• The KillerFrogs

If you could choose a new offensive scheme...

Chongo94

What would you choose?

You can be specific ie Iowa State’s, Alabama‘s, Ol’ Miss, etc... or just general ie one that only has perhaps two known running backs instead of 5 none of which appear to be a set starter, one that uses its TEs, slants, etc...

Last edited:
If we're not going to block anything, it doesn't matter. The scheme we're running may be solid or it may be crap but if the QB doesn't even have time to set his feet before getting hit, it's really difficult to get an honest evaluation on anything else. When the OL is this bad, it limits even what you can try to do. There are no schemes and no plays that don't require blocking.

Spike

Never understood why GP doesn't have an SEC style I formation offense to go w his defensive mindset. That said, much as I hated Briles I loved his scheme.

Wexahu

Pro style base offense with a few spread wrinkles

Generally, this.

More power running to set up play action, more use of the TE in the offense, ditch the wide splits along the line. Bootlegs, rollouts, etc. More game-planning to attack other teams tendencies.

We keep beating our heads against the wall trying to get this offense to work. It doesn't. It's been figured out. Soft 3-man front and flood the short and intermediate zones with LBs and DBs. We never counter with anything different. If you're a defense don't worry about the running game because we won't commit to it and even if we do the formation forces big slow lineman to zone block in space and then they just wait for a holding penalty or missed assignment.

Mean Purple

We could do well with Riley's scheme. Or even what Auburn does.

There is a reality that with the exception of the season the now SMU coach was here to hold their hand while scheming games, this offense has had issues going on 5 years now.

Eight

one with an identify and for me that starts with a down hill run game and a pass attack that works down the field

closest would be what we have seen from ou when they had baker and if gary loaded against the run they tore up the secondary. when the frogs dropped for the pass the sooners ran until the world looked level

i would want an offense that works match ups and uses the talent you have not forces talent in a scheissed up system

what i find interesting is supposedly gary first hired sonny and doug because of the issues he had against that offense, but lincoln has owned him lately and yet we don't get the offense when we have a chance to readjust

Wexahu

For those who thought The Pirate was going to show the SEC how 21st century offensive football is played, over the last two games MSU has attempted 129 passes, handed the ball off 29 times, scored a total of 14 points, and thrown for 9 interceptions.....against Arkansas and Kentucky. 588 total passing yards on 129 attempts. Now THAT had to painful to watch.

The Air Raid was neat 15 years ago. Now it just sucks.

CountryFrog

I don't love the scheme but I don't have a problem with it either. In addition to the obvious of wanting better OL play (which we need in any scheme) then I'd just like to see a bigger emphasis on getting the ball to our 3-4 top playmakers as much as possible as opposed to trying to get touches for 12 different guys.

The RB position is of particular annoyance. I know we have a lot of good players there but at some point we need to just pick a couple and focus on getting them the carries.

We did a great job of emphasizing the playmakers in 14 and 15 and since then have not been able to figure it out for whatever reason.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I actually like our current scheme for the most part. What I don’t like is Max running for his life on every pass play.

That said given the choice I’d choose the art Briles offense.
Warden Art ran the old Run and Shoot, and one of it's main tenets was a mesh with the RB on each snap. By doing this, you kept the defense semi-honest, and allowed for a quick draw when they sold out on the pass.

Going 5-wide does nothing but send poor Max to the whirlpool.