• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Moose Stuff

Chongo94

BTW, @Portland Frog, I believe a few games start today so set your dvr if you don’t want to miss them.

Forget what I said, @Portland Frog...unfortunately @dawg was right in regards to CBS airing or rather not airing the games ugh.

They are only going to air 3 (3!) games the rest of the way on their main channel or cbs sports I guess. The rest are all on their streaming service.

Such a scheiss show. CBS might be the worst network for the champions league and that’s saying something after Turner’s interesting attempt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...-today-tv-schedule/1ex0nw2mor9hv1ms1s6iguq6kt

Portland Frog

Some interesting and smart replies. This continued push to make everything streaming may eventually backfire.

I wonder if this is just for US only? Do folks in Europe also only have access to these games via a streaming service? This same question applies to the recent FA Cup final (only on ESPN+ in US).

Chongo94

I wonder if this is just for US only? Do folks in Europe also only have access to these games via a streaming service? This same question applies to the recent FA Cup final (only on ESPN+ in US).

I know until the last few years that we in the states had far more viewing options and games aired on tv.

I think Amazon and some others have helped Europe more in providing more options but I’m not totally sure what it looks like these days.

dawg

Forget what I said, @Portland Frog...unfortunately @dawg was right in regards to CBS airing or rather not airing the games ugh.

They are only going to air 3 (3!) games the rest of the way on their main channel or cbs sports I guess. The rest are all on their streaming service.

Such a scheiss show. CBS might be the worst network for the champions league and that’s saying something after Turner’s interesting attempt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...-today-tv-schedule/1ex0nw2mor9hv1ms1s6iguq6kt

Yeah, [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ]. Sadly, this where sports is heading.

Last edited:

dawg

I know until the last few years that we in the states had far more viewing options and games aired on tv.

I think Amazon and some others have helped Europe more in providing more options but I’m not totally sure what it looks like these days.

The US football supporters, until recently, had it better viewing-wise than those in Europe. In the UK, for example, you'd need subscriptions to Sky Sports (most EPL matches and League Cup) and BT Sports (additional EPL, the FA Cup, CL and EL, plus a few other leagues), which runs £70 a month. Here, for my $50 YouTubeTV subscription, I got pretty much everything. NBC does a great job with EPL. Fox had Bundesliga, FA Cup, and CL on the main Fox channel, FS1, and FS2. Serie A popped up occasionally on broadcast channels.

Then ESPN moved Serie A to ESPN+. Mother Mouse also just bought Bundeslia rights, which will conveniently move exclusively* to ESPN+. NBC is moving more EPL matches to Peacock. Now CBS. Ugh.

*EDIT: Apparently "select" matches will air on ESPN broadcast networks.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...adcast-bundesliga-in-the-usa-august-2020-7272

Purp

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Champions League returns! It will be interesting to see if any EPL teams can advance. Chelsea will bow out gracefully (or not so lol) to Bayern tomorrow. Question: if you are a fan of any EPL teams, do you root for them against other European teams or no, if they are teams you "hate?" Example: do you root for Man City this weekend, even if you don't like them, because they are in the EPL?
I want City to lose every game they play always. Same for Chelsea, if I'm being honest. So, too, for United. About the only other clubs I always want to see lose are Barca/Real Madrid, Bayern, and PSG. If I cared more about Serie A I'd also root against AC Milan and Juve. I very much root against historic front runners unless it's my hometown team, but the Cowboys are the only team that might fit that description even though they've sucked for well over half my life.

Purp

CBS makes the NCAA Tournament so painful to watch. I've long considered it the worst network for sports of every type. I only watch games on CBS b/c I care about the event or player/team. If I've got other options with no dog in the hunt I choose another network EVERY single time.

dawg

I want City to lose every game they play always. So, too, for United.

I've reached the point where I refuse to keep paying extra for another channel.

post-32842-ron-swanson-yep-gif-yes-yup-fu-qhg3-28gotd8.gif

Chongo94

CBS makes the NCAA Tournament so painful to watch. I've long considered it the worst network for sports of every type. I only watch games on CBS b/c I care about the event or player/team. If I've got other options with no dog in the hunt I choose another network EVERY single time.

COMPLETELY AGREE. This is gonna be awful. UEFA and Fifa will quickly find that out.

Chongo94

Great reply from Wahl; I watched USA 94, France 98, and Korea/Japan 2002 on Univison/Telemundo.

Yeah that was one that got me thinking too and he’s exactly right. Crazy to think that but it’s definitely closer to the truth than an exaggeration.