• The KillerFrogs

Without Cumbie calling plays....

JugbandFrog

I suspect Max's improvement has as much, if not more, to do with Meacham's structure of the offense than any instruction Cumbie suddenly decided to provide. We are seeing way less of the receivers running the wrong route and far fewer plays that were the wrong call against the defensive alignment and personnel.
I like thE WR blocking on the outside. Much improved as well.

Salfrog

Tier 1
I don’t think Cumbie is to blame for our previous woes. He is a tremendous recruiter and had a true freshman QB last year. He is not responsible for all the insane injuries or transfers at QB. We needed Meachum back for sure, they make a great team. Kill is a tremendous bonus.

I will admit I am bias because Sonny is a friend and really great guy. Word from him this Spring was Max would be a different QB and a bad arse.

We definitely have had other issues, mainly O & D lines, and receivers, but name one QB that Cumbie has developed since he has been here? Our QB play has been atrocious since he has been here other than Boykin, and KHill's senior year.

He is the QB coach, and it's his job to develop those players. Plus being the OC, it is also his job to put his QB's in the best position to win, and to game plan to their strengths. He has yet to prove that he can do either.

He seems to be is a good recruiter and great guy, but we have other "good recruiters" that don't seem to be able to coach their positions on the field. Give me a coach that can develop players, and/or game plan around his players strengths over a good recruiter. That is what made GP's teams successful in the past.

HG73

We definitely have had other issues, mainly O & D lines, and receivers, but name one QB that Cumbie has developed since he has been here? Our QB play has been atrocious since he has been here other than Boykin, and KHill's senior year.

He is the QB coach, and it's his job to develop those players. Plus being the OC, it is also his job to put his QB's in the best position to win, and to game plan to their strengths. He has yet to prove that he can do either.

He seems to be is a good recruiter and great guy, but we have other "good recruiters" that don't seem to be able to coach their positions on the field. Give me a coach that can develop players, and/or game plan around his players strengths over a good recruiter. That is what made GP's teams successful in the past.
Not to be disagreeable, but he developed Boykin and Kenny Hill. And nobody was going to develop SR.

Just my opinion, Kill has already contributed a ton and Meach is the guy for our sideline. But Sonny has done pretty well with what was available and talk of firing him is absolutely insane. Kill, Meach and Sonny together may be unstoppable.

Tumbleweed

With as many people helping out with the offensive play calling, that that meeting room must look like a small convention.. Overall, it's evident the offensive play calling has improved. Q: did someone read or hear Sonny is no longer calling game day? Max is only going to get better..! We saw yesterday his talent has improved but my heart dances when I think what could do as a senior.. Myohmy!!!
BTW..that kid Kell, another Myohmy. He is one not many teams we play will match up with. He shows Great promise! Recvers ...also greatly improved! Our def line was gassed at times and it showed. GP has to address that immediately. Boy, we package ourselves to death with all of the personnel changes during games. OU will beat the immensely entitled T-sips. And, did I hear the booth boys say, when finished, the UT house will seat the fifth largest stadium crowd in the world>>??? That is aggressive..marketing which makes me say, they will have to hire a Big..Big name coach who can fill that stadium evry Saturday. Do you think UT might be thinking down the road to a super, super conference one day?
Great win boys! SURE helps our confidence in the locker room and it helps this board too. KS won't be easy Sat.

Eight

With as many people helping out with the offensive play calling, that that meeting room must look like a small convention.. Overall, it's evident the offensive play calling has improved. Q: did someone read or hear Sonny is no longer calling game day? Max is only going to get better..! We saw yesterday his talent has improved but my heart dances when I think what could do as a senior.. Myohmy!!!
BTW..that kid Kell, another Myohmy. He is one not many teams we play will match up with. He shows Great promise! Recvers ...also greatly improved! Our def line was gassed at times and it showed. GP has to address that immediately. Boy, we package ourselves to death with all of the personnel changes during games. OU will beat the immensely entitled T-sips. And, did I hear the booth boys say, when finished, the UT house will seat the fifth largest stadium crowd in the world>>??? That is aggressive..marketing which makes me say, they will have to hire a Big..Big name coach who can fill that stadium evry Saturday. Do you think UT might be thinking down the road to a super, super conference one day?
Great win boys! SURE helps our confidence in the locker room and it helps this board too. KS won't be easy Sat.

agree with much of this and i think there is great potential with the offense if they can work out the issues in the offensive line, build on the success in the down hill run game to be more physical and consistent, and start more a few of those receivers.

