ball or take off running if he doesn’t see anyone open! Just shut up man!

Chongo94

Well it seems like after reading all these post, most of y’all sound like a you know what your talking about and should quit your current job if you haven’t already been fired for being ignorant! If your smarting than the coaching staff TCU has now please apply by sending in your resume early before they hire someone else that you may like. If they are so bad then quit watching them and find something else to complain about! Y’all talking about these linemen not blocking, if they are holding their blocks for at least 3 to 5 seconds then they are doing their job! Sounds like the QB needs to get rid of the ball or take off running if he doesn’t see anyone open! Just shut up man!

Profound.

dawg

A Clemson or Ohio State/Urban Meyer-style spread. But those offenses have one thing in common: an outstanding o-line run blocking scheme that lets them run the ball effectively.

Hell, I'd take anything remotely effective at this point. Single-wing, wishbone, pee wee "errbody get open"... anything.

Eight

beyond cliche'
They already had a coach at TCU from Auburn and nothing he did worked. Apparently the Auburn offense isn’t working for them this either!

he did recruit a fairly decent running back, won a a share of a swc conference title ending a 35 year or so drought so a few things he did worked for the program