• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call - 2019

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yes, and yes. Castleberry was the ref who led the crew in the Rape U. game last year, if memory serves, and got the call right.

Two of them will be missed.

BrewingFrog

Another B12 Referee I forgot was leaving:
Brandon Cruse moving to the NFL as on field official.

That’s 4 R’s that are being replaced.
I am curious as to how these guys, and their experience, will be replaced? Will the Conference promote from within the crews that already exist? Will they poach from other Conferences?

Atomic Frawg

Q: If a receiver catches a ball near a sideline or the end zone boundary, and is literally held in the air and run out of bounds/carried out of bounds, is it an incomplete pass? Or is it a complete pass if the receiver would have otherwise had an opportunity to "naturally" land in bounds or have the opportunity to do a toe drag? To go to the extreme, if a receiver jumps to catch a ball in the middle of the field and is not allowed to otherwise contact the ground but is run out of bounds, complete or no?

Frog-in-law1995

Appears the NFL and college rules differ.

Section 4. Catch, Recovery, Possession
Catch, Interception, Recovery—ARTICLE 3
Approved Ruling 2-4-3
I. B1 attempts to catch a punt (no fair catch signal) that crosses the neutral zone, strikes his shoulder (a muff ) and bounces into the air. The ball does not touch the ground. Airborne A1 receives the ball in flight and first returns to the ground out of bounds. RULING: Team B’s ball at the spot where the ball crossed the sideline. First and 10.
II. On third down, B1 blocks a Team A scrimmage kick that goes into the air and does not cross the neutral zone. The ball does not touch the ground. A1 jumps and grasps the ball in flight and first returns to the ground out of bounds. RULING: Team B’s ball at the spot where the ball crossed the sideline. First and 10 (Rule 6-3-7).
III. Airborne A3 receives a pass at Team A’s 40-yard line. While still airborne, he is contacted by B1 and comes to the ground out of bounds with the ball at Team A’s 37-yard line. RULING: Incomplete pass (Rule 7-3-7-a).

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Also, that NFL rule is confusing because the definition of “possession” requires 2 feet or another non-hand body part to touch the ground inbounds. Looks like a situation where the specific trumps the general.

Last edited:

Atomic Frawg

Appears the NFL and college rules differ.

Section 4. Catch, Recovery, Possession
Catch, Interception, Recovery—ARTICLE 3
Approved Ruling 2-4-3
I. B1 attempts to catch a punt (no fair catch signal) that crosses the neutral zone, strikes his shoulder (a muff ) and bounces into the air. The ball does not touch the ground. Airborne A1 receives the ball in flight and first returns to the ground out of bounds. RULING: Team B’s ball at the spot where the ball crossed the sideline. First and 10.
II. On third down, B1 blocks a Team A scrimmage kick that goes into the air and does not cross the neutral zone. The ball does not touch the ground. A1 jumps and grasps the ball in flight and first returns to the ground out of bounds. RULING: Team B’s ball at the spot where the ball crossed the sideline. First and 10 (Rule 6-3-7).
III. Airborne A3 receives a pass at Team A’s 40-yard line. While still airborne, he is contacted by B1 and comes to the ground out of bounds with the ball at Team A’s 37-yard line. RULING: Incomplete pass (Rule 7-3-7-a).
How do you reconcile those two sections? I would argue "contacted" v "carried." Give a situation when the rule cited in note 5 applies. It would seem odd to me if a receiver went airborne inside the numbers and was carried out of bounds that it would be incomplete, as opposed to being contacted and not getting two feet or a body part in. Hoping @Zebra Frog will weigh in.

Frog-in-law1995

How do you reconcile those two sections? I would argue "contacted" v "carried." Give a situation when the rule cited in note 5 applies. It would seem odd to me if a receiver went airborne inside the numbers and was carried out of bounds that it would be incomplete, as opposed to being contacted and not getting two feet or a body part in. Hoping @Zebra Frog will weigh in.

2 different rulebooks. You quoted the NFL, I quoted NCAA. The latter doesn’t seem to address the specific scenario of carrying a receiver out of bounds, so it would appear there is a hard and fast “must get a foot down” requirement.

Frog-in-law1995

Turns out that while it does not appear to be addressed in the actual NCAA rules, it is addressed in the approved rulings. Odd, but whatever.

Completed Pass—ARTICLE 6
Approved Ruling 7-3-6

III. An inbounds airborne player receives a legal forward pass. While still in the air, he is tackled by an opponent and obviously held for a moment before being carried in any direction. He then lands inbounds or out of bounds with the ball. RULING: Completed pass. The ball is dead at the yard line where the receiver/interceptor was held in a manner that prevented him from immediately returning to the ground (Rule 4-1-3-p).

BrewingFrog

Turns out that while it does not appear to be addressed in the actual NCAA rules, it is addressed in the approved rulings. Odd, but whatever.

Completed Pass—ARTICLE 6
Approved Ruling 7-3-6

III. An inbounds airborne player receives a legal forward pass. While still in the air, he is tackled by an opponent and obviously held for a moment before being carried in any direction. He then lands inbounds or out of bounds with the ball. RULING: Completed pass. The ball is dead at the yard line where the receiver/interceptor was held in a manner that prevented him from immediately returning to the ground (Rule 4-1-3-p).
But, does the guy carrying him have to take two steps to ensure possession? Or is it just a "football move"?

Atomic Frawg

Completed Pass—ARTICLE 6
Approved Ruling 7-3-6

Well then, there you go. Had wondered about that, but now I know.