• The KillerFrogs

Without Cumbie calling plays....

Casey T

Bama’s OL coach made $650K last year. How great would it be for a tcu booster to make a donation that allows us to money whip an elite OL coach to our team for $800K per year... one can dream

Eight

Bama’s OL coach made $650K last year. How great would it be for a tcu booster to make a donation that allows us to money whip an elite OL coach to our team for $800K per year... one can dream

total bama staff of assistants is either just over or under 7.5M and i mention that because the issue isn't what you pay him, but how that impacts all the other members of the staff.

this is from a tuscaloosa news article:

"Here is the breakdown of Alabama’s assistant salaries: Sarkisian ($1.550,000), defensive coordinator Pete Golding ($1,100,000), safties coach Charles Kelly ($800,000), defensive line coach Brian Baker ($750,000), offensive line coach Kyle Flood ($650,000), outside linebackers coach Sal Sunseri ($650,000), special teams/ tight ends coach Jeff Banks ($541,277), running backs coach Charles Huff ($525,000), defensive backs coach Karl Scott ($525,000), and receivers coach Holmon Wiggins ($450,000)."

sure if sweatequity wants to front the athletic department a few million a year gary could go shopping if he truly wanted to make that type of change

ticketfrog123

total bama staff of assistants is either just over or under 7.5M and i mention that because the issue isn't what you pay him, but how that impacts all the other members of the staff.

this is from a tuscaloosa news article:

"Here is the breakdown of Alabama’s assistant salaries: Sarkisian ($1.550,000), defensive coordinator Pete Golding ($1,100,000), safties coach Charles Kelly ($800,000), defensive line coach Brian Baker ($750,000), offensive line coach Kyle Flood ($650,000), outside linebackers coach Sal Sunseri ($650,000), special teams/ tight ends coach Jeff Banks ($541,277), running backs coach Charles Huff ($525,000), defensive backs coach Karl Scott ($525,000), and receivers coach Holmon Wiggins ($450,000)."

sure if sweatequity wants to front the athletic department a few million a year gary could go shopping if he truly wanted to make that type of change

our coaching pay is top 30 for assistants last I heard. Really shouldn’t be too hard to get a good OL coach given DFW location and pay

Froggish

Its not bagging on Sonny to say he's not a good play caller. He does other things well and brings a lot to the table but play calling is its own animal and not everyone is good at stringing plays together. He wasn't good at it but I guess he'd out recruit Meacham in a heartbeat. They are better together than apart and together they make a pretty damn salty duo. The truth is I wouldn't want either of them if I couldn't have the other.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
With a name like Kill, we all must be very careful with our punctuation. Otherwise Meach and Sonny are deceased.
Some here questioned whether the Red Zone play calling didn't qualify a certain coach as brain dead already. However, the EMTs did find a faint pulse, so the jury's still out.

Tumbleweed

We definitely have had other issues, mainly O & D lines, and receivers, but name one QB that Cumbie has developed since he has been here? Our QB play has been atrocious since he has been here other than Boykin, and KHill's senior year.

He is the QB coach, and it's his job to develop those players. Plus being the OC, it is also his job to put his QB's in the best position to win, and to game plan to their strengths. He has yet to prove that he can do either.

He seems to be is a good recruiter and great guy, but we have other "good recruiters" that don't seem to be able to coach their positions on the field. Give me a coach that can develop players, and/or game plan around his players strengths over a good recruiter. That is what made GP's teams successful in the past.

Mostly what you said is correct. Sonny is a fine man and if you really got the opportunity to be around him, you would agree. Because of Sonny's personality (a good one) he is an excellent role model for these kids. He has been hampered by decisions made at a higher level. There's not a lot you can do about that. But JK can look GP in the face and tell him that's not a good thing. I like our arrangement now. Agree with me if you want, but hiring Jerry Kill was a very good decision besides he's got a marvelous sense of humor. You can imagine at 18 or 19 years old how unsettling it can be with a constant grip. Kill on the other hand can be a bit crazy, smiling, joking around but he can get your attention in seconds. No, a good hire and I think you can thank Kelsey for that.