• The KillerFrogs

On A Much Lighter Note....

froginmn

My dad was told by someone with the same last name as his mom's that we are descended from William the Conqueror.

Not sure if that's good or bad, or if he will later be outed as a racist, so I mostly keep that to myself.

HG73

I was told our family was Irish roots growing up but when my brother tracked it all back with 23 and me, turns out it was Scottish. Like so many others we were also told we had a bunch of Native American but didn’t actually have any. Funny how much of our heritage we believe that isn’t even true.
Elizabeth? Is that you?

HG73

I'm scotch irish, wife almost 100% English. She's been subjugating and starving me for four decades.

I have the red hair and am particularly thrifty. Everything except lucky.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
My Dad's side of the logpile is thoroughly Scot, many sent here for being naughty back in the Old Country. It's a wonder there are any of us left, given that every list of battle dead in Texas has a few of us on it. In Goliad, there's a few of us in the pile of bones that Urrea left there to rot in the sun. Luckily, on the list of the winners at San Jacinto, there's a couple of us. Something evidently went right...

When the Folks visited Scotland in the late 80's, Dad got to visit the old castles, and look at some of the history. He noted the number of dead folks bearing our name in the variety of brutal wars in Scot history and had the same thought: "It's a wonder any of us were left to carry on!"

Froginbedford

I'm scotch irish, wife almost 100% English. She's been subjugating and starving me for four decades.

I have the red hair and am particularly thrifty. Everything except lucky.

Scots Irish....Scots adamantly insist they are not a drink.....I am also of the mixed nationality on mother's side and Irish and German on father's side....Wonder why I never had very many fights growing up....

HG73

My Dad's side of the logpile is thoroughly Scot, many sent here for being naughty back in the Old Country. It's a wonder there are any of us left, given that every list of battle dead in Texas has a few of us on it. In Goliad, there's a few of us in the pile of bones that Urrea left there to rot in the sun. Luckily, on the list of the winners at San Jacinto, there's a couple of us. Something evidently went right...

When the Folks visited Scotland in the late 80's, Dad got to visit the old castles, and look at some of the history. He noted the number of dead folks bearing our name in the variety of brutal wars in Scot history and had the same thought: "It's a wonder any of us were left to carry on!"
The Scots do like a fight, so I have heard.

HG73

I do so love the scene early in Braveheart with the Uncle: "First, you learn to use this (poking young William's head), then, I'll teach you to use this (hefting sword)." Lots of my forbears evidently missed lesson 1...
It's their nature. I hear their threat scale only has two levels:
1. Pissed, and
2. "LET'S GET THE [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ]"

Profanity filter ruins yet another post. Thanks.

Theoretically, Scotch and Scotch-Irish were simply terms used by early colonist, already

living in the new world, as a means to differentiate between those Scots who were

immigrating directly from Scotland, as opposed to Scots who spent a certain period of time

in Ireland prior to arriving in the colonies. In any case, the term was simply a means to

identify the ethnicity of those of Scottish descent as opposed to Irish. The term was
used

only in the colonies and
never in Europe.

Last edited:

HG73

Theoretically, Scotch and Scotch-Irish was simply a term used by early colonist, already

living in the new world, as a means to differentiate between those individuals who were

immigrating directly from Scotland, as opposed to Scots who spent a certain period of time

in Ireland prior to arriving in the colonies. In any case, the term was simply a means to

identify the ethnicity of those of Scottish descent as opposed to Irish. The term was
used

only in the colonies and
never in Europe.
Well, I don't care. Family always told me we were scotch irish, and so did Ancestry.com.
Family also told me that we were not that welcome at Ellis Island. Oh well.

BedfordFrog68

[
It’s weird how many people have false stories of Native American heritage.

A research assistant at the federal archives in Fort Worth told me that about half of the people doing family history searches say they have been told that they are descended from a Cherokee princess....Of course there are no genealogical records of Native Americans before the 1890 census....

Eight

[

A research assistant at the federal archives in Fort Worth told me that about half of the people doing family history searches say they have been told that they are descended from a Cherokee princess....Of course there are no genealogical records of Native Americans before the 1890 census....

similar to my dad trying to research his father's side of the family back to prussia.

unfortunately, thanks to world war 2 there isn't access to many of the records in various towns and to complete his research he would have needed to go through various old church logs for births, marriages, deaths, etc...