• The KillerFrogs

Utah threatening to join Big 12???

True, and maybe that is a big factor in the attractiveness of a school to a conference. I'm just speaking in terms of things fans usually associate with teams you'd want in a conference. Size of school, history and tradition of athletics at the school, overall fan interest, attendance, etc. I would guess in terms of total butts actually sitting in seats at games, we rank dead last in the conference in attendance in both football and basketball, but maybe that isn't all that important overall.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't understand why the conference leaders would be worried about our attendance at all when we more than pull our weight revenue wise. We have shown the ability to spend with the best of them, too, without asking for any subsidization. So there shouldn't be any worries about our commitment to staying relevant. Furthermore, to my knowledge, the conference doesn't share in ticket revenue, so we're the only ones losing out there.

I'm sure you could find a bunch of biased state school "fans" out there who'd argue that we should be replaced by someone who fills up the stadium, but the adults who make the decisions are looking at different metrics and a lot more information than them.

Also, from 1996 to 2010, Baylor was an absolute disaster in football and basketball. No bowls. No NCAA appearances. Their football attendance numbers were about 50% less than ours now. Yet they somehow survived the biggest re-alignment in college football history coming off those horrible years.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Yeah, but it creates huge scheduling imbalances. Teams like LSU having to play Florida and Auburn having to play Georgia every year while Missouri plays Arkansas and Ole Miss gets Vandy kinda stinks. Imagine being Auburn and having to play the SEC West + Georgia every year. I know things go in cycles and teams aren't always as good as they are now, but still, the odds of Georgia being a far better team than Kentucky or Vandy are very high.
LSU Florida is actually a long time tradition. Auburn and Georgia play every year because it their longest standing rival game. But I get your overall point.
Auburn Georgia is known as the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry. It's really an excuse to sit around with others who rightfully hate bama and drink. :)

Wexahu

LSU Florida is actually a long time tradition. Auburn and Georgia play every year because it their longest standing rival game. But I get your overall point.
Auburn Georgia is known as the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry. It's really an excuse to sit around with others who rightfully hate bama and drink. :)

I get it, but just hypothetically speaking, what if they did the same thing in the Big 12 and OU was considered our natural rival and Kansas was considered Baylor's....how do you think that would be received?

The Big 12 round robin is awesome.

Eight

Interesting report on the Bruins 24/7 site about a contentious vote in the Pac-12 CEO Meetings

"Among the disparate opinions were Utah apparently threatening to leave the conference for the Big 12 and USC threatening to go independent for the season."

wouldn't they need to be invited or are they planning on squatting

Mean Purple

I get it, but just hypothetically speaking, what if they did the same thing in the Big 12 and OU was considered our natural rival and Kansas was considered Baylor's....how do you think that would be received?

The Big 12 round robin is awesome.
I'm kinda 50/50 on it.

also, back to hating on bama. :)
( I have to do this now, not sure how this year's iron bowl will go.)

Endless Purple

I much prefer 12 to 14. 14 is basically two separate conferences, when it can be 5-6 years before teams play each other in football, that's not really a conference.

I prefer 10 over 12 though. Round robin scheduling is great. I just wish we could trade WVU for someone, nothing against WVU but they don't belong in the Big 12.

14 teams would be everyone every 2 or 3 years., but I agree the full round robin is preferable to me too. I just don't see it with the trend to larger conferences.

Example conference with rough east/west split. All the teams right down the middle could go either way: (1 permanent crossover side by side)

WEST EAST
Texas - Oklahoma
Texas Tech - Baylor
Utah - TCU
Arizona - WVU
Arizona St - Iowa St
Kansas St - Oklahoma St
Kansas - Memphis / Pitt/ other... (Memphis has been doing well through multiple coaches now)

Rotate the other 6 teams with 2 games, and you play every team at least once every 3 years. (3 OOC)
Rotate the other 6 teams with 3 games, and you play every team at least once every 2 years (2 OOC)

Personally, I think TCU would fit better in the west, but I think it would have to have an even split of state of Texas teams for exposure and recruiting.

Edit: So much for adding spaces to align colu

Last edited:

Eight

Mizzou won their conference in the SEC I believe and Nebraska was always in the Big 12 title game.

always? no..... in the 11 seasons nebraska was in the big 12 they won the north 4 times, colorado played 4 times, and ksu played 3 times.

nebraska did represent the north 3 of the first 4 seasons, but only 1 on the last 7

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Utah, Colorado, The AZ twins are all good candidates. It is the ease of travel which makes this so. Nice, big airports, lots of direct flights. A helluva lot easier than Pullman, WA.
Pullman kicks ass. I’d love to have a reason to visit that part of the country every other year. Would have been even better if Leach were still there.