Endless Purple

Tired of the knocking on Cumbie. He has a lot to offer, but as mentioned, the team effect has a huge impact Cumbie and Meachum together seems to work on the field at least. Do not know what Kill's impact is yet. There are many coaches that don't always translate well to other situations. See it all the time with coaches transferring for a supposedly better gig when it is often more than just one coach that makes success.

Eight

Tired of the knocking on Cumbie. He has a lot to offer, but as mentioned, the team effect has a huge impact Cumbie and Meachum together seems to work on the field at least. Do not know what Kill's impact is yet. There are many coaches that don't always translate well to other situations. See it all the time with coaches transferring for a supposedly better gig when it is often more than just one coach that makes success.

great points. the work relationship of sonny and doug might appear from the outside to be dysfunctional, but working together they seem to be better off than apart

the story of max''s of finding the heart problem, the procedure, the recovery, and his level of play has to be one of the top stories in the country, but even if everything is well up to the season did anyone expect this level of improvement from max in throwing the ball and handling the the offense?

sonny has to be given some credit for the strides max has made from last year to this one

Moose Stuff

It was public knowledge that SC wasn't calling plays anymore back in the early spring. It amazes me so many people missed that.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Not to be disagreeable, but he developed Boykin and Kenny Hill. And nobody was going to develop SR.

Just my opinion, Kill has already contributed a ton and Meach is the guy for our sideline. But Sonny has done pretty well with what was available and talk of firing him is absolutely insane. Kill, Meach and Sonny together may be unstoppable.

We can agree to disagree. Boykin already had the talent, but we were running an offense his freshman & sophomore year that he wasn't suited for. In comes Meacham & Cymbie to bring in an offense that catered to his abilities perfectly. Might say, the perfect system for him.

Now again, KHill had plenty of talent also, but was being forced to play a system that didn't suit his abilities. Plus an Oline that did him no favors. Enter his senior year. Meach was fired because he only knew one speed of offense. In come Sonny Dykes that saw what KHill was best at, and simplified & designed an offense that better suited his strengths & talents. End result, KHill has an outstanding year compared to his junior year.

Now we are here this year. Duggan had plenty of talent & a very good arm. Duggan didn't look like the QB we had been hearing about, granted he was also a true freshman and was sitting behind a KState reject for some stupid reason that slowed his development a bit longer. He was erratic most of the season, and again his Oline didn't help him out at all. As did most of his receivers with all of the dropped passes. Now Kill & Meach come in and figure out an offense that better highlights Duggan's athleticism. His Oline is still getting him beaten up, but there are more designed plays to get the ball out quicker, and his WR's are actually catching the ball now.

I have yet to see anything that Cumbie has shown by himself as the OC & QB coach that points to the fact that he developed any of these 3 QB's. It has taken someone else to be here to help him with the offense because he hasn't been able to do it. You would think Cumbie being the OC in charge of coaching the QB's that he would have full knowledge of what his QB's strengths & weaknesses would be to build an offense & game plan those things, plus work with them on their weaknesses and develop them. He doesn't & hasn't once. It has taken someone else coming in to fix the offense that he hasn't been able to do on his own.

I'm just saying, Cumbie has yet to prove he is a good QB coach or OC. He has proven he is a very good recruiter and is a great person. Just not a developer of players, or an offense.

Last edited:

4th. down

World of difference having Meacham back. Great move by GP bringing him back! Max being a year older doesn’t hurt either - he’s looking allot better. Meach is the difference!

Meach and the receivers are running the correct routes and catching the ball. Got to protect Max, it's just a must, cannot win without him but with him, the sky is the limit. He's deadly if given time.

ShreveFrog

I thought that Meachum called a great game. That call to spread the entire offense for the run up the middle for the TD was brilliant.
Are you talking about Max's qb draw for the win late 4th? Coach P says Max checked to it. But at least the coaches give Max that latitude.

And I called it too when I saw on tv how the Horns lined up. It was wide arse open. Couldn't believe since Max has continuously burned Bevo on the run.