• The KillerFrogs

OT:TCU moves up 17 Spots USNWR RANKINGS for 2021

Virginia Frog

Last year we had a very big drop so #80 seems lateral to me.

TCU's been in the USN&WR 80-100 range for at least 3 decades now (we had a drop in '94 to a tie for #103 I believe.) Dr Tucker at the time said the drop was largely due to our "freshmen retention rate" and that was when they doubled-down on an emphasis of engaging the new students pre-enrollment (like Frog Camp) to get the kids connected. It apparently returned us to the 80-something range.

As an observer of this "list" (since USN&WR had been one of my clients over the years) TCU's height has been slowed by the "nationalization" of what they used to describe as "Regional Universities." -Several of these schools have jumped in front of us once they are deemed "National."

Wake Forest,#28, Brandeis #42, Santa Clara #53, Villanova #53, Loyola Marymount, #66 Worcester Polytechnic #76, Yeshiva #76, Gonzaga #80, Stevens Institute #80 are all examples of this effect.

On our heels are several other former "Regional" universities:
ColSchMines #88, Elon #88, Clark (MA) #103, USF #103, LaVerne (CA) #112 (what, who, where? "national" really!)

I'd just be happy to jump Baptist Tech and SnootyDallasU.

(All of those Uof Cali campuses in the Top 100 - it doesn't seem fair.)

helcap

Last year we had a very big drop so #80 seems lateral to me.

TCU's been in the USN&WR 80-100 range for at least 3 decades now (we had a drop in '94 to a tie for #103 I believe.) Dr Tucker at the time said the drop was largely due to our "freshmen retention rate" and that was when they doubled-down on an emphasis of engaging the new students pre-enrollment (like Frog Camp) to get the kids connected. It apparently returned us to the 80-something range.

As an observer of this "list" (since USN&WR had been one of my clients over the years) TCU's height has been slowed by the "nationalization" of what they used to describe as "Regional Universities." -Several of these schools have jumped in front of us once they are deemed "National."

Wake Forest,#28, Brandeis #42, Santa Clara #53, Villanova #53, Loyola Marymount, #66 Worcester Polytechnic #76, Yeshiva #76, Gonzaga #80, Stevens Institute #80 are all examples of this effect.

On our heels are several other former "Regional" universities:
ColSchMines #88, Elon #88, Clark (MA) #103, USF #103, LaVerne (CA) #112 (what, who, where? "national" really!)

I'd just be happy to jump Baptist Tech and SnootyDallasU.

(All of those Uof Cali campuses in the Top 100 - it doesn't seem fair.)
Wonder if LaVerne also has a Sherley Hall

TCUdirtbag

This is more of a recovery after a big drop last year. At this ranking range there are a lot of multi-way ties, so a little change in one thing or another can really move the needle.

The Big 12/Texas pecking order remains the same.

LeagueCityFrog

We've added a medical school, get better undergrads, and the city of Fort Worth has dramatically upgraded the last 30 years....How in God's name are we still ranked behind Baylor?

TCUdirtbag

We've added a medical school, get better undergrads, and the city of Fort Worth has dramatically upgraded the last 30 years....How in God's name are we still ranked behind Baylor?

Well, for one, we share the 14-month old medical school. Not to mention location isn’t directly factored into rankings.

It is correct that TCU is more selective. But USNWR rankings are both flawed and not a simple measure of selectivity.