• The KillerFrogs

SMU game cancelled

I had purchased a monthly streaming subscription for the main purposes of being able to watch football live at home in the fall. I went ahead and cancelled due to all the uncertainty of this season. After TCU announced it's schedule I considered re-purchasing but chose to wait until things got closer. Now, I'm glad I did. I plan to re-new but not until the MORNING OF our first scheduled game.
Same - I dropped cable for the first time this summer. I don't miss it at all - but was planning on YoutubeTV for ESPN this fall (and locals). I guess I'll wait a bit. Nothing this weekend looked like it was worth a nickel let alone $60/month.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Both said the risk of throwing a false positive was too high to comply.
Therein lies the rub. Earlier this week there were several pieces talking about the sensitivity of the tests being far and away too high, throwing off the accuracy and rendering too many false positives. I don't have any idea how many tests are done on the team (the whole team? A selected few?), the frequency (Daily, weekly, hourly?), and what safeguards are in place to re-test in case of false positives.

I am reminded of Travis Trucks' post elsewhere on playing with the Swine Flu in '09 and how that was treated as, well, the flu. If you're sick, stay in bed. Otherwise, practice is at 8am.

Wexahu

Seven players tested positive. Then you start the contact tracing. That is why we are not playing.

This probably won’t be a popular opinion, but GP isn’t going to play a nationally televised game against SMU in the first game of the year with a decimated roster unless he has to. If there is an out available, he’s gonna take it.

Not sure I buy a we didn’t have 53 available angle, if that’s what is being said. And if the product we’d have put out there was going to be really bad given who wasn’t available to play, I don’t really blame him.

Pharm Frog

This probably won’t be a popular opinion, but GP isn’t going to play a nationally televised game against SMU in the first game of the year with a decimated roster unless he has to. If there is an out available, he’s gonna take it.

Not sure I buy a we didn’t have 53 available angle, if that’s what is being said. And if the product we’d have put out there was going to be really bad given who wasn’t available to play, I don’t really blame him.

This was my thought as well although I don’t think it being a nationally televised game had anything to do with it.

LoudFrog

What is TCU doing wrong that other programs in Texas are doing right, so they can play today?
We have beautiful facilities however we share them with all the other programs. It’s like a Cattlecall with all the athletes wandering around the weight room. Very hard to bubble our football players . We can do better

Moose Stuff

I believe you are very likely correct.

TCUdirtbag

Back in February we were told this would last a few weeks. Give us time to flatten the curve and stock up on masks so our hospitals won't be overrun. "We" said okay. This makes "logical sense"... we will go along. It has never stopped since. It keeps getting doubled down and more. I don't know the TCU AD or Administrators, but I know the type and this bunch fits the profile perfectly. The only reason we've gotten this far is outside pressure on them to play football. They are scared and weak in the face of a crisis. It's nothing personal toward them. They have plenty of company across the nation, and that cover is part of their problem.

Cannot emphasize how strongly this reveals you are entirely disconnected from reality.

TCU has one of the largest “outbreaks” of COVID in the country among peer colleges in week 2, when over 5% of the student body tested positive in the first 2 weeks. While that’s over 500 students at TCU, that would extrapolate out to 2,500+ at UT or A&M or Tech. Remember when Temple (40k) shut down for 2 weeks because they hit 100? Notre Dame? UNC? NC State? Remember when Alabama and South Carolina hit front pages for getting to 1,000 in 2 weeks? TCU more than doubled the rates at all those schools.

Yet, TCU resisted the INCREDIBLE public and industry pressure to close.

Add in, TCU was the first and still one of the few schools to open in DFW. FWISD is virtual. The FWST hammered TCU’s numbers.

So before you project whatever anti-academia-driven views you have on TCU’s administration, get some perspective. TCU has been a leader in pressing forward and resisted significant pressure to change course. They have repeatedly shown in recent weeks that they are working their asses of to stay open, and to play football.

It sucks this game got postponed. But there are bigger fish to fry, and TCU is doing a helluva job.

Eight

Seven players tested positive. Then you start the contact tracing. That is why we are not playing.

this is ridiculous if they are ruling out players who might have had contact

multiple sports around the globe have simply tested, confirmed, and quarantined those who have been positively identified.

hell, heard a thing on the news last night that the sugarland skeeters who have been playing for weeks and testing for weeks have a 1% positive rate among their players tested

if freaking a freaking unaffiliated minor league team can find a way to not only run 1 team, but 4 teams and not kill anyone or cause an outbreak in ft bend county it can be done elsewhere if you truly want to make it work out

Pharm Frog

TCU has one of the largest “outbreaks” of COVID in the country among peer colleges in week 2, when over 5% of the student body tested positive in the first 2 weeks. While that’s over 500 students at TCU, that would extrapolate out to 2,500+ at UT or A&M or Tech. Remember when Temple (40k) shut down for 2 weeks because they hit 100? Notre Dame? UNC? NC State? Remember when Alabama and South Carolina hit front pages for getting to 1,000 in 2 weeks? TCU more than doubled the rates at all those schools.

Yet, TCU resisted the INCREDIBLE public and industry pressure to close.

It sucks this game got postponed. But there are bigger fish to fry, and TCU is doing a helluva job.

I agree with the resistance to succumb to pressure to close but given your numbers I’m inclined to ask why TCU students appear to be more susceptible to COVID infection than other schools. I have employees who have recently taken kids to school at A&M, Bama, and OU and they all said there were masses of people in close proximity.

On the other hand, I know a kid that went to a juco in NM to play ball and was quarantined in a hotel room without a window for 14 days...got out last Sunday and tested positive on Thursday.