• The KillerFrogs

Santa Cruz Sentinel: Scotts Valley flamethrower Jacob Hudson, commits to TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
STC-L-HUDSON-0829-04_76122066.jpg

Scotts Valley flamethrower Jacob Hudson, clocked at 93 mph at age 15, commits to TCU

By JIM SEIMAS | jseimas@santacruzsentinel.com | Santa Cruz Sentinel

Scotts Valley flamethrower Jacob Hudson, one of Santa Cruz County’s most highly recruited baseball players in recent history, had eight Pac-12 Conference programs seeking his services. That’s what happens when you’re 15 years old and throw harder than some major leaguers.

The newly turned 16-year-old sophomore at Valley Christian High of San Jose opted to compete in the Big 12 Conference. He committed to powerful Texas Christian University last month and will join the NCAA Division-I program in 2023-24.

The 5-foot-10, 195-pound right-handed pitcher is one of the nation’s top recruits in the Class of 2023. As a 15-year-old, he had his fastball clocked at 93 mph — 17 mph faster than the average speed for pitchers in his graduating class, according to Perfect Game.

Read more at https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2...t-age-15-commits-to-tcu-high-school-baseball/

Moose Stuff

See any difference in him versus Jacob Meador? JM situation as 15 year old sounds similar to this kid.

Meador wasn't that heavy at 15 years old. I'm guessing he isn't that heavy now. I'm not saying this kid can't get better, that's just a real mature body type at 15.

Froggy Style

Absolutely, I'm making no definitive statement here. Just commenting on what seems to be a very mature body type and what that often suggests.
Fastball pitchers improve because they learn how to throw a third and fourth pitch as they mature, not because they add a few mph.

Moose Stuff

My original comment was directed more at the idea of this kid being a top flight PRO prospect coming out of HS than it was him being a good college pitcher or what he might accomplish beyond that. Was more or less trying to say 5'10 thick bodied kids usually end up on campus.