Edit: the Palouse in general kicks ass.

Last edited:

westoverhillbilly

I too favor the 10 team round robin, but if we have to add, then selfishly I want teams that haven't historically recruited Texas talent like Arkansas and Nebraska (perhaps Colorado too), who then lost most of their influence by quitting playing games here, and then sucked big time..

Recruiting with the P5 brand as a Texas team is a finite resource despite the huge number of recruits in the state. Disturbing that balance and feeding more mouths could spell big trouble for us should something happen to Patterson's tenure here. As it stands now, it could be much worse for Baylor and especially Tech.

HG73

Utah's threat is an empty threat. A school has to be invited by that conference to join the conference. An invite doesn't happen unless all the presidents of a conference's current schools vote unanimously to invite that school into the conference. Then the conference commissioner makes a phone call to the chancellor, president, or CEO leader of the school with the invite. This process is what happened to TCU and West Virginia. After Del Conte went to make TCU's case for being a member school of the the Big 12, the matter of adding TCU and WV to the Big 12 was put before a meeting of the Big 12 presidents. After review and discussion, a motion to call a vote was put forward and seconded. The Big 12 presidents held the vote and it was unanimous to invite TCU and WV to join the Big 12. BTW, when a conference is considering adding one or more schools, they don't just look at one or two sports. They look at the entire school as a package -- all of academics, all of athletics, everything.
Uh, actually the way this works is the TV suits call the Big12 commissioner and say if you added, say, Utah that they would add $X to each of your teams TV revenue, or at worst be revenue neutral. Commish says "we're interested." TV suits then call Utah and tell them they'll make $X more in the Big12 than the PAC. Utah says "we're interested." Big12 commish then calls Utah and asks if they will put out on the first date. Utah replies that for that kind of money we'll go down like a flat tire. Big12 commish makes perfunctory conference call to 2 or 3 of the big dog conference presidents who say "nail 'em." Utah calls Larry and tells him they want a divorce due to lack of $upport and irreconcilable differences (you cancelled the forkin' season moron). Larry asks "how much more are you getting?" and when Utah tells him he replies "Oh." Then "We'll sue." Utah replies "Sue all you want, we're outta here." A couple more days negotiations and the Big12 commish makes the announcement.

HG73

TCU would get moved out before KSU does.
Oh please. TCU offers so much more to any conference than Kansas State or even Kansas for that matter. Academics, location, recruiting, facilities and most important $$$.

And for the bazillionth time, Nebraska, Arkansas and Missouri are not coming back. The $$$ is too good for them to leave.

Now, Colorado, Utah and the Arizonas are good candidates because the $$$ is better here. Case closed.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Pullman kicks ass. I’d love to have a reason to visit that part of the country every other year. Would have been even better if Leach were still there.

Edit: the Palouse in general kicks ass.
Oh, I am in no way dumping on Pullman as a lovely place to visit! My commentary was directed solely at ease and simplicity of transport, with DFW and the other major airports in proximity to the named schools.

To me, much of the charm of Pullman, San Luis Obispo, Long Island (Bahamas), etc., is due to their remote nature. It takes some getting to get there. That isolated nature lends itself to a less stressed and easy experience.

asleep003

And Mizzou and Nebraska have been?
Believe Mizzou played in the SEC championship game twice since 2012

Don't stop there. Make a pitch to the AZ schools, Nebraska and Arkansas. Ditch KSU, KU and ISU. Trade WVU for Arkansas. Mizzou could go to the B10 where they have always wanted to go. KU too. Sorry about KSU and ISU...AAC would probably have you. Get radical here.

Yes, lets dump 2 AAU schools with great Basketball Programs .......

LeagueCityFrog

If Big XII expands they will go after bigger fish first....USC, the Zona schools, Nebraska.

I'm down with just the two Zona schools and call it good. Put them in a "Southwest" division with the Texas schools and we good. Scottsdale trips every other Fall for TCU fans ain't a bad thing.

FrogAbroad

Oh please. TCU offers so much more to any conference than Kansas State or even Kansas for that matter. Academics, location, recruiting, facilities and most important $$$.

And for the bazillionth time, Nebraska, Arkansas and Missouri are not coming back. The $$$ is too good for them to leave.

Now, Colorado, Utah and the Arizonas are good candidates because the $$$ is better here. Case closed.
Wait a sec... you're saying a powerful influencer is MONEY? In amateur college sports??