• The KillerFrogs

FWBP: $25 million gift for TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWBP: $25 million gift for TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

The late Anne Marion and the Burnett Foundation have made a $25 million gift to establish The Anne W. Marion Endowment in support of the operations of the TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine in perpetuity.

This transformational gift will provide funds to support students, faculty and programming for the medical school, the school said in a news release.

Read more at https://fortworthbusiness.com/education/25-million-gift-for-tcu-and-unthsc-school-of-medicine/

BABYFACE

I would appreciate it, if on that campus somewhere, something had TCU on it. I drive by the University of North Texas health center regularly and I yet to see anything over there that suggests TCU has a medical school over there. All I see is University of North Texas and green banners.

froglash88

I would appreciate it, if on that campus somewhere, something had TCU on it. I drive by the University of North Texas health center regularly and I yet to see anything over there that suggests TCU has a medical school over there. All I see is University of North Texas and green banners.
Think of it as frogs are normally green. Right?

purple-frog-image-003-baby-purple-frog-on-momma-frog.jpg

allclearforfrogs

I know this is a dumb question, but are we sharing a medical school or is it ours? Why is it not just called "TCU Medical School." Like Baylor Law School is called Baylor Law School. It's not Baylor Law School at the Waco University Academic Center.

BABYFACE

I know this is a dumb question, but are we sharing a medical school or is it ours? Why is it not just called "TCU Medical School." Like Baylor Law School is called Baylor Law School. It's not Baylor Law School at the Waco University Academic Center.
It is TCU’s medical school at University of North Texas’s facilities. University of North Texas has all the other health programs of instruction.

Dogfrog

It is TCU’s medical school at University of North Texas’s facilities. University of North Texas has all the other health programs of instruction.

My understanding is it is University of North Texas facility, plus a University of North Texas med school (DO only) and a TCU med school (MD only).

BABYFACE

My understanding is it is University of North Texas facility, plus a University of North Texas med school (DO only) and a TCU med school (MD only).
That is correct. If a person went by the campus, one wouldn’t realize TCU’s medical school was there on the premises. Maybe it is no big deal, but for branding, they should have something that displays that TCU has a med school there.

Dogfrog

That is correct. If a person went by the campus, one wouldn’t realize TCU’s medical school was there on the premises. Maybe it is no big deal, but for branding, they should have something that displays that TCU has a med school there.

Yea, thought the original plan was to call it something like TCU/University of North Texas Medical school at UNTHSC.

tcudoc

University of North Texas has had an existing osteopathic medical school for many years. They tried to open a concurrent allopathic (MD) school to also be a University of North Texas school. This really pissed off their osteopathic alumni and the legislature determined that they could not oversee both an osteopathic and an allopathic medical school. They approached TCU about partnering for the MD school. That is why it is a partnership. University of North Texas was not allowed to do it without TCU being the co-namesake for the school. The acronym and the name of the school are clumsy at best, as noted above. I think it has real potential to be a high quality school and the opportunities in the FW Medical District for clinical rotations are enormous as long as they can get good affiliations with the really good hospitals. I suspect thaat there will soon be additional residency programs that will boost the medical training experience for the students.
I personally wish that University of North Texas was not involved so that it could be solely TCU, but the reality is that University of North Texas is likely providing the lions share of the infrastructure, since they already have it in place.
I have been looking for some TCU Medical School paraphernalia, like T-shirts etc, but have yet to find any.

TCUdirtbag

Not exactly. UNTHSC campus, yes. UNTHSC is the sole operator of the DO School, yes. But the MD school is a joint venture/operation of TCU and UNTHSC.

4 Oaks Frog

University of North Texas has had an existing osteopathic medical school for many years. They tried to open a concurrent allopathic (MD) school to also be a University of North Texas school. This really pissed off their osteopathic alumni and the legislature determined that they could not oversee both an osteopathic and an allopathic medical school. They approached TCU about partnering for the MD school. That is why it is a partnership. University of North Texas was not allowed to do it without TCU being the co-namesake for the school. The acronym and the name of the school are clumsy at best, as noted above. I think it has real potential to be a high quality school and the opportunities in the FW Medical District for clinical rotations are enormous as long as they can get good affiliations with the really good hospitals. I suspect thaat there will soon be additional residency programs that will boost the medical training experience for the students.
I personally wish that University of North Texas was not involved so that it could be solely TCU, but the reality is that University of North Texas is likely providing the lions share of the infrastructure, since they already have it in place.
I have been looking for some TCU Medical School paraphernalia, like T-shirts etc, but have yet to find any.
Come on bookstore!!
GO FROGS!
BEAT ISU!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok baylor!!