• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Matt Purke Returns To Program

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Purke1.jpg

https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/8/11/baseball-matt-purke-returns-to-program.aspx

GoFrogs: Matt Purke Returns To Program

FORT WORTH – TCU baseball head coach Jim Schlossnagle announced the return of Matt Purke to the program. The former Horned Frog will serve as a student assistant on the coaching staff as he completes his undergraduate degree.

"We are so excited to welcome Matt, his wife Sophie and their two daughters back to TCU and our baseball program," said Schlossnagle. "Matt has a very intense desire to help young people and he has great passion for college baseball. I have no doubt he will have a lasting positive impact on the development of our players!"

"I am coming home to finish the job we started 10 years ago," said Purke. "This time 47 will have a different role - help these players finish our Horned Frogs' dream."

A third-round draft pick of the Washington Nationals in 2011, Purke was instrumental in guiding TCU to its first-ever College World Series appearance in 2010. He was the consensus National Freshman of the Year in 2010 as well as being tabbed an All-American by four outlets. Additionally, he was named the Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year.

In just two seasons in the Purple and White, Purke put up stellar numbers on the mound. In 31 appearances, he started 29 games and posted an impressive 21-1 record. That mark includes a nation-leading 16-0 record as a freshman. The 16 wins remain a school record.

In 169 career innings pitched, he fanned 203 batters, walked 54 and posted an ERA of 2.61. The Horned Frogs were 26-5 in games he pitched in his career.

After being drafted, Purke spent nine years in professional baseball. He was in the Nationals organization for four seasons before moving on in the Chicago White Sox organization for two seasons. With the White Sox, Purke made his Major League debut on May 20, 2016. He ultimately made 12 appearances with the club. His final season in minor league baseball was with the New York Mets. He concluded his playing career in independent ball with Sugar Land.

NewFrogFan

Sophie Hulin Purke spent her first 12 years or so living across the street from us. I flew at AA with her dad several times in the early years.