• The KillerFrogs

LHCGP has a Leadership Problem

CountryFrog

So many experts with zero coaching experience.
Generally agree with this when it comes to fans thinking they know very specific and exact things that Gary and the staff need to do. From the outside you just can't make those determinations, not even if you're Urban Meyer or someone who actually is a coaching expert.

I will say, though, if what we saw yesterday ends up being the type of offense we see for most of the rest of the year then any and all criticism warranted, even if it may not be totally accurate. That would be 3 straight years of absolute [ Finebaum ]ty offensive play and specifically in the OL.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don’t have a sense for what he’d do or feel or say but I’ve thought for quite awhile now that we’ve ridden this program structure too long. Not to imply that we can’t have a good to very good year every now and then. And not to imply that we can’t be “competitive” in the Big 12. But I stand by the assertion that we aren’t in an elevating (or sustainable) mode and that it’s both a strategy and structure issue now.

I don’t listen to GPs pressers any more because I feel they make me dumber and more agitated (which is on me). But when has there been sincere talk about that pyramid thing? I didn’t like the “five years” to build a Big 12 program talk in 2012 and it seems to me that we’re just kicking the can and the administration is okay with that. Expectations should follow IMO
The Administration has shown a great deal of patience, as far as we know. Donati plays his cards very close to the vest, so we'll never really know what's going on.

We have a cloistered Coaching staff. Same faces, year in, year out. Except when guys retire, and they get replaced with somebody moving up, and then a former player comes in to take their place. There are no new ideas. No new methods. No new skills. Only the same old, same old.

The Air Raid was an attempt to break out of that. New Blood was brought in to implement it and, lo! In 2014 we witnessed a miracle! 2015 could have been greater, but injury killed it. From there on, it has been a stumble from one disaster to another. The talent seems to be there, but the utilization of that talent is lacking. Adherence to a system, rather than the talents of the players involved is ingrained. This adherence is recruited to, and used to pitch kids to come to TCU. "We've built it, y'all come!" Not every kid fits in the system. You don't always get the kids you want. You have to work with what you have, yet we can't seem to do that.

Our Coaching staff is acting more like a Cargo Cult than a group of instructors and innovators.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The Administration has shown a great deal of patience, as far as we know.

Our Coaching staff is acting more like a Cargo Cult than a group of instructors and innovators.

Here’s my radical suggestion, granted I never played a down and yes, I served 20 years in the military which I admit is not 100% applicable to football coaching.

If we end up not bowling this year, the day after, GP has coaching staff only meeting and request all their resignations to be submitted in writing by the next day. Anyone not submitting a resignation is fired. Then GP takes a week to evaluate all coaches, staff & analysts then decide which resignations he’ll accept & start interviewing replacements for those fired or resigned. Anyone fired/resigned gets 3 months pay/benefits for their transition. JD announces his full support of GPs actions.

Boomhauer

I just finished a weekend long examination for my Doctorate in Educational Leadership, and after today’s question, I kept thinking of LHCGP.

LHCGP has a Leadership problem, and it is a problem that begins and ends with him.

In the question I answered today, it was about a principal who managed this history department and had one of the assistants manage the English department. The history dept had amazing scores and the English had horrible scores. The principal would say things like: “I don’t manage that department.” Sound familiar?

LHCGP needs to do a few things as he coaches his coaches because that is the issue here. He does not coach the offense, but it doesn’t matter because it is HIS team. He needs to be the head coach right now. He needs to coach up Cumbie to grow as a coach. Challenge him and push him to be better, challenge the game plan, challenge the decisions, coach Cumbie to see his errors and learn from them, and finally, take responsibility for the performance of the offense as their performance is a reflection of his failures as a leader, specifically a head coach of a major college football team.

LHCGP needs to do the same with his D. He needs to give the reins over to a defensive coordinator and coach that person up.

In my question, the school fell because the leader was too caught up with the minutia of the details of a particular segment when he should have been seeing the overall trends of his team and creating a program.

When he does this is when we become a consistent program and avoid seasons like this.

I went to like this post and then noticed I’d already liked it. Which confused me then I noticed the date. Almost 2yrs ago. We are just living a football version of Groundhog Day season after season.

Kipster198

I went to like this post and then noticed I’d already liked it. Which confused me then I noticed the date. Almost 2yrs ago. We are just living a football version of Groundhog Day season after season.

I did the same thing; until about halfway down the first page when I saw a comment from Wes & it shook me back to 2020.

But, I agree on your sentiment- it's been an ongoing issue for years now.

Pharm Frog

The same.... So I went to find the ESPN hemorrhaging thread from years back to update with information that they are about to lay-off another big chunk of people. Didn’t find it

LeagueCityFrog

I think the thing I read is that we are a miracle fumble at the goal line away at UT from being 0-3 right now and the Big XII is down this season. We have two bad seasons in a row on the books. TCU has all the shiny toys, resources, campus, and town. That's why we are #3 in the Big XII in recruiting. If we would beat OU ever other year, we might be #1. Gary better fix this. There seems to be quite a crowd out now with the pitchforks and torches. Beating OU in two weeks will go a long way.

Paint It Purple

I just finished a weekend long examination for my Doctorate in Educational Leadership, and after today’s question, I kept thinking of LHCGP.

LHCGP has a Leadership problem, and it is a problem that begins and ends with him.

In the question I answered today, it was about a principal who managed this history department and had one of the assistants manage the English department. The history dept had amazing scores and the English had horrible scores. The principal would say things like: “I don’t manage that department.” Sound familiar?

LHCGP needs to do a few things as he coaches his coaches because that is the issue here. He does not coach the offense, but it doesn’t matter because it is HIS team. He needs to be the head coach right now. He needs to coach up Cumbie to grow as a coach. Challenge him and push him to be better, challenge the game plan, challenge the decisions, coach Cumbie to see his errors and learn from them, and finally, take responsibility for the performance of the offense as their performance is a reflection of his failures as a leader, specifically a head coach of a major college football team.

LHCGP needs to do the same with his D. He needs to give the reins over to a defensive coordinator and coach that person up.

In my question, the school fell because the leader was too caught up with the minutia of the details of a particular segment when he should have been seeing the overall trends of his team and creating a program.

When he does this is when we become a consistent program and avoid seasons like this.
Here’s why your entire post is not worth being taken seriously: Doctorate in Educational Leadership