• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football won’t play SMU for just the second time this century

ECM

I’ve always wondered who the TCU fans that want to kill the SMU series would replace us with. You’re not playing two P5 OOC games. Financially, does it make sense to add two more buy games with some Sun Belt team every two years, in addition to what you’re paying for an FCS game each year? The only other series that makes sense for a straight up home and home as a G5 is probably Houston, and based on the past 20 years or so that’s going to be a tougher road game every other year than at SMU. Otherwise maybe you do a 2-for-1 with school in a hot recruiting area like La Tech or Tulane? Those don’t seem like the most appealing opponents to kill off a 100-year rivalry. Maybe y’all are just scared of what Sonny (Dykes) is cooking all of the sudden? (Kidding)

Hell Sent Frog

I’ve always wondered who the TCU fans that want to kill the SMU series would replace us with. You’re not playing two P5 OOC games. Financially, does it make sense to add two more buy games with some Sun Belt team every two years, in addition to what you’re paying for an FCS game each year? The only other series that makes sense for a straight up home and home as a G5 is probably Houston, and based on the past 20 years or so that’s going to be a tougher road game every other year than at SMU. Otherwise maybe you do a 2-for-1 with school in a hot recruiting area like La Tech or Tulane? Those don’t seem like the most appealing opponents to kill off a 100-year rivalry. Maybe y’all are just scared of what Sonny (Dykes) is cooking all of the sudden? (Kidding)

TCU needs to prioritize the rivalries it has in the Big 12.

The Horned Frogs should continue playing a G5 school every year, including SMU from time to time. But the Horned Frogs OOC games should not be characterized as a rivalry or tradition.

The Frogs have nine round robin conference games every year, that’s enough of playing the same teams every year.

Last edited:

Eight

if the skillet is such a big tradition why did i never once hear about it during my time in school?

went to each of the games, followed the teams, and did so after graduation and never heard of the skillet until someone found the thing in a closet or a bed, bath, and beyond off mockingbird.

honestly, don't give a damn about a trophy that is so much a tradition it was lost for decades

if the skillet is such a big tradition why did i never once hear about it during my time in school?

went to each of the games, followed the teams, and did so after graduation and never heard of the skillet until someone found the thing in a closet or a bed, bath, and beyond off mockingbird.

honestly, don't give a damn about a trophy that is so much a tradition it was lost for decades
You obviously weren't paying attention.

TRF51

The location is ideal and easy to go too. They are not terrible, at least not last year but will they sustain that? I would be okay with playing other group of five schools at home like most other power five programs do. I don't care about the tradition or the so called rivalry. Florida Florida St is rivalry because they are equals. SMU is not our equal. We should be doing 2 for 1s with programs like SMU, not 1 for 1. I would like to see different teams every couple of years since we already play a 9 game conference schedule.

dawg

IMHO we should keep renewing the series. Rivalries (and the hate and/or disdain that accompanies them) are part of what makes CFB special. The problem is, with the exception of a three or four years, SMOO has been hot garbage most of the past 20. Thump them and no one cares. Win close and it’s “oh what’s wrong with TCU?” Lose, and it looks terrible. If they’d have been 8-4 in 2014, would that have mattered? Probably not because crooked committee gonna crooked committee, but maybe. Perhaps Dykes sticks around and gets them decent. Yes, it’s their SB and our players maybe don’t get fired up as much as they do for wHorn, Tech, WRI, etc, but should beat them nine of ten years.

Salfrog

Tier 1
I don't mind playing SMU, but I don't feel we should be playing them every year. Maybe schedule them every 4-5 years. I would like to see us play other Texas teams on a rotating schedule like Rice, Houston, University of North Texas, Texas State, UTEP. Maybe even step out of the state and play teams neighboring Texas in New Mexico & Louisiana.

ECM

SMU's AD is quoted in the DMN today saying they offered to come back to FW for 2020.
Rick is being disingenuous if we offered to come to FW this year and play in Dallas next year—obviously there’s no reason for TCU to agree to that with capacities at games being drastically limited this season. But if SMU simply offered to play this year’s game in FW and TCU declined, then Gary is dodging the game in favor of a weaker opponent to pad the win total.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

The Skillet was lost out of simple apathy. When the Letterman's Lounge was being renovated, they moved out all the furniture and found it had fallen behind a TV stand in a corner of the room. It took a little while for the workmen to find somebody that knew what it was. Really, it's sort of a wonder that it wasn't just heaved into a dumpster. Just another rusted old skillet all covered in cobwebs...

Relic

I will miss the SMU games, the history of shenanigans (some weak, yes), and don't see another out-of-conference team I'd rather play. But I'm also old and miss the SWC...

ifrog

In the past 5-10 years SMU has been a lose lose situation for us. We get no benefit from beating them if we are in the run for a CFP berth. They just bring down our strength of schedule.