• The KillerFrogs

Sally Jenkins piece

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Correct. Real men drink it black. Milk is for girls. He needs to just give it up and go to Starbucks.
Watch it.
My dad taught me to drink it black, because "you can't always get milk and sugar on the front lines." I was 16 and the thought of being in the military was the farthest thing from my mind. But I guess Father knew best.
I drink it black to this day.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Correct. Real men drink it black. Milk is for girls. He needs to just give it up and go to Starbucks.
Nope. Nopitty nope nope. The fools at Starbucks 1.) Always burn their beans, 2.) Do you really want some multi-pierced, chicken-necked twit touching your beloved coffee mug? Ugh... 3.) Have a ton of delicious scones, and shortbreads, and sweet things that will inflate me like a zeppelin. And I will eat them all.

No, it's far safer to stay home and drink my own.

BrewingFrog

Watch it.
My dad taught me to drink it black, because "you can't always get milk and sugar on the front lines." I was 16 and the thought of being in the military was the farthest thing from my mind. But I guess Father knew best.
I do not disparage the drinking of un-tweaked coffee. As stated, some days you just can't get milk, or sugar. Hell, hot water for that matter. But, given the option, I will have my little comforts, because I can.

HG73

Watch it.
Almost exactly what my dad told me. "Wait until you can't get that stuff. You'll like it black just fine. " Coming from the WWII/Burma vet. You couldn't get ANYTHING in Burma except VD. And malaria/distentary.

Last edited:

Jackson

Gee Sally thanks for stating the obvious. The Correct solution isn’t sharing the wealth with amateur football players. Universities should only recruit players who desire to obtain a degree that can be leveraged into a career. The Athletic infrastructure battles need to end and the school focus needs to return to educating students. If football players want a salary and fame try the NFL or Reality television. If the NCAA decides to give in to the (Pac XII) players demands I’ll pass on attending or watching players profit from a game that was funded by myself and other taxpayers. The NCAA built the business model not the players. The players agreed to play football for an education & room/board.

Rabidfrog

Twaddle. A great lot of mindless twaddle.

She relies on an "ex-NCAA investigator" (There's a crack outfit if there ever was one...) and some accountant as her sources. She begins with the premise that spending at Universities is unsustainable. Well, no poop, Sherlock! What other gems of wisdom and observation you got in that bag of tricks?

I remember a line from a Hemingway book: "How did you go broke?"

"Well, slowly at first. Then, all of a sudden."

The issue isn't that Universities are awash in money from Sports, it is that they are awash in money. Yes, Sports have been making them lots of money, but the rises in tuition and the Government guaranteed financial aid that paid for it are the main aqueducts of wealth pouring money into the University. With this money flowing faster and in greater volume year after year, the Administration of these institutions went on wild spending sprees, as Sally chronicles. What she leaves out, as Sports is her sole focus, is that this spending flowed across the system, leading to enormous Administrative bloat, huge satrapies of bureaucracy, and great debt to fund land acquisition and new construction.*

When you show stupid people a seemingly endless stream of money, they will find a way to piss it all away. And then some. Which is exactly what they did. After all, the money poured forth from the spigots in an endless stream! Spend more of it! Build new crap! Put your names on it! Get an ugly edifice for the permanent display of your ego, and get somebody else to pay for it! Woo-hoo! Par-tay!

And then the money stopped...

Uh oh.

Oh, yes. There were warning signs. Lots of people noticed the insane rise in tuition costs, and the academically worthless crap that much of this was going to fund. And yet, we grudgingly paid it, because out little wards needed an education to get ahead in life. It's what we did lo these many years ago, before we went out into the World and scrabbled enough to afford to send our progeny off on the same path. As someone on this here Board once had as his footer, "It isn't the same path. It isn't the same river." The twin, powerful forces of entropy and stupidity have perverted what was the University into an mess of anti-learning and hive-mind craziness. Even the sciences are going "woke" to their everlasting shame.

