• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Sonny Dykes reacts to cancellation of SMU-TCU in 2020

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Sonny Dykes reacts to cancellation of SMU-TCU in 2020

By Billy Embody

SMU got the bad news on Friday that the matchup with TCU, scheduled for Sept. 11 in Ft. Worth, wouldn't be played after all after a COVID-19 outbreak in the Horned Frogs program.

Head coach Sonny Dykes was disappointed he didn't get to take his team on the road for a shot at beating TCU for the second straight year. SMU was going to play in Ft. Worth three straight years, but as of now will play there in 2021 before the series returns to Dallas in 2022.

"I was obviously disappointed. It's a rivalry that's 100 years," Dykes said after SMU's 31-24 win over Texas State. "This was going to be the 100th time it would've been played so it's obviously something that's gone on for a long time. I know it's got a lot of history. I know the series here recently hasn't been particularly kind to us, but you know, we found a way to win last year and I know our guys are really excited about going to their place again. We were going to go there three years in a row and having a chance to compete, but it didn't work out that way."

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/smu/A...CU-in-2020-Gary-Patterson-COVID-19-151145575/