• The KillerFrogs

Utah just furloughed the entire athletic dept....

steelfrog

Tier 1
Not to mention the likely eventual reduction of the Exxon dividend. Plenty of old folks and small pensioners rely on that reliable small payout. Exxon may be the most widely held income issue along with Coca Cola and a couple others.
Exxon hasn't cut its dividend in something like 40 years; plenty of cash on hand--have you heard that they are going to cut dividend?

jack the frog

Exxon hasn't cut its dividend in something like 40 years; plenty of cash on hand--have you heard that they are going to cut dividend?

Plenty of smart folks coming down on both sides of the argument and for the record XOM continues reaffirm the payout as sacrosanct. I see a payout not covered by free cash flow along with a current yield of 9% as warning signs but that is just one man’s opinion. I have not seen any news that would suggest anything immediate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN24V2RP

Mean Purple

This is why we need to have a season.

The are reports of players looking to go elsewhere. There is concern about how some programs would fair the next few years. The Big 10 and PAC can lie to themselves all they want, but if the other P5s play, their toast for a good while.

Wexahu

When others lose jobs it’s a recession when you lose your job it’s a depression! Sucks for anyone to lose any job.

Not speaking about college athletic department employees specifically, but Im not sure all those people who have lost their jobs thinks it sucks. In fact, as long as the govt keeps paying additional unemployment benefits, I bet quite a few of them think it’s pretty awesome.

Eight

Not speaking about college athletic department employees specifically, but Im not sure all those people who have lost their jobs thinks it sucks. In fact, as long as the govt keeps paying additional unemployment benefits, I bet quite a few of them think it’s pretty awesome.

restaurant wait staff who make crap hourly wages and depend upon tips are one thing, but geos, engineers, sales staff etc...aren't sitting fat on unemployment

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Shell and BP have already cut their dividend ~50% - XOM has been going back and forth on how many round of layoffs they need after previously issuing a PR saying they wouldn’t have any layoffs.

Dividend will probably be reduced heavily but not set to 0. Cash on hand doesn’t help much when multi-year outlook is terrible.

Chevron dividend is allegedly more stable but time will tell.

cdsfrog

I will be super clear, ZERO advice on XOM that said if you are looking at a post COVID oil company play look at XLE

Diversified, has huge exposure to Chevron and Exxon (45% combined) but way less risky than going all in on 1.

Had DOCU and the nasdaq not took a huge crap on Thursday, I was trimming positions and using cash for that.

Paul in uhh

I will be super clear, ZERO advice on XOM that said if you are looking at a post COVID oil company play look at XLE

Diversified, has huge exposure to Chevron and Exxon (45% combined) but way less risky than going all in on 1.

Had DOCU and the nasdaq not took a huge crap on Thursday, I was trimming positions and using cash for that.
I know some of these words!

ticketfrog123

I understand the intent and that this isn’t investment advice, but this is an awful take.

the XLE is a crap fund and by being overly concentrated in XOM / CVX it is by definition the opposite of diversified. Energy stock underperformance has been the story of the past decade. There’s also dog-poop oilfield services company in that fund that will certainly be nonexistent in a few years.

TLDR: dont take anything as investment advice here, but not a bad hypothetical idea to stay away from energy stocks; there’s plenty of articles out there on the issues.

Horny4TCU

I assume a lot of Mormons that went to BYU are on the USHE (Utah System of Higher Education). And I bet they set the budge for the Utes...

ticketfrog123

I assume a lot of Mormons that went to BYU are on the USHE (Utah System of Higher Education). And I bet they set the budge for the Utes...

probably indicative of what you’ll see happen to non P5 teams and maybe even a few PAC teams if there really is no season this year.

Oregon state does not have the boosters to survive this. I don’t think ASU does either.

Horny4TCU

probably indicative of what you’ll see happen to non P5 teams and maybe even a few PAC teams if there really is no season this year.

Oregon state does not have the boosters to survive this. I don’t think ASU does either.
You are right... But I don't think there is another state like Utah, where the public school and private school are such rivals. The grads from BYU might have finally got one over on the ol' utes, if the BYU grads are truly on the Higher Ed Board of Utah and blocked funding for the football and athletics program.