• The KillerFrogs

Wide Receiver sweeps??!!

bleedpurple

Not sure I understand some of the play calling.

We have one of the best, most talented and strong RB corps' in the nation and we run a WIDE RECEIVER sweep from the 1 yard line? Or we throw a Wide Receiver screen from the 1 yard line?!

Gary...........

we wearing skirts now?!

By controlling the Time of Possession and total number of Offensive plays, we kept our Defense fresher and kept Ehlinger off the field. We ran 80 plays they only ran 60!!!
And this TCU O-Line is way better at RUN BLOCKING than it is at Pass blocking.

RUN THE BALL!!!!!
Do you understand how fast skye Dawson is?

Eight

Your math is different than mine. WR's had 5 rushing attempts which I don't consider excessive. Also RB's averaged 4.45 net YDS per carry, which is closer to 4 than 5.
But my real point was the last couple of seasons running the ball up the middle on 3rd and short has not been as high a percentage play as it should be given our OL's inability to move the Defense back and prevent penetration. I have yet to see anything this season so far which makes me think differently. I would love to be wrong

the number of the backs gets skewed a bit because the bulk of fosters carries against texas were on the fly sweep.

miller, barlow, and demarcado are at 5.2 a carry in the downfield run game and darwin showed he has the strength to move the pile on the short td run early in the game

a great deal of this is mindset and if you want to have a physical run game you have to call those plays, you have to tell the offensive line you have the confidence in them that they can move people, and they have shown flashes, but as soon as the frogs have gotten something started they go away from it and not even build on it.

is this going to be a finesse offense or one with a physical run game because at the end of the day you aren't going to both.

Punter1

Not sure I understand some of the play calling.

We have one of the best, most talented and strong RB corps' in the nation and we run a WIDE RECEIVER sweep from the 1 yard line? Or we throw a Wide Receiver screen from the 1 yard line?!

Gary...........

we wearing skirts now?!

By controlling the Time of Possession and total number of Offensive plays, we kept our Defense fresher and kept Ehlinger off the field. We ran 80 plays they only ran 60!!!
And this TCU O-Line is way better at RUN BLOCKING than it is at Pass blocking.

RUN THE BALL!!!!!

We did bro....50 to 30. That's unheard of in today's game.

So....one of the reasons why that QB draw that won the game was so successful was the fact that the LBs were cheating outside waiting for the WR sweeps. We set that play up PERFECTLY. And if I recall correctly...the 3rd and 7 run that picked up 8 yards and allowed us to run out the clock was a WR sweep.

Ive been as critical as anyone on this board since 1998 about the (bad) play calling when I feel its subpar....but we called an AWESOME game on Saturday and fully utilized our talented skill guys AND minimized a weak pass protecting OL.

TRF51

They run variations of that play, sometimes they hand it to the backs, sometimes they give it to the WRs, and sometimes Max keeps it and throw off it. It creates deception and is actually a good scheme.

4th. down

That could be part of the problem. Sometimes when running in a straight line, we only go the shortest distance..

Perhaps longer runs are accomplished by not running in a straight line.

So true, but when you only need 1 yard, well you understand the math/geometry don't you?

namollec

So true, but when you only need 1 yard, well you understand the math/geometry don't you?

Of course. The math / geometry is easy.

What becomes difficult is when that math must face strong opposition on the field.
Then, other answers must be postulated to obtain that one yard.

4th. down

Of course. The math / geometry is easy.

What becomes difficult is when that math must face strong opposition on the field.
Then, other answers must be postulated to obtain that one yard.

YES, and therein lies our big Red Zone problem....goal line offense. With Harris at left guard, run right behind him with Miller or Foster......none of that Sewo running wide stuff and getting dropped for a loss and another field goal and would prefer Max under center for that play.

2themax

Red zone offense starts with the big boys.
Got to get better at the run in tight spaces(short yardage).
K State looks as if they have a decent run defense.
Gonna be interesting Saturday.