-I had a kid (25, or thereabouts) out the other day to install a back-up generator here at The Ranch. He was sharp, well mannered, and very good at his job. Tools all laid out just so, order and sequence to his tasks. He commented on my Froggish t-shirt, opined that it was a good school. I smiled. He spoke of going to college to learn more about electrical engineering, and wanted to know what I thought. My advice was to study EE at a good local school as opposed to a University, and to get his Master Electrician as soon as he could. "All you'll get out of a big school is a lot of debt. Learn from the guys who do it for a living." A friend from back Houston way is a plumber. He makes more than I did when things were fabulous. His kids are worthless [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]s. "Studying 'Interior Design' for four years. What the hell is he gonna do with that? I tried to give the business to him, and he isn't interested in working on pipes, even though he would make five times what he can make putting in windows to let in the light..." Sigh.-

The Universities were in trouble before the Plague. They just wouldn't admit it. Even to themselves.Now the crisis is upon them, and they haven't a clue how to proceed, other than to try and scrabble any funding they can, from anywhere they can find it. Not a one of these fools has the moral courage to slash away the vast rolls of fat the Good Years have put on them, and more pain will follow before any good will take place. Wholesale changes in Administration will have to happen, and nobody fights harder than an entrenched bureaucrat when their satrapy is on the chopping block. A certain amount of ruthlessness is needed, and in the pal-ocracy of the University, this is seldom seen outside of further purging the University of BadThought.

So, the Football Season is the Great Financial Savior. Well, not really. It is a log to a drowning man, but the seas are still rough and there are sharks. Sally also leaves out the Media empires hand in this, what with ESPN crashing and bleeding out on the floor. No, the TV networks aren't driving much of this at all! Strange that such a thing would slip a Media person's mind... But, I digress.

The idea that athletes are "forced to play" is laughably absurd, and could only spill from the word-processor of a "woke journalist." Nobody is putting a gun to these kids heads. Yes, they play a hard and sometimes dangerous game. There is a helluva lot more risk of death playing football than there is from the spectre of the Plague, but no one in the Media will allow such a fact to get out. No, the image painted of poor, helpless kids buffeted about by the whims of the Rich and Powerful is the usual leftist twaddle, it's just dressed up in different clothes this time around. Bottom line: The Kids Want Their Fair Share. Who defines this "fair share"? Are they not given a free education**? Free room and board? I know quite bitterly that these items are enormously pricey otherwise. To receive such benefits in exchange for being able to perform on one of the grandest stages yet known, at the top of ones abilities? That's a damned good deal. But, evidently, that ain't good enough for some. I don't believe for a second that the kids actually playing the game came up with this. No, the scumbag communists that make up the University faculty, the grifter lawyers who would "manage" any monies that come about for the athletes, and the Media ghouls who delight in picking at wounds, twisting knives and putting pepperspray on unsuspecting folks underwear before a long drive came up with this. It matters not a whit to any of these aforementioned swine that their actions will kill what we know as College Football. It doesn't matter at all, in fact. The communist scum faculty hate football, and would gladly kill it out of pure spite. The grifters just want a score, and move on to the next one after the mark is bled dry. The Media always have a new "story" out to tout, and tomorrow's consequences are irrelevant to today's ratings. That's the story Sally ought to be looking at, but she is utterly unable to do so from inside her blinkered existence and experience at the foul creche of evil that is the WaPo. Dan weeps...

*Credit (heh...) V. Bo for paying as we went and eschewing debt on all the new construction at TCU. Yes, they have experienced the same flood of money as everybody else, but we luckily had somebody who was wise in how it was managed at the helm. Now, if he would just fire about half the Administration and Faculty...

**Graduating with a degree in African American Studies, or just about any of the "Studies" is a waste of four years. It is even worse when said worthless degree is achieved by fraudulent means, like NC State did with their players some years ago. (ESPN really glossed over that one, considering the courses, faculty, and fact that many other Universities do such things. Why the attack of scruples now, eh?) There is life after Football, and a useless "Degree" is, well, useless. I know that if I were hiring, and a resume came across my desk that listed "...Studies" or "Intersectional Gender Fluidity" or other such balderdash, said resume would go right into the roundfile. Such persons possess few evident skills, save arguing absurdities, and would contribute nothing to any enterprise save strife and annoyance. No matter how big their Brilesboobs are. I would venture to say that Sally ought to look into the ghastly tripe that passes for Degrees foisted upon athletes in these sad times to keep them eligible for the duration of their stay. A University is not being a terribly good steward of their charges if they give them nothing tangible in return for their labors, and a worthless Degree is of no tangible benefit except that it is a sheepskin that says they have a Degree. Hell, based on solely that, Sally might have a point!
communist scum faculty? geez.

