• The KillerFrogs

Big 10 money!

Fort Frog

Since Nebraska would supposedly take a big cut in revenue coming back to the big 12, what kind of finance hit are the big 10 going to take without any sports on tv? ESPN isn’t going to just pony up the millions that there supposed to get without a product to show for it are they? You business savvy frogs help me. Just a simple observation from a soon to be retiree.

Ordinarily, you’d think not but if the ESPN talking heads reflect the thinking of corporate executives, it sounds like they would rather pay the conferences for not playing than pay the conferences giving them games to broadcast.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Since Nebraska would supposedly take a big cut in revenue coming back to the big 12, what kind of finance hit are the big 10 going to take without any sports on tv? ESPN isn’t going to just pony up the millions that there supposed to get without a product to show for it are they? You business savvy frogs help me. Just a simple observation from a soon to be retiree.

Won’t they make it up, at least in part, if they play in the spring?

HG73

They be takin' a B1G hit. Then the teams that really want to play from the B1G, PAC and MW just schedule each other this year. And the network that just lost the B1G or PAC season picks them up. And these teams make a big check this year while the skirts that don't want to play get nothing. Who's laughing now [hundinnen ]?

Please stop the profanity filters.

Last edited:
That would seem like a sound business model.
That was my point. Having two of your primary content providers in the sport your network is most historically associated with not provide content doesn’t seem like a good business model and having none of them do so seems even worse yet that is the near universal advocacy position of their on-air talent.

LeagueCityFrog

I was told earlier today some Big Ten schools are looking at losing $150 million this cycle plus what they missed out last Spring in their conference's cut of the $1 Billion plus payout for the NCAA's cash cow... March Madness.

Loss = TV Revenue + Season Ticket refunds + Parking + Merchandise + Potential Donor Defunding + Concessions

Fort Frog

Ordinarily, you’d think not but if the ESPN talking heads reflect the thinking of corporate executives, it sounds like they would rather pay the conferences for not playing than pay the conferences giving them games to broadcast.
Pay the conferences for not playing? So they can achieve the moral high ground? If eyeballs aren’t on the network then the money isn’t coming in and bills aren’t getting paid. I think the big ten hasn’t realized yet there getting ready to take it in the shorts!

Pay the conferences for not playing? So they can achieve the moral high ground? If eyeballs aren’t on the network then the money isn’t coming in and bills aren’t getting paid. I think the big ten hasn’t realized yet there getting ready to take it in the shorts!
Obviously, or at least I thought it was obvious, I know they are not really going to pay them not to play. I was sarcastically commenting on the fact that the network most known for broadcasting college football is not using its on-air talent to actually promote college football for those who are playing but attempting to shame them into following those who are not which would leave them with nothing to broadcast. Paying them not to play only makes slightly less sense as a business model.

Fort Frog

Obviously, or at least I thought it was obvious, I know they are not really going to pay them not to play. I was sarcastically commenting on the fact that the network most known for broadcasting college football is not using its on-air talent to actually promote college football for those who are playing but attempting to shame them into following those who are not which would leave them with nothing to broadcast. Paying them not to play only makes slightly less sense as a business model.
My final thought on this is if Nebraska wants to come back to big 12 I don’t think the finance should keep them from it. If the other schools In big 12 want them back is for another thread. OUT!

LeagueCityFrog

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Sure, the B1G is going to take a torpedo in the wallet, but what about ESPN/Disney? What the B1G gets is but a fraction of the revenue ESPN pulls in, and they lost last Spring's revenues and are now facing another huge loss. Advertisers pay for ratings, and ESPN's ratings have been ghastly.
One would think that their on-air talent would be power grovelling for football, but they've evidently gone full "woke" and lament that some Conferences aren't submitting to the panic.

West Coast Johnny

Of course not. But they could dam sure give them the finger by playing this year. And make some much needed money while the other skirts in the Big10 don't make squat.
I don't think the Big 10 is just going to let Nebraska play for the Big12 this season out of the goodness of their heart. Of course Nebraska could sue and get released from the Grant of Rights, but they better do that quick.