• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Ross Blacklock’s first rookie mistake

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Houston Chronicle: Ross Blacklock’s first rookie mistake

By John McClain, Staff writer

J.J. Watt will make sure of it.

When Watt requests an order from one of his favorite restaurants, “Kata Robata,” rookies better bring sushi and not donuts. That’s what happened when two rookies from Houston, Blacklock and nose tackle Auzoyah “Big Z” Alufohai, got their signals crossed and committed MEs — mental errors.

“We were supposed to order Kata Robata for the vets,” Blacklock said. “It was just miscommunication with the vets, and the rookies took the (loss), so we brought J.J. and them donuts the next morning trying to make it up.

“It was kind of like bringing your girlfriend flowers after you got into an argument. Unfortunately, we’re still going to have to get the food.”

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ck-e2-80-99s-first-rookie-mistake/ar-BB18mK7X

ftwfrog

Call me a snowflake, but I don’t like the rookie hazing. Maybe first and second rounders are fair game and the petty crap like singing your alma mater in the meeting room are fine.

But a 22 year old trying to make a professional football team, and set his family up for life has much more to worry about than making sure he gets your lunch order correct and being taped to a goal post.

Horny4TCU

Call me a snowflake, but I don’t like the rookie hazing. Maybe first and second rounders are fair game and the petty crap like singing your alma mater in the meeting room are fine.

But a 22 year old trying to make a professional football team, and set his family up for life has much more to worry about than making sure he gets your lunch order correct and being taped to a goal post.
IDK... you could pay me hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a sport and I would buy breakfast, lunch, and dinner then tie myself to the goal post. Especially if it meant being able to keep my job playing a sport that is paying me lots and lots of money... to play a sport.

CountryFrog

There's definitely a line somewhere there. For me the physical stuff is stupid. Anything where you are physically doing something to someone against their will that is meant to belittle or humiliate them should be off limits.

Paying for lunch and dinner though is fine. Someone has to pay for that stuff and they all have plenty of money unless they're undrafted guys. There is a way that you can do that stuff in a respectful manner without it denigrating the other person.

YA

There's definitely a line somewhere there. For me the physical stuff is stupid. Anything where you are physically doing something to someone against their will that is meant to belittle or humiliate them should be off limits.

Paying for lunch and dinner though is fine. Someone has to pay for that stuff and they all have plenty of money unless they're undrafted guys. There is a way that you can do that stuff in a respectful manner without it denigrating the other person.
I'm guessing you were not in a fraternity

BABYFACE

Having to buy lunch for Watt is not really hazing but part of being rookie.

We have the new guys on the athletic organization board bring the beer to meetings.

Last edited:

Latest posts