• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: KState vs. TCU

Mean Purple

We really won't be good again until/unless GP cleans house on the offensive side of the ball. I have a really hard time believing we can't find coaches that can recruit AND coach...
A. Yes, offensive coaching is bad.
B. Does anybody buy that it is not Cumbie calling the scheme?
C. Maybe let Meach amd Cumbie call what they know, air raid, and stay out of their way and see if it works.

Mean Purple

I seriously wonder if we game plan offensively for each team we play, or if we just practice "what we do" (which I have yet to ascertain) and go out and try to do it regardless of who we play. It really seems as if we don't identify and exploit other teams' weaknesses. It also doesn't seem as if we recognize what our teams strengths are and rely on those. Am I tripping?
Seems possible.

LisaLT

Its frustrating when your team is underperforming - and not necessarily due to the talent level but more about not being put in positions to succeed. The coaching staff has so far failed the offense and not utilized the strengths of its key players. You have a great set of RBs but they seem to disappear in the second half. WTH especially with Downing in. Don’t get it and ready for a tequila now.

Wexahu

I seriously wonder if we game plan offensively for each team we play, or if we just practice "what we do" (which I have yet to ascertain) and go out and try to do it regardless of who we play. It really seems as if we don't identify and exploit other teams' weaknesses. It also doesn't seem as if we recognize what our teams strengths are and rely on those. Am I tripping?

It’s obvious that our opponents scout our defense and pick spots to exploit certain holes in it. It’s much less obvious that we do that to other teams. Almost everything about this offense makes little sense to me,I’d love to be able to listen in on their strategy meetings to find out what we are trying to do.

Wexahu

Its frustrating when your team is underperforming - and not necessarily due to the talent level but more about not being put in positions to succeed. The coaching staff has so far failed the offense and not utilized the strengths of its key players. You have a great set of RBs but they seem to disappear in the second half. WTH especially with Downing in. Don’t get it and ready for a tequila now.

Barlow starts and breaks off a couple nice runs. Then disappears for a couple quarters. Miller all the sudden starts playing in the fourth quarter. Foster is kind of in every now and then. Evans gets part of one series. Why to all of that, what is the strategy, what is the plan? Are we trying to win games or distribute playing time evenly? Is this little league?

I like all the running backs. Hell, Miller might even look the best. I’d just like to know what the hell we’re doing with them because I can’t figure it out.

Atomic Frawg

This even goes back to last year. Last year we had a senior running back corps, with an experienced offensive line. We also had a quarterback who was either going to be a run-first quarterback, or a true freshman. You would think that with so many NFL calibre players on offense that we would be run-first, with scattered play action and over the top routes. Instead we tried to be a pass oriented team, and instead of adjusting over the course of the season, we doubled down.

It seems we're doing the same thing. We have a talented running back corps, and the offensive line clearly does not pass block well. However they have shown that they can at least run block. Yet week after week we try to be a pass first offense. If we are better at running the ball, then we should run the ball. That is what sets up play action passes. If the offensive line does not pass block well, then you have more plays like Tech does that are shallow crossing routes accompanied by fades with taller, athletic receivers on the outside. The quarterback run should only be used to keep the defenses honest. Max can be the leading rusher on the team if he breaks significant runs, but he should not have more carries than the running backs. Nor should he even be close.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Barlow starts and breaks off a couple nice runs. Then disappears for a couple quarters. Miller all the sudden starts playing in the fourth quarter. Foster is kind of in every now and then. Evans gets part of one series. Why to all of that, what is the strategy, what is the plan? Are we trying to win games or distribute playing time evenly? Is this little league?

I like all the running backs. Hell, Miller might even look the best. I’d just like to know what the hell we’re doing with them because I can’t figure it out.

It’s maddening!

Mean Purple

I left to get some beverages...was there a recap of the post game press notes?
On the radio with Brian, GP mentioned that with AW out, he had to call less defense. Mentioned the young players. That the team has to make plays and that ... it was just a few plays that got the Frogs beat. So, basically, what we have heard on those for a while. The "young guys" has now been modified with "just a few plays".

Mean Purple

I won’t say a lot but the only thing I can say is this: I have firsthand knowledge of Anderson as an OLine coach and he is a good guy but not a good OLine coach. We HAVE to at least tie in the trenches to have an effective offense and we are getting dominated there
The lack of pass protection is shocking. Did not expect that coming into the year.

Mean Purple

yeah, the personnel thing is insane.

Mean Purple

This even goes back to last year. Last year we had a senior running back corps, with an experienced offensive line. We also had a quarterback who was either going to be a run-first quarterback, or a true freshman. You would think that with so many NFL calibre players on offense that we would be run-first, with scattered play action and over the top routes. Instead we tried to be a pass oriented team, and instead of adjusting over the course of the season, we doubled down.

It seems we're doing the same thing. We have a talented running back corps, and the offensive line clearly does not pass block well. However they have shown that they can at least run block. Yet week after week we try to be a pass first offense. If we are better at running the ball, then we should run the ball. That is what sets up play action passes. If the offensive line does not pass block well, then you have more plays like Tech does that are shallow crossing routes accompanied by fades with taller, athletic receivers on the outside. The quarterback run should only be used to keep the defenses honest. Max can be the leading rusher on the team if he breaks significant runs, but he should not have more carries than the running backs. Nor should he even be close.

The run first scheme would probably increase our chances in the red zone. Our red zone inability is almost comical.