• The KillerFrogs

Baylor fined $462,000

JogginFrog

There's a note deep in that story about the Texas Rangers referring questions about their criminal investigation to McClennan County DA Barry Johnson. I thought the Rangers' investigation related to obstruction of justice--including the potential complicity of county officials. Why would they refer questions to the DA's office?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
you must be wearing sweat equity's pants

I wish that was pocket change to me, I’d have Lear instead twin Bonanza to fly to The Fort on Friday’s in the fall.
That’s a joke!

I was referring more to some rich Baylor shill like Drayton McClane who’d be happy to bail them out.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There's a note deep in that story about the Texas Rangers referring questions about their criminal investigation to McClennan County DA Barry Johnson. I thought the Rangers' investigation related to obstruction of justice--including the potential complicity of county officials. Why would they refer questions to the DA's office?
Indeed. The Rangers are a State organization, generally called in when there's Government linked chicanery afoot. And McLennan County is the Land Of The Not Quite Right in legal terms, so...

I would imagine that the Rangers would make a report to the McLennan County D.A. as a courtesy.

TCUdirtbag

The arbitrary enforcement of Clery misreporting is absurd. The fine for under-reporting is the same per violation as an over-reported incident. The most common misreported Clery reportable incident is an on-campus alcohol violation. The department typically settles the misreporting for some random dollar amount. There is little consistency across institutions. Berkeley just got blasted and I’ve heard of several southern and southeastern schools who have self reported and the department looked the other way.

Honestly, don’t expect anything big out of the current ED Office for Civil Rights leadership with regard to Baylor. The political appointees at the helm are much more interested in fining and penalizing the liberal Berkeleys and Yales than conservative Libertys and Baylors.

HG73

They fined Michigan State and Penn State $4.5mil and baylor $10% of that? It's like baylor paid their late fee. Or the sales tax. Sheesh.

BrewingFrog

Honestly, don’t expect anything big out of the current ED Office for Civil Rights leadership with regard to Baylor. The political appointees at the helm are much more interested in fining and penalizing the liberal Berkeleys and Yales than conservative Libertys and Baylors.
That's horsecrap and you know it.

This whole rape coverup and scandal happened under the stinking Obama and his merry band of Marxists. At no time did any of those foul leftists bother to lift a damned finger to help women who were being run out of the school they were playing for on scholarship because they were raped, beaten or abused by some scumbag brought in by Warden Art. All the while strutting about claiming they were all for women, and women's rights, and fighting abuse, and blah, blah, blah...

You know this to be the case, and yet you lie, just so you can get in a dig at the President, Bill Barr and Betsy DeVos. Had the previous Administration done a single damned thing, Rape U. might be having a fire sale and boarding up their Campus right about now. But, they didn't do anything. At all. Nothing. They turned a blind eye on it, and the wheels began turning without them.

TCUdirtbag

That's horsecrap and you know it.

This whole rape coverup and scandal happened under the stinking Obama and his merry band of Marxists. At no time did any of those foul leftists bother to lift a damned finger to help women who were being run out of the school they were playing for on scholarship because they were raped, beaten or abused by some scumbag brought in by Warden Art. All the while strutting about claiming they were all for women, and women's rights, and fighting abuse, and blah, blah, blah...

You know this to be the case, and yet you lie, just so you can get in a dig at the President, Bill Barr and Betsy DeVos. Had the previous Administration done a single damned thing, Rape U. might be having a fire sale and boarding up their Campus right about now. But, they didn't do anything. At all. Nothing. They turned a blind eye on it, and the wheels began turning without them.

Look, as someone who works with and on OCR issues, I’m just telling you how it is. I’m not on a political soapbox. And FYI the vast majority of OCR employees are non-partisan career officials with enormous workloads. I doubt you have the faintest clue what OCR is/does. Much less how their role fits into the Baylor scandal. You’re just looking for a reason to throw a fit and picked something you know nothing about.

This particular issue is simply about Clery (mis)reporting. Up to $58k per offense. These almost always settle.

The broader OCR investigation is a separate deal. The political appointees’ current enforcement priorities do not align with TCU fans’ hope to see the hammer swing down hard on Baylor.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Look, as someone who works with and on OCR issues, I’m just telling you how it is. I’m not on a political soapbox. And FYI the vast majority of OCR employees are non-partisan career officials with enormous workloads. I doubt you have the faintest clue what OCR is/does. Much less how their role fits into the Baylor scandal. You’re just looking for a reason to throw a fit and picked something you know nothing about.
"I’m not on a political soapbox." Yes, you are. Your entire premise was utterly crap. And again, you know it.

To repeat, the onus was on the stinking Obama people. By their actions, they evidently could have cared less about the plight of the kids who were molested and then shat upon by Rape U. It was their call and they twiddled their thumbs. For you to come along long after the fact and bleat out some crap that, "Oh, it's the nasty Trump people who won't do anything." is galling in the extreme. Oh, and then hide behind, "Oh, you don't know what you're talking about!" GMAFB.

I am directing my ire at you specifically for whupping out a limp and lame line of dribbling crap that political appointees are sabotaging the proper delivery of justice upon the foul hive in Waco. And you're right, I don't know a single thing about some arcane bureaucracy that probably ought to be plowed under by a phalanx of D-9 bulldozers to the mourning of no one at all. In fact, I don't give a dribbling crap. What I do know is that a University conspired to bring in head-cases known to be violent, and then further conspired to both persecute the inevitable victims of these monsters, and to cover up their crimes. All for the purpose of winning football games. No one in the relevant positions of authority in the 1.) Federal Government, 2.) State Government, or 3.) Local Government, did a single damned thing to either help those girls, or bring the evildoers to justice. This came to light in September of 2015.

Last I looked, the Evil Orange Oompa-Loompa didn't take the Oath of Office until late January of 2017. And he inherited a hive of scumbags infesting all branches of the Administration that he still hasn't cleaned out. From the time the Media discovery of the rapes and cover-up was a year and a half. A year and a half. And they did nothing. Nothing. And all of those holdovers are still employed. In the same places they were in 2015. And they are still doing the nothing (or next to it) that they have done from the very beginning.

Pharm Frog

actually a really good question in my mind and at least two of us are curious about what happens to fine money

When a pharmaceutical company is fined it depends on whether the fine was criminal or civil but to generalize the situation: the fines (if collected) go into the treasury for re-distribution. There’s a 19C law that mandates this to avoid over-zealous investigations and punishments to enrich departmental budgets. You can see some payouts to whistleblowers (relators) and Crime Victim Fund (criminal fines) but the whole situation is very murky and low to no accountability or transparency (no surprise)