BrewingFrog

Damn.
I bet Brewing drives the Black Rifle Coffee Company Prius Vulcan too.

Electric cars aren't good for a damned thing except yanking the wires and running my home air conditioner when those stupid windmills don't generate any power.

I mounted two of those spiffy GAU-8 Cannons on top of my F-250. Diesel power, diesel torque, diesel air pollution, twin 30mm depleted uranium goodness! I make up for two or three Priuses!

Froglaw

Sally Jenkins is an idiot with a weight problem. Her illustrious career includes defending the likes of Joe Paterno and Lance Armstrong

So says the FAN of the most money based football program in the history of the NCAA!

Maybe Craig James and Eric Dickerson should write a counter piece?

Title suggestion: We got illegal payments and brought down SMU football for three decades.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Electric cars aren't good for a damned thing except yanking the wires and running my home air conditioner when those stupid windmills don't generate any power.

I mounted two of those spiffy GAU-8 Cannons on top of my F-250. Diesel power, diesel torque, diesel air pollution, twin 30mm depleted uranium goodness! I make up for two or three Priuses!
So that would be a no on the decaf, yes?

AroundWorldFrog

Almost exactly what my dad told me. "Wait until you can't get that stuff. You'll like it black just fine. " Coming from the WWII/Burma vet. You couldn't get ANYTHING in Burma except VD. And malaria/distentary.
So how many cases of "malaria" did your old man get?

j/k

AroundWorldFrog

I understand who her old man was, but man, there is a lot of wrongness in that article. I really wonder how many of today's athletes would trade a few grand of compensation to play in the equivalent of WT Barrett stadium (reference for you West Texas folk). But hell, I don't know. Maybe they would give up all the bling for some cash.

5037ed29ee0d2.image.jpg

Wonder when Smoo last got 20,000 fans at a game.

WIN

I understand who her old man was, but man, there is a lot of wrongness in that article. I really wonder how many of today's athletes would trade a few grand of compensation to play in the equivalent of WT Barrett stadium (reference for you West Texas folk). But hell, I don't know. Maybe they would give up all the bling for some cash.

5037ed29ee0d2.image.jpg

Wonder when Smoo last got 20,000 fans at a game.

Seen 20,000 TCU fans in their stadium.

jack the frog

Nope. Nopitty nope nope. The fools at Starbucks 1.) Always burn their beans, 2.) Do you really want some multi-pierced, chicken-necked twit touching your beloved coffee mug? Ugh... 3.) Have a ton of delicious scones, and shortbreads, and sweet things that will inflate me like a zeppelin. And I will eat them all.

No, it's far safer to stay home and drink my own.

To paraphrase Dennis Miller, some kid with a barrel ring through a butt cheek...

HG73

So how many cases of "malaria" did your old man get?

j/k
He did have malaria, they all did. Treated it with something, quinine maybe? Some had it worse than others, they all just worked through it. Some of the others got VD. Or so Dad said.

He always said that WWII was his college. The lifelong friends, the worldly "education" he received through a trip around the world and living with men from around the country from all walks of life. That crappy little veterinarian MASH outfit in [ Finebaum ]ehole Burma had reunions every other year all over the country and he never missed a one until there were only four or five of them left. You would have thought they were the Doolittle Raiders.

Please stop the profanity filters.

AroundWorldFrog

He did have malaria, they all did. Treated it with something, quinine maybe? Some had it worse than others, they all just worked through it. Some of the others got VD. Or so Dad said.

He always said that WWII was his college. The lifelong friends, the worldly "education" he received through a trip around the world and living with men from around the country from all walks of life. That crappy little veterinarian MASH outfit in [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]ehole Butma had reunions every other year all over the country and he never missed a one until there were only four or five of them left. You would have thought they were the Doolittle Raiders.
He wasn't actually part of the Flying Tigers was he? I guess I never looked your picture before that closely.

HG73

He wasn't actually part of the Flying Tigers was he? I guess I never looked your picture before that closely.
No, he was a tech sergeant in a veterinary MASH hospital in charge of a squadron of mules in Burma. Who did he piss off to get that posting? As he said, it kept a rifle out of his hands. :)

My picture is actually of P-39s in New Guinea. It has no significance whatsoever except that it was the only photo that would load back many years ago when I was less computer literate.