• The KillerFrogs

PSA: Suicide Prevention

Army Frog Fan

Less than two weeks ago, one of my West Point Classmates took his life after years of struggling with Depression, PTSD, and substance abuse. I learned that yesterday, another one of my classmates attempted to do the same.

This is a serious problem in our country and the events of 2020 have only made it worse. Just know that you are not alone. If you are having troubles, please seek help. Call a friend. PM someone on this board. Visit one of the agencies dedicated to helping, such as https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ or https://www.sprc.org/

Love each other.
Support each other.
Check in on each other.
Rinse and repeat.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming. BEAT navy!

tenor.gif

Wexahu

View attachment 7927 For those who have worn the uniform, you have put it all on the line to provide freedom. You have done it as a team. Make sure you continue to talk to and rely on your team. Your well being is important to a grateful nation.

Don't let the misconception that others may not care force you to carry the burden alone. Reach out. Ask for help. Visit https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

I agree, and I wish it was a hell of a lot easier for people to reach out when they need it. But unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to having severe depression (and especially when it gets to the point of having suicidal thoughts), and I'm not sure it easily goes away.

If you know by admitting something that it's going to negatively effect certain aspects of your life that are really important to you, do you admit it and look for help or just try and fight through it? Easier said than done.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I agree, and I wish it was a hell of a lot easier for people to reach out when they need it. But unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to having severe depression (and especially when it gets to the point of having suicidal thoughts), and I'm not sure it easily goes away.

If you know by admitting something that it's going to negatively effect certain aspects of your life that are really important to you, do you admit it and look for help or just try and fight through it? Easier said than done.

My last command was a joint assignment. My Army troops were the most stubborn about using Mental Health services. Concerned any visit for any reason would be career-ending.

It took a direct order from me to get them the help they needed.

Appears that same reluctance continues into their civilian lives.

Bob Sugar

Less than two weeks ago, one of my West Point Classmates took his life after years of struggling with Depression, PTSD, and substance abuse. I learned that yesterday, another one of my classmates attempted to do the same.

This is a serious problem in our country and the events of 2020 have only made it worse. Just know that you are not alone. If you are having troubles, please seek help. Call a friend. PM someone on this board. Visit one of the agencies dedicated to helping, such as https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ or https://www.sprc.org/

Love each other.
Support each other.
Check in on each other.
Rinse and repeat.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming. BEAT navy!

tenor.gif
Thanks for posting. I think this is great advice for anyone, military or not.

Wexahu

My last command was a joint assignment. My Army troops were the most stubborn about using Mental Health services. Concerned any visit for any reason would be career-ending.

It took a direct order from me to get them the help they needed.

Appears that same reluctance continues into their civilian lives.

It's not hard to understand why that is the case though, that's the point. It's just the reality of the situation. There is a benefit to getting help, and there is a societal cost to admitting you have a problem and going to see help. There just is, I don't think there's any denying it.

AroundWorldFrog

For you that may know any military or ex-military that may need help, this lady will drop what she is doing and find a local resource or person to help immediately including financial aid/mental health help. She is awesome, I have seen her help hundreds of vets. Tweet her or send her a DM. Probably one of the most selfless people I've ever seen.

Horny4TCU

At first I thought this thread was made as a joke, due to the potential loss to UT...

As someone that suffered with depression, it's hard to learn that suicide is never an option. Believe me, no matter how hard it seems, everything does get better. Please get help if you are struggling with those thoughts.

Pharm Frog

One of the worst days in my career was the day we were told no more outreach to MTFs and the VISNs. For a relatively brief amount of time I worked with psychiatric medicines and attending resources from Ft. Campbell to Ft Bliss and most in-between including Hood. Also the VAs including Waco. Hated having been pulled from those accounts. Much good work and so much work to be done.

Endless Purple

Also not limited to military, but one thing is for those that recognize it to reach out and not wait for them to ask for help. Such as the command above to order it. Someone showing they care enough to do something to help them can make a difference.

frogs9497

I lost 2 good friends to suicide my freshman year at TCU. Both left behind families who were completely devastated, families I knew well. At the time, it was difficult to understand why someone would choose that path. But about 15 years ago, I received a misdiagnosis and lived with it for about 6 months before we knew it was a misdiagnosis. I found myself during that 6-month period in depths of despair that I think few could ever imagine. I found no joy or interest in anything except sleep. I went from 210 lbs to 170 lbs. Rational thought and an ability to see a way forward were virtually impossible. It was easy to consider one of the obvious solutions (so it seemed) with total disregard to family and friends. You sometimes hear people say that suicide is a selfish act. But what I don't think those people understand is that the despair renders you with little or no ability to think rationally, little or no ability to care. But I was fortunate... I had support and a really good doctor (not the one who misdiagnosed me). And once I received the all-clear medically, the clouds lifted permanently. So I can easily empathize with those who are suffering. Like me, I hope that they can make it to the other side.

TCUWIN

I’ll say this, then save the rest of my comments for the game thread...
This thread represents why our spoiled athletes do not need to take a knee during the national anthem. We have men and women dying over seas and here at home while our athletes take a knee during the anthem. The anthem to me is in honor of the service men and women who have lost their lives defending our right to protest. So take your protest to the police stations. Leave the flag and the anthem for respecting our soldiers who fight for a nation that shows time and again that we don’t care about them...but we will take the freedom they gave us. I don’t disagree with the need to stop police brutality. But the anthem is not the time to fight that battle. Take it to the police station. Let them know you’re unhappy. Ok. That’s enough. Now, I just hope the Frogs fight tomorrow and don’t just take a knee.

HFrog1999

Sad to report it happened again. Actually more than once since I first posted this. My West Point class has lost more lives to suicide than to the War on Terror. Again, if you need help, please reach out to someone, anyone.

I’m so sorry to hear that. West Point Graduates are the Best of the Best. It’s terrible to think that so many are hurting so bad. I pray that you and your classmates receive the healing and support you need and deserve.

My high school team actually sent a couple of players to West Point and I spoke with a recruiter, of course I didn’t pursue it because I didn’t have the guts. TCU was much easier.

I have so much respect and appreciation for you all.