• The KillerFrogs

Jason Whitlock article on GP

steelfrog

Tier 1
JW is exactly correct, and Shannon Sharpe (if you haven't seen his rant, look it up) is exactly wrong.

Gary WAS wrong to handle this the way he did, he recognized he was wrong, and he apologized. Case closed. Calls for suspension or firing are totally ridiculous.

Our society big picture really sucks, the whole tendency to cancel someone's life for one transgression. And the people who have suffered most from this are black people and other minorities. "Oh, you possessed cocaine! Oh, you possessed pot! Here, we're going to lock you up for oh, say, 10 years, and then you'll never vote again and good luck getting a college education or a job."

See how that works? Kinda sucks when it happens to your sacred cows. For a segment of our society, it's part of their life that they must constantly worry about.

Purp

Worth a read.

I'd never paid attention to Whitlock until a couple weeks ago. I heard him on the radio and he made some very good points that I'd heard nobody even attempt to make in the last 2 months. I'm going to seek him out more. I like that he's not a one-trick pony in sports journalism. He's articulate and intelligent. He also seems to be principled, which is the biggest reason why I'm more interested than ever in what he has to say.

Moose Stuff

JW is exactly correct, and Shannon Sharpe (if you haven't seen his rant, look it up) is exactly wrong.

Gary WAS wrong to handle this the way he did, he recognized he was wrong, and he apologized. Case closed. Calls for suspension or firing are totally ridiculous.

Our society big picture really sucks, the whole tendency to cancel someone's life for one transgression. And the people who have suffered most from this are black people and other minorities. "Oh, you possessed cocaine! Oh, you possessed pot! Here, we're going to lock you up for oh, say, 10 years, and then you'll never vote again and good luck getting a college education or a job."

See how that works? Kinda sucks when it happens to your sacred cows. For a segment of our society, it's part of their life that they must constantly worry about.

I wouldn't say he was wrong in how he handled it. He simply said a word that he shouldn't have said. Everything else about what he was trying to do was exactly right.

mesohornedfrog

This was a good article, but let's pump the brakes on the Whitlock praise. He is the journalistic equivalent of a shock jock, and built a career off of writing and saying things to get people fired up. He's very good at his job (pissing a lot of people off by writing contrarian opinions that I'm not even sure he believes most of the time) but I had to unfollow him several years ago just based on the absurdity of most of his 'takes.'

Ultimately, he is what Muck wishes he was, an intelligent writer who can get people talking and elicit strong opinions with all of his articles. Not my cup of tea.

HToady

Unfortunately, the "bosses" feel compelled to succumb to the loudest complainers. This will come back to haunt them when the "paying folk" start withholding their economic support. It's already happening with the NFL, I just hope that TCU remembers what happened when they thought it was a good idea to have a gay dorm.

Eight

Let's just hope he doesn't realize Whitlock works with Clay Travis.

FatherlyVerifiableCopperhead-max-1mb.gif

Eight

Unfortunately, the "bosses" feel compelled to succumb to the loudest complainers. This will come back to haunt them when the "paying folk" start withholding their economic support. It's already happening with the NFL, I just hope that TCU remembers what happened when they thought it was a good idea to have a gay dorm.

callng tom brown a gay dorm is a bit harsh

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Tom Brown was a "gay dorm"? Since when?

I learned a lot about optics and magnification on the 3rd floor, north side of that venerable old building...

Moose Stuff

This was a good article, but let's pump the brakes on the Whitlock praise. He is the journalistic equivalent of a shock jock, and built a career off of writing and saying things to get people fired up. He's very good at his job (pissing a lot of people off by writing contrarian opinions that I'm not even sure he believes most of the time) but I had to unfollow him several years ago just based on the absurdity of most of his 'takes.'

Ultimately, he is what Muck wishes he was, an intelligent writer who can get people talking and elicit strong opinions with all of his articles. Not my cup of tea.

So how about YOU just keep tapping the breaks on him and let the rest of us make up our own minds. That work for you?

YA

NFL ratings were up last year--might need a new talking point

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-ratings-increase-for-second-straight-year-11578006629