• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Patterson on how TCU plans to use JD Spielman, Marcel Brooks

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Patterson on how TCU plans to use JD Spielman, Marcel Brooks

By DEAN STRAKA

TCU football is set to finally kick off its 2020 season on Saturday when the Horned Frogs how Iowa State, and among the new additions to Gary Patterson's group are a pair of big names which TCU landed via the NCAA transfer portal this offseason. Former Nebraska wide receiver JD Spielman and ex-LSU linebacker Marcel Brooks both opted to take their talents to Fort Worth this offseason, and both now have the opportunity to make an immediate impact for TCU after being granted waivers by the NCAA for immediate eligibility this fall.

Read more at https://247sports.com/Article/tcu-h...pielman-marcel-brooks-nebraska-lsu-151779287/

"Although things haven’t been exactly great at linebacker, where he’s still learning the defense, Brooks has done very well at defensive end. Although he’s not your prototypical defensive end, Brooks’ speed and quickness has helped him win battle after battle since joining the team. That is the role TCU fans should expect to see this season, though Patterson said Monday that Brooks, too, can be expected to see action on special teams."

Why-ohming Frog on suicide alert.

Bizarro Frog

I would imagine playing safety, corner back and linebacker in Patterson's system would require significant practice time to learn. A couple of screw ups in coverage could be disastrous against some teams. I would imagine Patterson is going to put Brooks in a position to make plays but limit his responsibility in coverage until he has more time to learn the system.

Why do you need him to play safety so badly?

Also, I don't think anyone has said that he CAN'T play safety, just that he isn't currently playing there.

Mainly I believe not playing safety is why he left LSU. We told him he could play safety I thought? I think he can play strong safety with the two studs we have back there. At his size he is too small for linebacker and for sure defensive end. Maybe Coach P is sandbagging us and he will play safety.