• The KillerFrogs

Downfall of TCU Football

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Considering our size, talent vs those who contend and QB troubles our up and down performance shouldn’t be that surprising. He hits on the playoff snub as a factor that I maintain isn’t taken serious enough. I sure would have liked to have seen if an inclusion in the final four or even a run in the playoff might have spurred the momentum to move us up as a regular in the elite.

texas_sicilian

Considering our size, talent vs those who contend and QB troubles our up and down performance shouldn’t be that surprising. He hits on the playoff snub as a factor that I maintain isn’t taken serious enough. I sure would have liked to have seen if an inclusion in the final four or even a run in the playoff might have spurred the momentum to move us up as a regular in the elite.
Worked for Clemson.

jake102

2021 is more pivotal IMO. I think this year is almost going to be a half throw-away year where results aren't quite as important as other years. Just get the games played, win as many games as you can but almost as importantly, make the TV money so your athletic department isn't decimated financially, and get ready for 2021.

Assuming we get at least 6 games in, I think you do have to make a decision on Cumbie. His contract is up.

NORMLFROG

Downfall might be a strong word but I agree with many of the sentiments. The difference between TCU(and most if not all non-blue blood schools) is that out margin of error is much narrower. A miss on a player, player/position development, etc. more likely to have bigger and lengthier consequences than say, LSU, OSU, etc. Snakebit w/ injuries? Maybe. But there is definitely merit to this analysis.

To maintain the level of competitiveness we all desire our program cannot weather missteps. That might mean stubborn staff loyalty might need to be tempered. Who knows? Above my pay grade. What I do know is that overall complacency will lead the program into what we used to mock. TCU can't afford to be just glad to be here. TCU can't focus on the fancy uniforms and fat tv checks while the rest of the field laps the program. Then we're just like Tech.

This season, as crazy at it is/might be, must be a season of re-trenching. I'm excited to see the response.

NF

jake102

Is it? If TCU quits recruiting at a level better than half the conference. If TCU starts going 3-9 every year and getting smoked like Kansas then maybe. Even last year was a few plays from an 8-9 win season.

The reports of TCU’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. - Mark Twain (roughly)

I mean I guess how do you define "pivotal"? Honestly it's a bit too much, but it's not hard to make the case that TCU is solidly on the wrong trend if we bust out a 5-5 year in 2020. Can it reverse in 2021? Sure. But past evidence won't really be on your side at that point... be starting to look a lot like Michigan State. Also - on the surface at least - our recruiting isn't going well this year (looking at average ranking, not total)

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I mean I guess how do you define "pivotal"? Honestly it's a bit too much, but it's not hard to make the case that TCU is solidly on the wrong trend if we bust out a 5-5 year in 2020. Can it reverse in 2021? Sure. But past evidence won't really be on your side at that point... be starting to look a lot like Michigan State. Also - on the surface at least - our recruiting isn't going well this year (looking at average ranking, not total)
5th in conference by average rating. I imagine that ends up at 4th when all said and done. Or not. It’s going to be small class regardless with minor impact.

jake102

5th in conference by average rating. I imagine that ends up at 4th when all said and done. Or not. It’s going to be small class regardless with minor impact.

Yeah I'm not going to speak to recruiting too much, I look at average rating and that's it. I can't guess on new recruits, why we have a small class... out of my league/interest zone.

For me - you can't stay stale as a football program unless you're a blue blood, and another mediocre season in 2020 combined with retaining the coaching staff and our total lockdown on any marketing would indicate a bad trend and a stale program. Hopefully we go 7-3 or better and are primed for a nice 2021.

4th. down

Thanks for your effort.

One can review our track record from Big 12 inception and track the w/l via the QB position. Good QB's, we win and win a lot and some big wins also. Mediocre to bad QB's, no bueno, we can't get the job done.

So, here we are again with the potential to have another no. 1 rated Big 12 defense but the QB, well, by the completion of the Iowa St. game we will know again if it's our QB failing again leading to an unpleasant season.

Frozen Frog

It is a fun recent recap. I think TCU needs to find their identity again. They need players who want to be Horned Frogs, and the attitude that comes with it. They need players who are leaders. They need to start finding that speed again. Finally they need to start having fun! Stay oriented to the present, and the future will come. Focus on the future, and you will miss the present.

I grew up watching the 2, 4, 6, 8 score before we graduate years of TCU. Eventually Wacker and Sullivan (ignoring his last season) showed you could still win at TCU. The community bought in to TCU. I can't speak to the major fall during the late 60s and 70s.

I think what also gets missed is that good leaders enable others to move forward in their goals. TCU has lost a ton of great coaches over the years. Those aren't easy to replace. It usually results in several of those who leave and the ones that stay getting terminated including the head coach. That hasn't happened at TCU. There is something to be said for longevity.